Anybody work on garden tractors?

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Anybody work on garden tractors?

Post by S 854 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:12 pm

Having issues with Julie’s 1992 Craftsman GT6000... it’s been a good little workhorse for a couple years now... however...

Julie had just spent a couple hours mowing around the property... as she went to depress the clutch/brake there was a loud bang under the hood.

I got to looking at it yesterday and found the ground drive belt had broken and wrapped it’s entire length around the engine drive pulley—taking out the throttle cable in the process...

As I was removing the debris, I found the cast pulley had split apart from the wedging of the belt/cable inside it.

Off the the bone yard... I got a new (used) throttle cable and pulley. Once I got things back together I put on another drive belt and ran the engine for about 10 minutes to check things out... it’s all good! So I hop on, depress the clutch/brake and WHAM!!! The new belt wrapped it’s entire length around the drive pulley... taking out the choke cable this time... bummer...

I cleaned up the mess one more time (with a choke cable from the bone yard) and put on ANOTHER belt... this time I decided to see what was happening under the hood when I depressed the clutch... seems to me there’s excess belt length when the clutch/brake is all the way down... possibly, when the belt/pulleys get hot, and I depress the clutch, the drive pulley grabs the warm belt and wraps the excess free length around the pulley? I tried adjusting the brake so it engages sooner (which limits the amount the clutch is relieved) but now the clutch and brake apply at the same time...

I’m out of throttle and choke cables now... and almost out of patience...

I posted this same thing on a tractor forum I belong to and received one reply suggesting I make sure the belt is the correct one (it is) and that it’s “threaded” correctly through its various pulleys (it is... been running for two years...)

I need to go work on something less complicated... like my Arctic... :oops:
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

Pterodactyl
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Anybody work on garden tractors?

Post by Pterodactyl » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:39 pm

Craig, I have no answers for you, but if it will help to get it up on a lift, then you are welcome to use one of my lifts.
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:20 am

Thanks for the offer, Kevin... I may take you up on your offer if my next plan of attack fails... besides, I’m a firm believer in “two heads are better...”

Been mulling things over and am gonna try a few things... one of which is the pedal travel... I think the amount of slack I currently have in the belt is what’s allowing the pulley to grab the belt...

Got a brand spankin’ new Craftsman belt coming in on Friday so that will rule out “wrong belt length”...

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by harryball » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:08 am

I whipped mine with a sledgehammer for a 1/2 hour this morning... didn't make it run but I feel better. You're welcome to try the same.
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

RC20

Post by RC20 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:28 pm

Kind of stuff you need to see in person but there is another sheave in there that should be looked at very closely.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:39 pm

If you have not done so already, then check to see if one of the blade spindles is not turning or is slow to turn. A bad spindle could cause the belt to bunch up.., I think.
Kevin

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:45 pm

My list of things to check is getting longer... which is a good thing...

I’ll check that everything that’s sposed to turn is turning freely (without too much play)...

I’ll save the BFH for the last resort... I already have my throwing hammer out though...

pigdog
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by pigdog » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:22 pm

Check your spindles (already mentioned), bearings, etc. for excessive wear while you are at it.

BTDT.
'00 Ural BC 650 "Strekoza" Gone but not forgotten.
'11 Ural Patrol T
'04 Silverado 2500HD "Old Shaky"
'97 Honda Foreman 400

"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - R. Feynman

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:45 pm

I suspect you have some how infected our John Deere. Had a spindle fail today.
Kevin

BRatigan

Post by BRatigan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:03 pm

My JD tossed belts also. It turned out to be one of the idler pulley shafts had turned many degrees of the spec and would then fail to hold the belt. might be worth a look.
2008 Buell Ulysses
1978 Yamaha DT 400
1976 Yamaha DT 175
Hodaka Super Rat 125cc year(I forget)
2011 Mazda MX-5 Mountain Racer.
2018 Taco

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:42 pm

I replaced the tension pulley and spring, adjusted the brake/clutch and went with a different style of belt (tan... the old one was black)... both belts are “Kevlar” but the tan belt is much smoother riding on the pulleys...

Julie’s been mowing, gardening and spraying since the beginning of July without a hiccup... hope I didn’t just jinx meself.. :oops: