If my Ural could do THIS, I wouldn't have bought this.

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

If my Ural could do THIS, I wouldn't have bought this.

Post by mr. cob » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:34 pm

Howdy All,

Me and Donna are really enjoying our first ever winter trip, now that Donna has retired we can get away some of the time during the miserable months in the NorWet. We have been camped at Quartzsite Arizona for the last month and will unfortunately have to be heading back home in about a week. However we have had an absolute GREAT TIME playing with the new toy, the CAN AM XRC. This video just does not do justice to how tall and STEEP this big sand hill is, going up all you see is sky, coming back down after you turn around at the top is down right scary, its so steep you have to give the rig throttle to keep it going straight down the hill.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

SidecarDan
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: If my Ural could do THIS, I wouldn't have bought this.

Post by SidecarDan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:40 pm

Now that looks like a fun toy to play with.
Dan
2012 Forest Fog Gear-Up
128/42 jets
7/64ths drilled slides
2013 branch pipes
Yamaha petcock

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:52 pm

SidecarDan wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:40 pm
Now that looks like a fun toy to play with.
Howdy Dan,

I am in contact with a couple of Canadians who live not far from you who also have CAN AM's, with luck I'll haul this monster up to your Country and disturb the peace and tranquility of Supernatural BC. 172 turbo-charged horse power, what's not to like. :boogie:

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

54vintage
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by 54vintage » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:06 am

Cool Dave....hope you post more vids of you having fun with this rig!
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

Peter Pan
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Peter Pan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:38 am

Hello Dave,
Well and I hope you do not need the yellow scarf neither.
Because possibly when you will need the yellow scarf on your new toy the most prudent will be to get a ambulance helicopter ASAP.
Sven,
who needed the yellow scarf on his Ural yesterday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013 =>43.388km+nacked :shock: :pot:
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1.43.388km :gahhh:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:14 pm

54vintage wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:06 am
Cool Dave....hope you post more vids of you having fun with this rig!
Howdy Chuck,

I have been taking videos and photos of our desert wanderings but the internet connection here is so SLOW it took two hours for that short video to down load to youtube. I'll post up some more when I get back home to the NorWet in week or so. I have built, driven and raced Jeeps for the last 50 years but I have NEVER had something that is as capable as this machine is right out of the box, I have been riding with and learning from experienced SXS drivers for the last month I have so much more confidence in the machine now that I see and have used it in extreme situations, ripping across the desert on a two track trail and going over bumps and ruts, even w@$# outs at 60 plus mph with out letting off the throttle is something that has to be experienced in order to be believed.

Dave
Mr. Cob

BlueRockCrawler
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:24 pm

mr. cob wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:52 pm
172 turbo-charged horse power, what's not to like. :boogie:

Dave
How much do those things weigh? I imagine that 172hp doesn't have a lot to push around?
2015 Ural Patrol
1996 Magna Deluxe
previous Honda's were
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:12 pm

Howdy BRC,

About 1,700 pounds stock. Setup the way I have mine, spare tire, storage box with tools, air compressor, recovery needs, myself and a passenger around 2,000-2,100 pounds.

Dave
Mr. Cob

BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:31 pm

I'd own a side by side, if the closest place you can legally ride one wasn't 3 hours away... :(

Nice Cob, did you make a skid plate for it?

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:39 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:31 pm
I'd own a side by side, if the closest place you can legally ride one wasn't 3 hours away... :(

Nice Cob, did you make a skid plate for it?
Howdy BDSD,

This thing comes out of the box with a skid plate that covers the entire bottom of the rig, completely flat on the bottom nothing to get hung up on.

Dave
Mr. Cob

BlueRockCrawler
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:55 am

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:31 pm
What he said, same with 4 wheeler atv, and snowmobile. No where to legally ride fun stuff around here.
BinDer, ever looked at an Orieon Reeper?
2015 Ural Patrol
1996 Magna Deluxe
previous Honda's were
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:26 am

I've seen the Orieon Reaper.
Very cool.
It isn't street legal in any states around here though.
Not sure why so many dealers/forums say that the Reaper is street legal.

In most states there are exceptions for some small low speed vehicles (LSV), but these exceptions are almost always for electric vehicles. Here is the NJ law...

A LSV is a four-wheeled vehicle with an attainable speed of more than 20 miles per hour, but no more than 25 miles per hour on a paved surface. It cannot be powered by gas or diesel fuel and must comply with federal safety standards as noted in 49 CFR 571.500.

Important note: Municipalities can impose a LSV ban on ALL roadways within their jurisdiction.

If you operate a LSV:

You may not drive LSVs on roadways with speed limits that exceed 25 mph. (In limited cases, if deemed appropriate by a municipality, county or the NJDOT, LSVs may be permitted on roadways with speed limits that do not exceed 35 mph).

Also the speed limit in NJ State parks is 35mph. So technically even if a Reaper met the definition of an LSV, you STILL couldn't ride in State Parks.

BlueRockCrawler
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:18 pm

I understand regional exceptions apply once you cross the river, but the one that exposed me to the brand was registered, insured and tagged for street use in Delaware. I never asked to see the title but the owner didn't indicate any problems or tricks to getting it tagged. He said it's top speed is similar to the Ural, ~800cc engine that goes about 60 tops.
2015 Ural Patrol
1996 Magna Deluxe
previous Honda's were
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:55 pm

I understand regional exceptions apply once you cross the river, but the one that exposed me to the brand was registered, insured and tagged for street use in Delaware.
It's powered by the Chery (Chinese) SQR371F; 812cc EFI 3 cylinder; the same engine used in the Kawasaki Mule. But I don't think it's EPA certified for street use. Of course that isn't to say it wasn't registered somehow.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

BlueRockCrawler
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:48 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:26 am
I've seen the Orieon Reaper.
Very cool.
It isn't street legal in any states around here though.
Not sure why so many dealers/forums say that the Reaper is street legal.

In most states there are exceptions for some small low speed vehicles (LSV), but these exceptions are almost always for electric vehicles. Here is the NJ law...

A LSV is a four-wheeled vehicle with an attainable speed of more than 20 miles per hour, but no more than 25 miles per hour on a paved surface. It cannot be powered by gas or diesel fuel and must comply with federal safety standards as noted in 49 CFR 571.500.

Important note: Municipalities can impose a LSV ban on ALL roadways within their jurisdiction.

If you operate a LSV:

You may not drive LSVs on roadways with speed limits that exceed 25 mph. (In limited cases, if deemed appropriate by a municipality, county or the NJDOT, LSVs may be permitted on roadways with speed limits that do not exceed 35 mph).

Also the speed limit in NJ State parks is 35mph. So technically even if a Reaper met the definition of an LSV, you STILL couldn't ride in State Parks.
Looking at Delaware law, it doesn't specify propulsion method and would seem to allow dead dinosaur burning, but the low speed vehicle roadway restrictions are very similar. It's very probable it's tagged as a LSV and police DGAF as long as it's got a tag. He said that he couldn't take it on the highway and I just assumed it was because of the HP.
2015 Ural Patrol
1996 Magna Deluxe
previous Honda's were
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna