Does anyone else feel weird riding a bike without a sidecar?

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Does anyone else feel weird riding a bike without a sidecar?

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:44 pm

I'm back & forth between Ural & modified Enfield G5 Deluxe. The Enfield is a bit tall with 19" wheels, but not hard to mount when on its side stand. Solo riding is so well imprinted on my reflex memory, that I have no trouble switching - other than being old, & holding it up. I find it easy to slow gradually for stop signs, & frequently can balance on pegs a long time for boulevard stops, just not long lights.
Someday I will probably need to give up solo riding due to age.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by rivers » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:03 pm

Snakeoil wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:52 pm

Probably the hardest adjustment when switching between bikes is on my Brits with the shift pedal on the right and the brake on the left. That can bite me now and again.

The Ural automatically puts me in sidecar mode. No thought required, which is a good thing when you have gray hair.
+1
Yeah grey hair here too and I remember my Old Brits days while owning later bikes. Some exciting momements mixing up the pedals :o
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

tgtrotter

Post by tgtrotter » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:59 pm

I drive my Ural more than ride my Harley. When I get on my Dresser I purposely ride up to the end of my cul-de-sac to quickly relearn I'm on two wheels.
It must be age but I actually feel safer on my Ural. One thing for sure is I'm not commuting doing 80 mph in the left lane, which is a way of survival here.
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

tgtrotter

Post by tgtrotter » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:04 pm

I drive my Ural more than ride my Harley. When I get on my Dresser I purposely ride up to the end of my cul-de-sac to quickly relearn I'm on two wheels.

It must be age but I actually feel safer on my Ural. One thing for sure is I'm not commuting on my Ural, doing 80 mph in the left lane, which is a way of survival here.

No problem getting back on the Ural. Just drive it. Slowly and enjoyable staying off the freeway/Interstate.

Happytrails
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Happytrails » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:16 pm

tgtrotter wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:04 pm
...No problem getting back on the Ural.
Although Urals are new to me it feels this way to me too. Feels very comfortable hopping back on the Ural. Hoping to get on both bikes tomorrow (not at the same time!). Very lucky to have 2 bikes.

Early October and most bikes locally are garaged for the winter. See the occasional 2 wheeler and give em a wave. Fall is such a good time of year to ride right up until they throw a bunch of salt on the roads. Can get another 2-4 months of riding when the weather gets cooler. Have to take advantage! :)
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

tgtrotter

Post by tgtrotter » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:39 pm

After today's ride I realized how much better and less "weird" it feels having a Monkey in the hack. She, my wife, has proven to be quite a good hack rider. Hardly do I ride without her. Today we did about 70 km of twisty mountain and canyon back roads. So pleasurable to have her with compared to how the Ural would handle without her. And we just leaned into and swayed the curves. Plus it was high 70s.
Screenshot_20181007-172819.jpg
So now I add to previous post. It feels more weird on the Ural without a Monkey in the hack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dogcrazyjen
Comrade
Comrade

Post by dogcrazyjen » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:37 pm

[/quote]

No kidding. My Royal Enfield barely qualifies as "modern", but I miss the solid ka-THUNK when shifting gears. It just quietly does as it's told and half the time I think I've missed the shift.
[/quote]

I LOVE that ka-Thunk! It is so absolutely satisfying, I didn't know I needed it in my life until I had it! I cannot imagine going back to a toe shift. And at this point I probably would tip over at the first stop sign, as a couple other people said.

I have no interest in going back to a 2 wheeler. I probably should, but I love the Ural so much I don't really want to look at another bike.
Jen Kuhn
2012 Gear Up "Simon"
Total Newbie

dogcrazyjen
Comrade
Comrade

Post by dogcrazyjen » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:38 pm

tgtrotter wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:39 pm
After today's ride I realized how much better and less "weird" it feels having a Monkey in the hack. She, my wife, has proven to be quite a good hack rider. Hardly do I ride without her. Today we did about 70 km of twisty mountain and canyon back roads. So pleasurable to have her with compared to how the Ural would handle without her. And we just leaned into and swayed the curves. Plus it was high 70s.
Screenshot_20181007-172819.jpg

So now I add to previous post. It feels more weird on the Ural without a Monkey in the hack.
That is the sweetest post I read all day. Hope you told her that!
Jen Kuhn
2012 Gear Up "Simon"
Total Newbie