what color is this?

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Re: what color is this?

Post by Tomcatfixer » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:23 pm

I had fantasized, prior to having the truck repainted, about doing a "weathered" treatment to my truck, complete with panel lines, rivets, and grime.
I always wanted to do that, too, Lew. When I was stationed in Japan, "old" Japanese vehicles were bought and sold between transferring U.S. military personnel. I picked up a 1993 Mitsubishi Delica van (2.4L turbo-diesel, 4WD, fluorescent [!] cabin lighting) for cheap. Towards the end of my tour, I decided to make my dream a reality, so I drove it into the paint hangar, masked it off, sanded it down, and painted it a nice glossy "P-3C Orion" gray (thank you, taxpayers :wink: ). Unfortunately, I was too close to transferring to complete the yellow 'RESCUE' arrows pointing at the door handles, the blue 'NAVY' on the lower rear quarter panels, the dark gray 'NO STEP's around the top, the red 'DANGER INTAKE' on the front sides, and the red 'BEWARE EXHAUST' above the muffler. To this day, I still get reports of my van driving around Misawa Air Base.
-
FB_IMG_1563721439481.jpg
-
I LOVED that van. If I could've economically brought it back to the U.S., I would have. It was so quirky and fun!

I'll have to see if I can dig up a post-painting pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: what color is this?

Post by windmill » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:08 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:18 am
Are you teasing me right now, Lew? 🤔

MIL-STD-2161(AS) of 1985 established that the colors to be used for the Navy's tactical paint schemes shall be FS 36375 Light Compass Ghost Gray for the lower fuselage and FS 36320 Dark Compass Ghost Gray for the upper fuselage. So, your answer is Light Compass Ghost Gray.

Here's a Federal Standard paint color chart, which may be of use to you: http://www.fed-std-595.com/FS-595-Paint-Spec.html
That's curious, haze gray isn't even listed, yet I remember we got all our paint from Lakehurst. Hard to forget going into those airship hangers.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70