The new Harley's

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
Happytrails
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: The new Harley's

Post by Happytrails » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:23 pm

From a design POV not a fan of the new HD's although I do like Harleys in general. Beautiful bikes. But I'm living in the $5-15k suburbia and they are trying to sell $30-45k in the upscale neighborhood :)
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:46 pm

Happytrails wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:23 pm
From a design POV not a fan of the new HD's although I do like Harleys in general. Beautiful bikes. But I'm living in the $5-15k suburbia and they are trying to sell $30-45k in the upscale neighborhood :)
$8k

$9k

And supposedly they will be offering even more affordable bikes.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:29 pm

"Adventure" bikes are really just touring bikes suitable for unpaved roads. I used to have a Ducati E900 Elephant, too big,, too heavy, and too expensive for anything challenging, but great for forest service, and logging roads.
Barry
Yep.

Keeping in mind Paris to Dakar was what got adventure touring going and the BMW GS won the first one because the factory went full in.

Paris to the coast, all pavement.

Dakar, unpaved but yes roads and no mud bogs.

A good rider using speed could get through a iffy section of unpacked sand.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:37 pm

Bang for your buck ? 0-60 mph in THREE seconds for $28k is a steal. Think what you could do to an Audi R8 Spyder owner who paid $168k to go 0-60 mph in 3.2 seconds. ¿.
Observation/question. The HD Livewire seat may help but you better have a good grip on the bars. That's insane acceleration and torque.

I've ridden the V Rod. (90 mph in second gear !!) Very impressed with the bike but exactly why I got off sport bikes.

I've ridden the Buells They all felt sluggish and dumpy to me.

I'm curious to test ride a 750. ( hoping it is smaller version of the V Rod Revolution ) I'm thinking it could be fun and compliment HD's line-up.

Like I said in an earlier post. The newer Big Twin HDs feel "pussified" to me. The newer models I don't get. Easy clutch, lowering ride, perceived better handling, the flash of finishes and CVO, tech screens and sound systems, increased displacement, they are all good. But for me my '04 FLTRI with pipe, air and tuner, good tires and brakes is satisfying as is.

Of course an Ironhead or older afficianado may call me out the same way. A memory I'll never forget was in my early 20s when I stole a neighborhood friends panhead. Raked, extended forks, no front brake, suicide (foot) clutch and beer keg hand shifter under thigh. That was a ride.

:cheers:
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

BlueRockCrawler
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:49 am

tgtrotter wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:37 pm
Bang for your buck ? 0-60 mph in THREE seconds for $28k is a steal.
Not when the CBR600RR can do it around 2.8 for about $12k and a Hayabusa can do it in 2.47 for $15k, The Kawasaki H2 can do it in 2.6 for $19k and if you want to talk cruisers, the Ducati Diavel 1260s can do it in 2.5 for a c-hair under $20k. The Zero SR can do about the same 3 seconds for $19k (apparently wind limited as the dyno 0-60 is 1.6 seconds) and, it has more range than the livewire.
Only someone who never looked at any other brand would consider a slower bike for more money "A steal". They may sell a few to those people. It's NOT a steal by any stretch of the imagination and ultimately Harley has to attract a larger audience who have ridden, or at least read the specs, on other brands.
tgtrotter wrote:
The newer Big Twin HDs feel "pussified" to me.
LOL, spoken exactly like I picture in my head when I think of the type of customer they already have, NOT at all the type of customer they're trying to attract with these new bikes.
Though, I am confused. The V-rod was too fast for you, but the big twins feel pussified because of an easy clutch and better handling? Can you explain this to a non-Harley person?
2015 Ural Patrol
1993 Suzuki DR 650
2018 Suzuki DR 650
previous Honda's were
1996 750 Magna
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

inked1
Comrade
Comrade

Post by inked1 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:44 am

tgtrotter wrote:

Like I said in an earlier post. The newer Big Twin HDs feel "pussified" to me. The newer models I don't get. Easy clutch, lowering ride, perceived better handling, the flash of finishes and CVO, tech screens and sound systems, increased displacement, they are all good. But for me my '04 FLTRI with pipe, air and tuner, good tires and brakes is satisfying as is.
When I bought my first HD Limited I remember telling my wife, "There's way to much $#!+ on this bike that doesn't belong on a bike. AM/FM/CB, cruise control, ABS, heated grips and a trunk." OK, except for the AM/FM/CB, I actually use all of that stuff now on a regular basis, well, the ABS not so much, thankfully. LOL Rolling some highway miles and setting the cruise control, I like that. The trunk? Damn, it's a great place to throw the lunch, some gloves, a helmet if I'm expecting rain, the leather. OK, so I'm using that way more than I thought I would when I went looking for a trunkless Street Glide. And lastly, my pussified old self really really really likes those heated grips. A lifetime ago as a young man on a Sportster who would ride year round if the streets were clear of ice and snow, I remember showing up at work, peeling off the seemingly worthless gauntlet gloves from my frozen hands, and grabbing a warm cup of coffee. I didn't drink coffee back then. It was actually to warm my hands with and get my fingers to move again. LOL In todays lifetime, I put on the gloves, turn the tiny dial to 2 or 3, and arrive at my destination with feeling in my hands. And I drink the coffee instead of just carrying it around. LOL The last bike I bought new, a 2017 Limited Low, does not come standard with those heated grips. Apparently, the short people those bikes are designed for also have tiny hands that don't wrap around the fatter heated grip. LOL. I made the dealer install the pussified heated grips before I would buy the bike. LOL The radio portion of the bike. Still not a huge fan. I have used the built in GPS a number of times, but the stereo is almost always muted. Still not a fan of that.
Current
2017 Harley Ultra Limited Low
1988 1200 Sportster
1986 1100 Sportster Hardtail project
1981 Suzuki GS550
A few old Pontiacs, yeah I know, at least one too many wheels on the ground.

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:34 pm

To share with Bluerockcrawler, 90 mph in second gear all I could hear was my daughter hollering "wahoo" between the shift to third. (Now comes the chastising for passenger endangerment). Honestly I enjoyed the VRod.. It was my wife who asked me to get off owning sport bikes. Guess Im "pussified" too. And in comparison of the Livewire only to the Audi only, it is a steal. You are correct in your comp. Yes I am ignorant as to never ever looked at the bikes you mention. Only look at what interests me.

Inked1, I never could or can get comfortable in cruise control on a motorcycle. Hard time in my truck and car too. Can only use it momentarily. However, I wouldn't own a bike without a windshield available. I thougt the stereo was stupid but find myself listening to it. I am all for creature comforts and wouldn't knock down anyone's accrutements. I have yet to get heated grips. It's on my list. But year round riding in So Cal it is not a priority for me. My neighbor on the other hand wouldn't be without them

The word "pussified" may not be PC. Neither am I. But I think most people get it. Calling the new HD pussified is my way of saying it's doesn't , to me feel like what I'm used to in my 1995 Standard or '04 RG. I said before, others might think the EVO isn't a real HD compared to earlier years. Let's just say the new ones are "more refined" in ways I don't particularly care for. Easy clutch, whatever. Bling bling, loss of individualism. Better handling ?Referring to the elimination of the swing arm flex, meh. Never proven nor eliminated Ive been told. And yes I've felt frame/swing arm flex. When you're getting it, $#!+ happens. Shoot a guy for words. I just don't like the way the two Dessers and one trike I've briefly test rode recently felt.

Two wheels is two wheels. Errr make that 3 now.
:cheers:
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

BlueRockCrawler
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:09 am

Thanks, I've never really cared for, but don't hate on, Harleys and I'm genuinely curious to find out why people do like them. I wouldn't say you're ignorant for loving the number one selling brand in America over the others anymore than I feel I'm ignorant for not "getting" Harleys and you're right, two wheels is two wheels. Like I said, these bikes don't seem to be aimed at you, they seem to be aimed at people like me. People who don't give a flying frak where the bike was made or tradition, as long as it's fun to ride and has competitive specs and a good price. The Livewire is selling out at an $8k premium over the top model Zero, so "Harley people" are obviously buying them. I've been looking at getting rid of the Ural and getting an electric bike. I can find leftover Zeros easily and two dealers near me have dropped them all together which is why I feel it's "Harley people" buying the Livewire and why I feel they may buy the Bronx or Pan-am just because it's a Harley. I really am hoping that these things are awesome and not anything like what their making now.
2015 Ural Patrol
1993 Suzuki DR 650
2018 Suzuki DR 650
previous Honda's were
1996 750 Magna
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna