Black out powertrain at home?

Here is where the best of "how to" posts and instructional videos will be posted. No more sticky posts clogging up the General Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section
Forum rules
This is the place for the best of & "How to" posts, please post your stuff in the General Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section and the admins or moderators will move them to this section if they are worthy.
tinkerer12

Black out powertrain at home?

Post by tinkerer12 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:08 pm

Hi All,

I am looking at a low mileage 2016 Gear Up, and the previous owner must have driven it in the salt and not hosed it down afterwards as the powertrain looks pretty rough. Have any of you ever done your own engine black out treatment? I've seen this done with small bike exhausts and harley cylinders, and it looks OK, but as I remember you are constantly touching it up every year or two. If you did, what did you use and how is it holding up?

Thanks,
Terry

Ironhand
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Black out powertrain at home?

Post by Ironhand » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:59 am

I have never painted a Ural engine, but I have done a number of custom RD350/400 builds. As with all other things paint-related, prep is key. Simple Green or an acidic mag wheel cleaner can be used to help get some of the crud off the engine. PJ1's engine paint used to be the stuff to use. Baked on hard and resisted scratching, oil, gas, etc.

For what its worth, the "custom" factory powder coat isn't perfect.
2015 Ural Gear Up
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2008 Honda XR650L
2003 Yamaha FZ1

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. —Mark Twain