eBikes Vs Regular Bikes?

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: eBikes Vs Regular Bikes?

Post by sKiZo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:49 pm

Innernet? Wazza innernet? :lol:

Same way I found out - when I started looking about to see what was available, all the decent machines were "euro spec" which meant less amps and reserve with smaller motors with less torque for hills, smaller brakes, and less features for twice the price. Free shipping right to your door is a big plus as well. Ordered one, a week later I was out riding.

Some background (also from that there innernet, so take it for what it's worth). A couple junior high students too cool to ride the bus built their own eBikes from this and that. Word got around that they were nice machines, they started getting orders for bikes for their friends, and they turned it into a crowd funded business.

Whatever you get, DO look for the twist throttle. Mine worked as an over ride - no matter your gear and boost settings, that was immediately available at full power for quick maneuvers.

Couple things to consider as well - I didn't want a wider bike that would clog up or choke on the narrow trails, and the lower built recumbent machines have lousy visibility, especially on hills.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 pm

class 2 electric bikes (with a throttle) may not be legal for use on many bike paths.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now an 87 K75s, DB Haanjo gravel bike, and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:22 pm

So don't tell em it's got a throttle, eh ... ;-}

I suppose you should also pay attention to the "no motorized vehicles" signs posted on most public trails. I get to ignore those, as the eBikes are considered "adaptive vehicles" if you have a handicap per the 2011 revisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Strange thing is, you can tell anyone who asks you have a handicap, and they can't ask you to prove it ... (nod nod wink wink nudge nudge know what I mean?). Because of that little catch 22, I've never been pulled over by the trail gestapo, as they know it's a waste of time.

PS - fortunately, the same doesn't hold true for some gas powered machine running straight pipes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:46 pm

chaos2 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 pm
class 2 electric bikes (with a throttle) may not be legal for use on many bike paths.
Most Class 2 ebikes like the one I have, have a button or switch to turn off the throttle, but the pedal assist will still operate.

Or the rider can just pedal and not use the twist throttle at all.

In fact in most situations, you can simply turn off all electric power and pedal along that 'no ebikes' trail or pathway and remain perfectly legal, although this will wear you out quickly...ebikes are quite heavy and a fair amount of effort to pedal when un-powered.

I've been riding mine for almost a year, on pathways and streets and sidewalks and trails, in several different states, and have yet to have a problem. Obviously, I'm riding responsibly, at reasonable speeds usually under 15 mph, and I slow down around pedestrians, children, pets, etc.

I think the general trend is, that those pedestrians and other cyclists who have not tried an ebike are quick to have negative opinions about them...that is, until they actually ride one...then all of a sudden, they smile and they understand the whole concept.
Current Ural: 2013 Ural Solo sT

Previous Ural: 2013 Ural Patrol