Florida to Alaska 2019

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
sbaker

Re: Florida to Alaska 2019

Post by sbaker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:31 pm

if you are in the back woods and have to stop to pee.... leave the engine running!!!!!!

LaughingBuddha

Post by LaughingBuddha » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:40 pm

sbaker wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:31 pm
if you are in the back woods and have to stop to pee.... leave the engine running!!!!!!
I've noticed that it takes a little to restart if I kill it after a long ride
"Live the Life you Love and Love the Life you Live" :cheers:
1995 Honda Magna
1999 Kawasaki Ninja 750
1994 Honda Magna
2001 Honda CBR 929RR
1984 Honda Goldwing GL1100
2000 Kawasaki KZ1000 Retire Portland Police
2013 Harley RoadGlide
2018 Ural Gear Up
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYK5CP ... X0YHIurtjQ[/youtube]

LaughingBuddha

Post by LaughingBuddha » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:42 pm

harryball wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:00 am
So, if we ever make the trip, I can take my shotgun so long as I have Bear Deterrent engraved on the stock. Got it! :roll:

We have considered a Georgia to Alaska run for some time now, the problem is getting enough contiguous time free to make it. I envy your trip, good luck and be careful.
Actually you can check in a shotgun.. it's the handgun you can't.

Yeah I actually sold everything and pretty much left my job.
1995 Honda Magna
1999 Kawasaki Ninja 750
1994 Honda Magna
2001 Honda CBR 929RR
2013 Harley RoadGlide
2018 Ural Gear Up

2016sahara
Comrade
Comrade

Post by 2016sahara » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:21 am

I did the ride last year but left from Georgia. Make sure you take an extra tire in addition to the spare. Tires are scarce in Alaska and the chip-seal roads eat them up. Stay ahead of the fluid changes and the lube schedule. Enjoy the adventure and keep a sharp eye out for the wildlife...especially if they are moving near the road. They are unpredictable. Bring several pairs of cold weather waterproof gloves. If you're bored and wish to read my ride report here, it's entitled "Bless his heart". Good luck and safe travels.
2016 GU "FogHat"
North Georgia
2001 FLSTC
2003 FXDWG

Patrick

LaughingBuddha

Post by LaughingBuddha » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:18 am

2016sahara wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:21 am
I did the ride last year but left from Georgia. Make sure you take an extra tire in addition to the spare. Tires are scarce in Alaska and the chip-seal roads eat them up. Stay ahead of the fluid changes and the lube schedule. Enjoy the adventure and keep a sharp eye out for the wildlife...especially if they are moving near the road. They are unpredictable. Bring several pairs of cold weather waterproof gloves. If you're bored and wish to read my ride report here, it's entitled "Bless his heart". Good luck and safe travels.
Thank you. I'm finding my rear tires are getting low on the thread already only after 1500 miles.
1995 Honda Magna
1999 Kawasaki Ninja 750
1994 Honda Magna
2001 Honda CBR 929RR
2013 Harley RoadGlide
2018 Ural Gear Up

Manscout
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Manscout » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:17 pm

Post a route once you have it planned.
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:38 pm

I run Duro 308. I can get around 3500 miles on the pusher’s tire - enough to get me across the United States. Don’t know about a 2018, but on my 2011 I can swap the pusher with the hack tire and change them both out after around 7000 miles, which, coincidentally, is about the time the front tire also needs replacement.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

RC20

Post by RC20 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:48 pm

First you need to think about the route. By road from Seattle to Anchorage it is 2500 miles. You can shorten that by going to Prince and the Ferry from there, or you can take it back to Rupert of Bellingham. Usually space for a cycle with no issue or reservations. Sailing date are not always convenient.

Crossing in Central Washington is a good route as its a lovely stretch up a lake valley. You can opt to go up and over to the left to Kamloops or veer off to the right and go through Jasper and Banf (both wind up at Prince George)

After that if you go by Road you can go on up to Dawson Creek - there is a cutoff tghat looks good but is twisty so its slower. Nice ride but slows you down a lot.

Are you tent camping or rooming? I know rooms are tough to get in summer, went through Tok (50 miles over the border in AK) having been soaked, frozen then cooked and wanted a shower and clean room, Nada, I wound up camping and a bottle bath (waters over the head get the worst of the stink off)

Bugs can be fierce more so if you camp. One campground out of Haines Junction I got swarmed and they were flying into a hard wind. Skeeters never fly into hard wind. those had to be locally adapted. Allergic to em so a real no fun night.

In that case the helmet comes off or stays on (if you can stand it) gloves and if Helmet off head net on and easy access immediately.

Spare wheel yes but at least a spare tube to (two is not too many), Only Ural dealer is South of Fairbanks 100 miles (Delta Unction). Cycle places can and will service, but not as good with tubes as those are far less common now.

the Headlight guard is a good deal. Its mostly paved but lots of sections under repair or redo and you can have 10-20 miles of gravel in both Canada and AK (not sure what activation in AK this year but will fine out in a week).

You will need some oil changes, plan ahead. Ural in Ferndale Washington just North of Bellingham carries the Motul line and are nice to deal with but line out in advance as they are busy. You may want to carry your own.

Carry Haevy Rain gear, Helly Hansons, Carheart has a good heavy rain jacket with a snap off hood (you don't want a hood with a helmet) - you want it large as it will go over all (it weill be cold if its raining so you will need gear under)

Small cooler for ice if nothing else, hitting 90s in Oregon was a lesson.

Extra fuel good, the 2.5 gal add is fine. Never pass up a gas station. If its only 80 miles, fill up, you can pull up, up card in top up and go. As noted, sometimes small operation in between simply close. All smaller towns will have gas, some may have hours of operation.

The tour I know best is Whitehorse to Haines Junction , fill up at Whitehorse and good to Haines Junction.

Along Klaunae Lake Destitution Bay will have gas and Burwash Landing White Rive may or may not. Beaver Creek will. Just over the Border Scotty creek will then 40 miles to Northway JUnction. Tok will for sure. Been too long since I went Fairbanks way not sure.

A bit barren Tok to Gulkana though I think one place ok (pump was iffy one time there though they got me enough to make Gulakna) Glennallen to Palmer has some, gas up Eureka or Sheep mountain area.

Get the AK Milepost, its got good mileage and good info but i can be out of date.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:54 pm

RC20, nice rundown
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:11 pm

Some good advice from RC20.

I lived in Fairbanks for many years and have made the ride back and forth at least a dozen times (never on a Ural). Some lessons learned:
- Take a head net for the bugs
- Get Deet for the bugs. It works the best but keep it off the paint and synthetic fabrics.
- Even if you are moteling it carry a sleeping bag and a tarp or small tent in case of break down or no room at the inn.
- We seldom make motel reservations and have never failed to find a room. Secret is to get on the road early and stop early (1600). You will also encounter fewer RVs early in the morning.
- There are three ways to ride to Alaska: ALCAN, Cassier (Hwy 37) and ferry either from Bellingham or Prince Rupert. Go up one way and back another.
- Talk to your cellular provider about a plan for Canada. If you do not make prior arrangements, then data can cost a great deal.
- We always get our Canadian cash at ATMs. Good exchange rate and easy.
- The longest space between fuel stations I can recall is 97 miles between Kitwanga and Meziadin Junction on the Cassier Hwy.
- Some stations in northern BC and the Yukon will not have credit card pumps. If the place is closed... no fuel.
- Make the ride from Meziadin Junction into Hyder, Alaska. The ride in is fantastic (once saw 26 bears on the 40 mile ride). While in Hyder you can ride to Fish Creek and watch the bears catch Salmon when they are running and go on to Salmon Glacier. Eat at The Bus in Hyder.
- In Tok (you can’t get to Alaska without going thru Tok) there is a campground called Eagle Claw that is for motorcyclists. They have facilities for you to change your oil. It is few miles from Tok on the road to Glenallen.
- Ride the Denali Hwy from Paxton to Cantwell. It is 135 miles, 115 of it well maintained gravel road. It was once the entry to Denali National Park. Do it east to west and you will have Denali mountain in your face shield for 50 miles.
- Consider getting a roadside recovery plan. If you need to be towed it can be very expensive. We have the Allstate Motor Club. It is good in Canada and will tow you to the nearest facility capable of making a repair. $114/year and you need not have Allstate insurance.
- If you are concerned about needing a particular part and do not want to carry it, then have it packaged for shipping and leave it with someone who can ship it to you.
- I would carry at least two spare tubes, a spare tire, a patch kit and an electric pump.
- I believe there is an authorized Ural parts guy in Delta Junction, you’ll need to confirm.

Enjoy your trip.
Last edited by Pterodactyl on Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:27 pm

Pterodactyl wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:11 pm
Some good advice from RC20. I lived in Fairbanks for many years and have made the ride back and forth at least a dozen times. Some lessons learned:

- Get Deet for the bugs. It works the best but keep it off the paint and synthetic fabrics.
But for one leather jacket, all of my riding gear (and per my Missus, there's too much of it) is textile or mesh. IOW, synthetics. My travel (camp) clothing is all synthetic, also. I have several bottles of Deet, of varying strengths on my camping equipment shelf. What has been your experience with Deet and synthetic fabrics?
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:54 pm

Lofty wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:27 pm
Pterodactyl wrote:
Some good advice from RC20. I lived in Fairbanks for many years and have made the ride back and forth at least a dozen times. Some lessons learned:

But for one leather jacket, all of my riding gear (and per my Missus, there's too much of it) is textile or mesh. IOW, synthetics. My travel (camp) clothing is all synthetic, also. I have several bottles of Deet, of varying strengths on my camping equipment shelf. What has been your experience with Deet and synthetic fabrics?
My personal experience with Deet is that it will stain synthetic fabrics and dull and make clear plastics milky. In large concentrations it is known to be capable of melting synthetic fabrics and plastics.
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by harryball » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:50 am

Pterodactyl wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:54 pm
Lofty wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:27 pm
Pterodactyl wrote:

My personal experience with Deet is that it will stain synthetic fabrics and dull and make clear plastics milky. In large concentrations it is known to be capable of melting synthetic fabrics and plastics.
We use Sawyer's for that reason. Doesn't harm the gear or the rig.
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:26 am

Pterodactyl wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:54 pm
Thanks for the intel.

I've not had any problems with fabric damage, yet, but will continue to use my bug juice with care.

Some of the current inventory:

I've no desire to experiment with 100% DEET.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Marine Corps Codu

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:54 pm

Pterodactyl wrote:
Some good advice from RC20.

I lived in Fairbanks for many years and have made the ride back and forth at least a dozen times (never on a Ural). Some lessons learned:
- Take a head net for the bugs
- Even if you are moteling it carry a sleeping bag and a tarp or small tent in case of break down or no room at the inn.
- We seldom make motel reservations and have never failed to find a room. Secret is to get on the road early and stop early (1600). You will also encounter fewer RVs early in the morning.
- There are three ways to ride to Alaska: ALCAN, Cassier (Hwy 37) and ferry either from Bellingham or Prince Rupert. Go up one way and back another.
- Talk to your cellular provider about a plan for Canada. If you do not make prior arrangements, then data can cost a great deal.
- We always get our Canadian cash at ATMs. Good exchange rate and easy.
- The longest space between fuel stations I can recall is 97 miles between Kitwanga and Meziadin Junction on the Cassier Hwy.
- Some stations in northern BC and the Yukon will not have credit card pumps. If the place is closed... no fuel.
- Make the ride from Meziadin Junction into Hyder, Alaska. The ride in is fantastic (once saw 26 bears on the 40 mile ride). While in Hyder you can ride to Fish Creek and watch the bears catch Salmon when they are running and go on to Salmon Glacier. Eat at The Bus in Hyder.
- In Tok (you can’t get to Alaska without going thru Tok) there is a campground called Eagle Claw that is for motorcyclists. They have facilities for you to change your oil. It is few miles from Tok on the road to Glenallen.
- Ride the Denali Hwy from Paxton to Cantwell. It is 135 miles, 115 of it well maintained gravel road. It was once the entry to Denali National Park. Do it east to west and you will have Denali mountain in your face shield for 50 miles.
- Consider getting a roadside recovery plan. If you need to be towed it can be very expensive. We have the Allstate Motor Club. It is good in Canada and will tow you to the nearest facility capable of making a repair. $114/year and you need not have Allstate insurance.
- If you are concerned about needing a particular part and do not want to carry it, then have it packaged for shipping and leave it with someone who can ship it to you.
- I would carry at least two spare tubes, a spare tire, a patch kit and an electric pump.
- I believe there is an authorized Ural parts guy in Delta Junction, you’ll need to confirm.

Enjoy your trip.
And a trip to Alaska isn't complete until you stop in Chicken and get a picture by the sign "I got laid in Chicken, Alaska"!
Safe travels
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1947 Cushman Motor Scooter
1958 Cushman Motor Scooter
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ100
1960 Honda 55 (2 of them)
2002 Honda Gold Wing