Who is going to Sturgis?

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Who is going to Sturgis?

Post by harryball » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:37 am

Or should I say HOW to go to Sturgis?

So, let's pretend my wife and I are insane enough to ride to Sturgis (Rally starts August 2nd in 2019).

Who else is going?

I'm really thinking since we will be within 600 miles of it on our current trip plan, we should at least "ride through" to say we been there done that.

Thoughts on how to do this? I looked up a few hotels IN Sturgis and uh, no. Not paying $300/night for hotel or $70/night for a tent site.

I'm thinking stay 50+ miles away, ride in one morning, if we "like" it come back the next morning otherwise move on somewhere else?

Those that have done it, share some wisdom? Thoughts? Suggestions? Is there a Ural meet up one day?
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

jeffsaline
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Who is going to Sturgis?

Post by jeffsaline » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:09 am

The Sturgis rally now encompasses the entire Black Hills area. Fifty miles out will still be part of the rally. You can probably show up on 31 July and not miss much except some of the crowds. In most cases the last day for many vendors and rally goers will be Saturday, 10 Aug. Lots of attendees head home on that weekend so they can get back to work on Monday. Usually it is like two crowds, the early attendees and the late attendees. Seems the overlap is in the middle of rally week.

I don't recall hearing about Ural gatherings during the rally but I don't have much interest in the rally either so don't pay much attention to it. The Ural dealership is Outdoor Motorsports in Spearfish. They don't have much on hand for Ural parts in my experience but they are willing to order parts which often take the better part of a week to arrive.

My suggestion if you want to experience crowds and congestion on many roads is attend the rally. If you would prefer a less intense population and more "normal" experience show up way before the rally or a week after the rally ends.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:49 am

Well.... I am only about 1.5 hours away. I would definitely make the time to meet up with ya if you came into this area. We will not be back in the area until the 5th though. I would check out Custer crazy Horse Campground. https://www.custercrazyhorsecampground.com/cabins That is where we had our SPUR last month. They LOVE Ural riders. It is a short, beautiful ride from Sturgis, and a great spot to stay. Let me know you thoughts/plans.
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

NxtGoRnd

Post by NxtGoRnd » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:01 am

harryball wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:37 am
Or should I say HOW to go to Sturgis?

So, let's pretend my wife and I are insane enough to ride to Sturgis (Rally starts August 2nd in 2019).

Who else is going?

I'm really thinking since we will be within 600 miles of it on our current trip plan, we should at least "ride through" to say we been there done that.

Thoughts on how to do this? I looked up a few hotels IN Sturgis and uh, no. Not paying $300/night for hotel or $70/night for a tent site.

I'm thinking stay 50+ miles away, ride in one morning, if we "like" it come back the next morning otherwise move on somewhere else?

Those that have done it, share some wisdom? Thoughts? Suggestions? Is there a Ural meet up one day?
If I were going again I would ride some of the same routes last time was 2003 then 1999, 1998.
Things I enjoyed seeing and doing....

Custer's Loop
Needles Highway
Badlands but man was it hot!
Mount Rushmore
Spearfish Canyon
Crazy Horse Memorial
Deadwood
Wall Drugs If you are out that way, maybe not as famous as it once was.

Ride out to Hulett Wyoming not very far and see Devils Tower maybe take in No Panties Wednesday in Hulett if you like that.
Any riding in the Black Hills is pretty nice and cooler in the higher elevations.
See the hill climbs awesome event.

So Sturgis.....Lots a people, lots a bikers, good place to people watch,very crowded traffic hardly moves.
Lots of T-Shirt sales, lots of jewelry, lots of leather, lots of bandanas.
Beaucoup (Boo Koo) Bars and alcohol.
There is plenty of entertainment, bands and music, wall of death, stunt shows and people screwing up.

Lodging, we usually went in and rented a house for how long we were going to stay one year in Rapid City one year just outside Rapid City many people leave and rent their places that week. Further out the cheaper whether tent space or motel.

Oh and the rumble never stops 24 hrs everyday you hear the Harley rumble, even in Rapid City the sound never stopped.

Cheers :cheers:
Tony
2012 Ural Gear Up Gobi Desert Camo
2000 BMW R1150GS
1995 Suzuki DR250SE

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by harryball » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:08 am

Good info. In simple terms, we could include Sturgis in our currently planned trip which already has a point less than 600 miles from it... so this seems an obligation to at least broaden our loop for the return trip and go so we can say "been there done that". However, I'm not one that likes crowds and chaos nor sitting in traffic jammed roads for 4 hours straight trying to go 10 miles.

Custer may be a better choice, then just ride toward Sturgis, turn around and come back if it begins to not be fun. We've visited the area before, just not during the Rally. Hoping for a "tag and run" experience more than going to join in.

We are still planning, so far we should arrive in St. Paul MN on our about Sunday, July 27th. We will leave that area the following Friday and... go somewhere in a loop going back to Atlanta area. One year we went up to the Mackinac bridge, came down through MI, thought maybe we could go across WI and take the Lake MI Ferry over this time, OR we could head West to pick up Sturgis then turn South to loop back. Already done Yellowstone and Devils Tower when we did out Habitat For Bats programs back in 2015. Too many options!
---
Robert

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:33 am

I always enjoyed the rally on two wheels. Or I thought I did until I had the Ural Patrol (sidecar) there two years in a row and I never had as much fun at the rally as I did on the Ural!

Harryball, Urals get a LOT of attention at the rally, and if it does rain and the campground gets muddy, Urals are a LOT of fun! Where they dont do as well is out on I-90...they are too slow to keep up with the fast traffic so it's advisable to stay on the two lanes everywhere you go if possible.

I'm actually considering going this year, but finances are tight...so it's not a done deal yet.

Yes, it's typical to pay about $30 per one night for a tent spot, but you know, it's a RALLY...you can get that down to less than $10 a night if you stay for more nights in some campgrounds. Campgrounds usually have showers, laundry, food vendors, entertainment, ice, beer, etc.

Many homeowners in the area rent out tent spaces on their front lawns for bikers, you will see signs or banners, these are typically $10-$15 a night and often include a daily breakfast and some kind of free shower setup. You will be close to all your tenting neighbors and it will often be noisy due to motorcycle traffic on the streets.

And there is actually some free camping in the area, typically BLM land or National Forest camping with no services at all.

My favorite campgrounds over the years have been:

Days End Campground (right in town, busy, family owned, daily rates)

Kickstands Campground (used to be called ElkView, a few miles from Sturgis, lots of trees and grass, good food)

Glencoe Campground (my all time favorite, motorcycle/tent ONLY camping section, all kinds of food vendors, concerts, debauchery in 'Pervert Road also called Titty Alley, close to Buffalo Chip and Pappy Hoel/Full Throttle campgrounds) One rate: $200.

Buffalo Chip Campground (expensive $300+, no trees, busy as hell, dusty, dirty, or muddy, HUGE headliner bands all week long, parties all night, saw a stabbing there one time, not recommended unless you want to see a particular concert, if so, then just pay for that)

Dragpipe Saloon is probably one of the cheapest campgrounds, it barely qualifies as a 'campground'. But it's cheap and close to all the action on the east end of Sturgis.

Mt Rushmore is worth seeing if you have not seen it, Devils Tower worth a trip, Deadwood is a LOT of fun if you like to play slots and people-watch, Saloon #10 is my favorite in Deadwood.

https://www.saloon10.com/

Lori, the owner of Saloon #10, can be seen in this photo, shes the blonde in the middle between the two redheads: https://www.saloon10.com/contact.html Say hello for me!

Spearfish Canyon, Iron Mountain Road and Needles Highway are absolutely gorgeous rides, but can be a bit challenging for sidecars, lots of sweeping curves, so GO SLOW.

If I go this year I will most likely be staying at Kickstands Campground:

https://kickstandsllc.com/

Kickstands is on I-90 but there is a 'backway' along paved and dirt road over to HWY 34 that lets you avoid the freeway.

This is the same campground that the Ural Rally was at a few years back....its's really a nice area, and only a few miles from all the action, plus its convenient to Rapid City along the south frontage roads, avoiding the higher speeds on I-90.

If you stay, and I'm there, I'll meet you somewhere and buy you a beer!
Last edited by tx2sturgis on Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Current Ural: 2013 Ural Solo sT

Previous Ural: 2013 Ural Patrol

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:00 pm

Sturgis has a little pirate radio station, that can be heard online:

http://www.knkl.net

They have a small 100 milliwatt AM transmitter at the Knuckle Saloon, and this music and voice promos and ads are also played on Main Street and over several FM stations in the Black Hills area during the rally.

If you drop in to the studio, say hello to Phil, I assume he is still running it.

Here are a few webcams, some are working, some aren't.

http://sturgiszone.com/sturgis-web-cam/

https://sturgismotorcyclerally.com/inde ... ge=webcams

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:22 pm

Well I pulled the trigger with a wristband purchase online for Glencoe Campground.

So....I'm going....who else?

Ajax
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Ajax » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:13 am

A fellow Uralist and I start heading to Deadwood, SD from Portland, OR on the 31st. Plan to ride through the Sawtooth range in ID, Hemingway's Memorial, and a night in Yellowstone as well. The 5th we plan to roll into Deadwood. My riding partner is using her points so the hotel is free.

Roll out of Deadwood is on the 7th. Then she heads home and I continue on for a National Parks tour. Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, route 66, Death Valley, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite, and Hwy 101 back to Portland, OR. I plan to get full use of my National Parks Access Pass. LOL :boogie:
2004 Tourist 65k km (new to me 2018 @ 48k km)
2018 Gear Up that I have the pleasure of maintaining for the girlfriend

Gural
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gural » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:05 am

I am. Myself and another Ural. We are taking six days worth of back roads before we arrive. We plan to be there Aug 5/6/7. You?

Gural
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gural » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:07 am

Haaaa. As I continue to read I see AJAX has already posted for us.

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:22 am

I will come over one of those nights to say howdy if I can. I'd love to meet up!
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:40 pm

I'm currently near Casper, will be heading in to the Black Hills in a few days via Gillette and maybe Keyhole State Park...dang it must be nice to live a few hours from Sturgis....well, except maybe in the winter!

RC20

Post by RC20 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:19 pm

Being asocial I sure would not go to Sturgis (I am working on the persona for Ural questions and doing pretty well I think as a low level Ural ambassador)

Bad memories of SD being flat and a windstorm (no blizzard) that had sand dune type drifts across the Interstate.

Packed my left side drums (old days) so when I went to stop to pee, Bronco went nuts.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by harryball » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:00 pm

Our schedule got pushed around to the point we can't make it there and back home in time. Maybe next year. We are still on our trip to St Paul, but when we leave we gotta head back.
---
Robert