Central PA AdVentureRide April 18th

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
ReCycled
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Central PA AdVentureRide April 18th

Post by ReCycled » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:37 pm

This ride is organized by a couple of guys on the AdventureRiders forum. Three of us enjoyed this ride on our Urals in '17.
(admittedly we didn't quite complete the route due to time lost performing a roadside donut replacement) I don't know the exact route as it varies from year to year but they go to much effort to string together lightly travelled rural backroads. Should be a fun day and I know we have some new rigs in the area :)
Here's the link to AdvRider, but the details are quoted below; https://advrider.com/f/threads/12th-ann ... 0.1430301/

" Date: Saturday April 18th 2020

Time: Riders Meeting at 0900

Where: McDonald's / GIANT parking lot, Newport, PA

GPS: 40.492804,-77.113692

What: 150 mile Mixed Surface Adventure Loop, consisting of both asphalt and gravel roads.
Gas stops and a Lunch stop are planned into the route.

Format: Self guided Roll Chart ride. (Pre printed roll charts will be provided free of charge on the morning of the ride. Roll chart holders are highly recommended)

We will be meeting in the parking lot of the GIANT just outside of Newport Pa, near the intersection of routes PA322 and PA34. Please arrive early enough to get gas, load your roll chart, and hang out and get reacquainted. Like always we will have a brief riders meeting, and then get under way by 0915.

This year we again ask that everyone please sign up on the IN list, so that we have enough roll charts printed out for everyone that needs one. (I have transferred all of the names from Doc's thread, over to the IN list, so if you signed up over there, you should be good to go). If you want a roll chart, please show up on the 13th to ride the event.

Also, we would appreciate that everyone understands that we work hard on our routes and roll charts, and are protective of them. We would like to keep our route in the form of a roll chart ride, which is shared with you all on the day of the event. Because of that, we ask that the GPS tracks are not posted up on facebook, or shared on here, or any other open forums for the world to see. In the past we have had people trying to be helpful, and posted up our routes, but we would like to avoid that sort of thing again this year. Thanks in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

The is a loop, and ends back at the same GIANT. We hope to see a bunch of you come out and enjoy the day with us again.

So who's IN? "
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

tskorka
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Central PA AdVentureRide April 18th

Post by tskorka » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:50 am

I am interested, thanks for posting!
Harrisburg, PA

Stable:
2015 Ural cT
2004 Ninja 250 cafe
2012 Yamaha XT 250
2002 Mini Cooper S
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JLU

uraldude

Post by uraldude » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:18 am

I'll be there!

That was a great ride.
ADV 2016.jpg
I knew I had a picture from the start of the ride.
It turns out that 2016 was the last time we were up there.

Thanks ReCycled for tracking down this ride!

It's always fun showing up for a ride and not knowing where we are going, and what we are getting into.
Those guys put in a lot of work getting it organized.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JD

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:02 pm

It looks like fun, especially if David and JD are going.
If it looks like I can do that ride on my Retro, and I can get away from “things” down here, I’d definitely like to go.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:37 pm

The 2016 ride was great.
I highly recommend it.
I sadly can't go this year because I will be en route to Arkansas that day. :cry:

While it was mostly dual sports and bigger adventure bikes, some guy did it on a Harley so a Retro would probably be OK.
If I recall rightly the two biggest challenges were a water crossing and a steep non-stop climb to some place called "Television Tower" hill.

The water was deepish, but had a firm bottom so as long as you stayed steady and didn't go splashing in and drown the bike, you were good.
The steep hill climb was on a gravel road, sometimes rutted or off-camber.
The key to conquering that was DON'T STOP.
It was steep enough that you likely wouldn't get going again if you came to a stop.
You just had to kick it all the way down and keep the revs up until you hit the top.

ReCycled had a roll chart holder and we just followed him as it was a small group,
If you have a roll chart holder, I'd mount it to the bike and pick up a chart at the morning meeting.
It never hurts to have more than one person knowing the route especially if you have to split up.

As JD said, we did 90% of the ride.
Being a little slower and having a minor mechanical mishap, we cut off a loop towards the end to get back to the starting point.
If I recall the ride was physically challenging as it was early-ish in the riding season; the riding muscles weren't use to a 150 mile ride on a mix of dirt asphalt and gravel.

ReCycled

Post by ReCycled » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:13 pm

Since it's a new route every year and they reference this year being a bit tamer in the link, I would think it to be Retro friendly... worse case would be a minor detour.
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

GabeeV07

Post by GabeeV07 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Seems like it has a big turn up, looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully me and my dad go!
Max’s son (mracer)

1965 MB750
1958 M72H/750cc engine swap
2010 Ural Red October
2013 Ural Retro
Gone but not forgotten - 1997 Ural/BMW conversion (R60/5)
Gone but not forgotten - 198? MT-16
+ 2006 Nissan Maxima as first car :D