Soviet-Australian-Chinese survival tool

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Soviet-Australian-Chinese survival tool

Post by windmill » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:07 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54117

Ok, lets get this out of the way first....

Yes, Even considering its an unusual specialty item, from a mom and pop, one product business, its ridiculously over priced for a low tech Chinese made tool. No need for Captain obvious comments pointing that out. :foilhead: :P

A while back I was looking for an emergency multi use tool that worked better than a tri fold entrenching tool I have from when I was in the military because it doesn't do anything well. Multi function "survival" tools are a dime a dozen on E-bay, and Amazon, and most are worth just that, being flimsy junk. I did a lot of research, and found a few I liked,, including those in the other thread, but life got in the way and it never happened.

The one Walmart fell through being out of stock, but it was the closest to what I wanted, and after much thought, and grinding my teeth I decided to spoil myself, be a sucker, and ordered it. Amazon had it to my door in a couple of hours. Considering how cheesy some of the tools I found locally looked, and felt, I was pleasantly surprised.
71UDsHw9UTL._SL1200_ (1).jpg
61PQuSR1AcL._SL1200_.jpg
61QdtMbVQML._SL1200_.jpg
Its heavy duty, all steel, with no flimsy parts. The pieces fit together well, and even though they rattle a little, they're secure, and sturdy.

The ax/hammer head appears to be made up from a couple of forge welded castings, rather than several several pieces riveted together like the Russian original. The ax comes partially sharpened, but needs to be fully sharpened to work well. Its hardness seems to match my vintage loggers ax, soft enough to file, and not chip in use, but hard enough to hold its edge.
The head has enough weight to make chopping, and driving a 16d nail into a 4x4 quick, and easy. The nail puller opening is rather small and wont fit anything bigger than a 10d nail. It has decent balance,, not as good as dedicated tools, but much better than entrenching tools and typical survival tools.

The saw seems to be made from actual saw material, it flexes without bending. it and the catch button attach with allen head screws rather than rivits like the original so it can be removed for sharpening, or replacement. It's let down by the teeth having no set, so it cuts a very narrow kerf and gets stuck easily. as delivered it works best used like a Japanese draw saw. I looked through all my saw sharpening tools, but didnt have anything small enough to set the teeth, so I made a set from a piece of aluminum bar stock. After giving the teeth a 1/32" set, it goes through green wood like a hot knife through butter like a good pruning saw.

The shovel in made from a good quality steel as thick as any of my surplus entrenching tools and its working edge is sharpened. It also attaches securely with a slight rattle, and works as desired. It falls between a gardening trowel, and entrenching tool in size, so its good enough for camping chores, and better than nothing in an emergency, but one wouldn't want to dig big holes with it.

The handle is substantial machined steel, not just a thin mild steel tube. The knurled grip section is about 1/8" bigger in diameter than the rest of the shaft, and provides an excellent grip.

The holster is really good quality, nice heavy cordura with webb edging, a rigid plastic wear guard on the flap, an internal pocket for the shovel head, large Velcro closure, strong belt sleeve, and nice embossed leather logo. the ax guard is a stout pleather material riveted together, and has a snap flap to hold it in place.

Overall I'll rate it almost excellent, being significantly better than the average survival tools found elsewhere, and almost as good as professional firefighting/emergency responder tools. The "almost" comes from the ax not being correctly sharpened, and the saw teeth not having any set, which is absurd at its price point where no details should be overlooked.

Is it worth the price? No, not really, but I don't regret getting it, wouldn't want to settle for a lesser tool,, and do recommend it from a quality and function point of view.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Soviet-Australian-Chinese survival tool

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:34 am

Great review. I'm almost tempted to buy one. Almost. Maybe after I get a job, I'll spring for one. :)
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

sallen
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by sallen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:35 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:34 am
Great review. I'm almost tempted to buy one. Almost. Maybe after I get a job, I'll spring for one. :)
Chad you've retired from the navy, I thought Govment retiremet set you up for life :lol:
19?? Dnepr MT16

2008 Gear Up / Orange camo
130/45 one shim
drilled slides

2008 Gear Up / Orange camo

A statement I live by.
Panic is a luxury you can afford after it is all over.

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Well, its turning out to be a rather handy garden tool. Being small I can toss it on the lawn tractor while mowing to cut back brush and low hanging limbs when mowing. I have also used it to chop down, and cut up some saplings, and small trees on an overgrown path. Used the shovel today to set some mole traps, and clear dirt blocking a drain.
I cant do much, and have to take it easy because I'm still nursing a torn ligament in my ankle, but I can see its going to actually be a useful tool, and has stood up well so far without issue to digging, and chopping down a couple of 6" diameter trees.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70