Pistol caliber carbines?

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
Mracer
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Pistol caliber carbines?

Post by Mracer » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:44 pm

Given that most folks on here are not Rockefellers, discharging a rifle cartridge inside their standard 3-4 bedroom house gives a high probability of the projectile exiting the walls of the house and potentially causing unwanted damage and unintended casualty. As I write this, i am starring at an AK pistol sitting next to my TV, but like Rich said - it's because I like it. I would not want to use it as a home defense weapon. Heck, the flash alone from the first round will blind me to bits, and how about concussion? You guys ever shot short barrel AR/AK type rifles in darkness or close quarters? It's not fun.
My go to is a Glock, well few of them. I tend to stick to the same type since it's easier to build muscle memory, plus let's admit it - Glocks are awesome! A 9mm pistol caliber is something even a kid can handle. I also have a surplus police issue shotgun for when things need to get serious, loaded with a BB and Slug rounds combo. A 9mm rifle inside the house is cool but again, you got that barrel and stock to deal with in tight spaces and if you are wounded, operating a rifle, even if light is very hard.
Personally I don't believe in hiding my guns. They are available to me at a moments notice. My kids grew up with guns and have enough discipline and respect for it. Heck, my 13 yo son is prob more proficient with it than many adults I know, however regular practice is a must... just like with riding motorcycles. Gun is a serious tool and demands respect. If you don't trust yourself around it you either need training or should stay away from them. No safe or storage will make up for the lack of training. The minute you take it out of the safe, if you are not enough trained, you will be a danger to yourself and others. I spend good amount of time at ranges and a good number of folks who find themselves there should not be near guns and are a danger to society when handling a gun. I normally leave when more than 5-6 shooters are at the range as there will be at least one who is waving his firearm or doing something stupid...
It is my firm believe that along with the 2nd amendment right there has to be a responsibility of passing a training class before obtaining ability to own firearms. I wouldn't mind seeing a law for it. As an ER/ICU nurse my wife regularly sees self-inflicted gun wounds - you guessed it, mostly butts and inner thigh/crotch area... and the guys almost always blame the gun, and rarely themselves for it. But we know better...
Max
1965 MB750
1958 M72H
2013 Retro
2010 Red October
Gone but not forgotten:
198? MT-16
1997 Ural/BMW conversion (R60/5)

jvan1954
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by jvan1954 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:29 am

Moderators, with all due respect to the above poster, how is advocating for gun control NOT a political post? While I personally agree with almost everything he says, a line is crossed in the last paragraph. This thread has been about discussing/comparing legal firearms and not opinions concerning the 2nd amendment as we all know how slippery that slope is. I mean no disrespect, Max, simply pointing out that this is not the place for a discussion on the 2nd. Thanks
Jerry Van

there is no problem so complex, nor situation so dire, that its solution can not be found in the skillful application of high explosives.
Ride a 2013 tourist that I call "the ural"

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:08 pm

Although they are all lever actions, I have them in .357/.38, .45 Colt and 454 Casull. I am looking for a .44 Mag to complete my wish list. :cheers:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:26 pm

Time is essential when it comes to home defense.
German and Belgian shepherd will buy you time get to the weapon.
I believe machine gun is the best home defense.

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:17 pm

Well placed Claymore mines are effective too.
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
After taking several readings I’m surprised to find my mind is fairly sound..... Willie Nelson, Me and Paul

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:21 pm

gobium wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:26 pm

this is the best we can do while staying within the current laws (here in ga, anyways).
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

isldtime
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by isldtime » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:18 pm

Niteblues wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:21 pm
gobium wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:26 pm

this is the best we can do while staying within the current laws (here in ga, anyways).
was about to build a Ruger Charger with the Franklin trigger but figured I would get into trouble at the range.
Building a NRL22 base class on a Savage B22 precision instead.
2002 Tourist
2013 Husky TR650 Strada

Mracer
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Mracer » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:45 am

jvan1954 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:29 am
Moderators, with all due respect to the above poster, how is advocating for gun control NOT a political post? While I personally agree with almost everything he says, a line is crossed in the last paragraph. This thread has been about discussing/comparing legal firearms and not opinions concerning the 2nd amendment as we all know how slippery that slope is. I mean no disrespect, Max, simply pointing out that this is not the place for a discussion on the 2nd. Thanks
Jerry - LOL, let me know how that complain progresses. :cheers:
Max
1965 MB750
1958 M72H
2013 Retro
2010 Red October
Gone but not forgotten:
198? MT-16
1997 Ural/BMW conversion (R60/5)

jvan1954

Post by jvan1954 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:24 am

Mracer wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:45 am
jvan1954 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:29 am
Jerry - LOL, let me know how that complain progresses. :cheers:
Were you attempting to type complaint?
Jerry Van

there is no problem so complex, nor situation so dire, that its solution can not be found in the skillful application of high explosives.
Ride a 2013 tourist that I call "the ural"

Rich Maund
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Rich Maund » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:15 am

LOL. Just shooting that fast at any of our local ranges will get you kicked out or banned.
This is my step ladder. I never got to know my real ladder.

2002 Kawasaki ZR750 Sport