Toy Hauler RV Trailer

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Toy Hauler RV Trailer

Post by tgtrotter » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:55 pm

Like a dumbass I didn't do my research or take advice before a recent purchase, on how current Brand Name Manufacturers in the RV marketplace all have issues / PROBLEMS with quality control.

Do any members have experience with TT Toyhaulers of late, good or bad.
The good or not so good features you have experienced ?
Must have or watchout fors ?

The RV forums are expanse and in my limited research, is opinion mostly full of junk or biased info. ( Good, bad or the norm, just the way it seems to be )

Thanks in advance
:cheers:
Tim
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Toy Hauler RV Trailer

Post by tx2sturgis » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:16 am

Yep they all seem to have issues..no matter how much you paid.

They are a bit like a Ural, once you get all the bugs worked out, they are easier to live with.
Current Ural: 2013 Ural Solo sT

Previous Ural: 2013 Ural Patrol

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:36 am

We learned the hard way that RVs in general are like Urals... the dealer is paramount!

Our dealer delivered our trailer (not a toy hauler) with an air conditioner that had no “Freon” (delivery in December) and a defective power vent... then had our trailer for seven weeks to replace the AC...(can you tell they left a bitter taste?)

As Tx stated... once you get sorted things calm down considerably...

How do you find a reputable dealer? That’s the $60,000 question...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

lomax
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by lomax » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:02 pm

As said get the best dealer you can. AND do a very thorough pre-purchase inspection.

I bought a 17 foot toy hauler last summer called a Forest River Wolf Pup 17RP because it seemed to fit my needs. After using it a few times I wish I had done differently.

Upon the initial inspection the AC did not work, The Thermostat was broken, EVERY thing mounted to a wall (power outlet, switches, monitoring station, etc.) was crooked, The cheap Chinese tires already had a bulge in the sidewall and a few other things. The dealer of course wanted to SELL me a one year extended warranty (it cam with one year) for big bucks and it turns out the manufacture offered one for only $25. Did the dealer tell me about that one? Of course not.

They are cheaply built and need attention right off the bat in order to get them setup properly. Once done they do require some normal maintenance.

BUT All brands seem to be about the same so get the unit with the right storage (very important), Bathroom size, Beds, etc. that you WANT. I got one with the bed up front because it I pull into camp later I just want to go to bed instead of having to unload the garage and pull a bed down.

Have fun, be frustrated. Hew you own a Ural so you know all about that. :lol:
84 R100RS LE,14 Ducati MTSGT,14 Hyperstrada, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 13 TR650, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 01 200EXC, 77 HD XLCR, 15 Enfield Classic. https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Lofty » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:29 pm

A few years ago, I shopped lightweight travel trailers. The experience left me underwhelmed. I expected a bit of cheapness here and there, and was prepared to live with it, but it was endemic across the several brands that I shopped. The only brand that acquitted itself well -- the only one -- was Airstream. As I didn't have a winning ticket in my pocket for that one, I walked away from the idea of owning one at all.

Several of my relatives own travel trailers. Coincidentally, I'll be seeing a few of them, with their trailers in tow, at a family event this weekend. They've made the experience work for them, but more than twice have they counseled me that recurring maintenance and repairs are just that...ever recurring.

So...good luck with it. :)
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:35 am

Thats too bad to hear i was thinking about one of these in the future. :(
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:09 am

Happytrails wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:35 am
Thats too bad to hear i was thinking about one of these in the future. :(
Don’t be put off... heck, you’re already driving around on a RPOC... :lol: an RV will be a walk in the park...

Just go in with yer eyes open and you’ll be fine... RV’s are a terrific way to travel... your bed is always with you, there’s a bathroom handy (and always just as clean as you like it!) fridge and stove means you don’t have to change you regular diet and there’s no pressure to “push-on” due to pending reservations (Walmart is always open and very accommodating to travelers.)

Like our Urals, they’re not for everyone (we bought old/used to try one out before jumping in with both feet)... if you like it and use it they’re wonderful...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

Ammo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Ammo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:16 am

we’ve been looking and researching for the past year or so and have finally given up - not sure how much money I’d have to have to feel good about all of it but we ain’t there - instead we have a nice trailer and turned out 4runner into a mini RV by removing the rear seats and adding a goose gear system and putting a tent on the top.
Mac
13 Patrol T
16 Chief
96 ATK605

Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Rich Maund » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:10 pm

After my poor experiences with a couple RV's, I said never again to plumbing in something that goes down the road. Fitting loosen and then water leaks into the floor where it is trapped and the floor rots. Screw that. My van with a bed in the back is better for camping in general and way lower maintenance. I did love the Toy Hauler for its layout. We called it the Bed & Breakfast on wheels. Maybe again someday when I have a shop big enough to keep it parked indoors. But not until then.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:34 pm

I recently spent a relatively small amount of money on a small 20ft travel trailer. It was about 13 thousand brand new. Is it made pretty cheap? Yep.

But it was several thousand less than my Ural Patrol when I bought that brand new in December of 2012.

And for my use, it's fine.

What would bother me would be to spend 100 grand and then see how cheaply THOSE are made. YouTube is full of expensive RVs that people are not happy with.

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:14 am

Our first purchase of an RV Travel Trailer was in 2005. We bought an entry level model that served us very well for 14 years. Only warranty was the antennae booster socket was wired wrong and a recall on a fridge circuit something. That was it. Roof, wheels, plumbing, brakes, fit and finish maintenance over the years we did ourselves. It had bunks....which were never used and the past few years talked about a driveable or a toy hauler. We paid $18k and sold it for $6k to the first buyer no questions. ( I asked Don the buyer, aren't you gonna make an offer? He said ok 5,900. I said 5,800. The reg is due) :lol:

Our new Toy hauler cost twice the price. After delivery it needed an entire new roof, flooring re-glued, shower pan re-install, some better wiring and little b.s. plumbing and etc. The selling dealer jacked us for over 5 weeks while in warranty so I found an independent shop the Mfr and I are happy with. Since then we have only been able to glamp out once for 3 days. When I can I have been pullingbit from storage and ironing out the changes from a coach to a toy hauler. Have found through other forums and word of mouth that any brand you purchase new today , you use it as much as possible and take it into warranty as much as possible for the first year under warranty. Exploit the Mfr and warranty. And true across the board that no matter what you spend, what class or type, all Mfrs of late are having quality control issues. Shocking :o

Heading out 5 days in Sept, 2 weeks in Oct and one week in Dec.
Hey it's Cali and the Southwest. We can do that :D :D :D

Thanks for your replies. They all are similar and sum it up.

I'm ok now :loco:

It is what it is :cheers:

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Post by MartyL » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 am

Where I park when I go to the Airport the parking place has a huge space that they rent for RV’s, Boats, Trailers, etc. I’ve seen many RV’s & Boats sitting in the same spot for years.It reminds me every time I see them that IMO it’s better to rent a RV than own....
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

cpres
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by cpres » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:01 pm

Rvs are a house going through hurricanes and earthquakes every use, the more they sit the bigger a pain they become yet the more you use them the more little details need dealt with. Many should just rent for the cost per night they use them, my 40 year old camper sees enough use it is worth owning.
2007 Ural Retro burning up the road at Ural speed.
Some of my family have asked if Urals come with social lives, I am thinking they do, we have met the nicest people with our Ural.

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:21 am

tgtrotter wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:14 am

Heading out 5 days in Sept, 2 weeks in Oct and one week in Dec.
Hey it's Cali and the Southwest. We can do that :D :D :D
Bring that thing out to Quartzsite in January!

:moto:

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:16 am

Yes. Yes Brian we plan to. Looks like from the upcoming rides blog here Quartzsite is gaining momentum.
Looking forward to hanging out with you all again.

Tim and JJ