2013 Gear Up... all lights working EXCEPT the headlight and "presence" light

Here is where the best of "how to" posts and instructional videos will be posted. No more sticky posts clogging up the General Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section
Forum rules
This is the place for the best of & "How to" posts, please post your stuff in the General Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section and the admins or moderators will move them to this section if they are worthy.
MajorFaversham
Party Member
Party Member

2013 Gear Up... all lights working EXCEPT the headlight and "presence" light

Post by MajorFaversham » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Okay, I know this should be a relatively quick fix, BUT... I checked all fuses in the left fork fuse box (all 15 Amp blade type) and they appear to be just fine. I tested the LED headlight itself after removing it and both the high and low beams work. I see a mysterious in line fuse on the wiring diagram but according to the diagram it goes directly from the battery to the tub fuse box. Someone suggested that despite the wiring diagram, if it was blown that would be the problem. I took the housing off of the left handlebar switch and all connections are clean and securely soldered.

What is the easiest way to access this mysterious inline fuse with the least amount of disassembly? Is it hiding under the seat bracket or do I have to remove the gas tank?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
2013 Gobi Gear Up: “Yulia Nova”
Iowa - Farm it, and they will come.

wooden nickel
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: 2013 Gear Up... all lights working EXCEPT the headlight and "presence" light

Post by wooden nickel » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:16 pm

Did you check the headlight relay?
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

MajorFaversham
Party Member
Party Member

Re: 2013 Gear Up... all lights working EXCEPT the headlight and "presence" light

Post by MajorFaversham » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:25 pm

Yes the problem seems to be in the light switch itself. If the wires are twisted 'just the right way" the switch works as designed. Headlight on when key is turned, high beam works, passing button works (I think. The passing button just seems to be a "push to hold and the high beam comes on... release it and the high beam turns off" ).

I swapped out the presence light bulb on the sidecar fender and it stays on when the key is turned as it should whether or not the headlight low beam/running light is on.

All other lights and switches work just fine. The headlight switch seems to be the issue which is strange as all wires have solid solder connections on the switch. With key turned off, I spritzed contact cleaner into the switch itself and clicked it numerous times through all positions and some dirt and crud did drip out.
2013 Gobi Gear Up: “Yulia Nova”
Iowa - Farm it, and they will come.

wooden nickel

Post by wooden nickel » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:47 am

Your passing position is working properly. The most likely problem is a bad solder joint on the switch but it could be a broken wire. Kinda depends on where you were twisting the wires when it worked properly. The switch itself doesn't usually respond to wire twisting. According to the wiring diagram, it is the red wire. Just follow it to the solder joint on the switch, Unless the wiring is pulled over a sharp corner, the most likely problem areas are the solder joint and where the wire enters the switch.
Edit: It is early morning, brain not awake. Since your passing position is working, it almost has to be the switch itself. Both positions use the same wire.
Take it apart and clean the contacts. I usually use a pencil eraser unless they are really burned and then I use a fine file or sandpaper.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:09 pm

Also check all multi-way plugs and sockets. All connectors that go to the headlight. I did once have a R80 switch cluster completely to pieces, no simple job, but nothing wrong with it*. It was bad connectors in the headlight bucket.

(* Until I took it apart, losing a tiny ball bearing in the process, did manage to find a replacement but those switches were never the same since.)
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Ironhand
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Ironhand » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:15 pm

Definitely check the large (blue on my 2015) connectors between the handlebar switchgear and the main harness. Several of us have experienced similar symptoms due to an improperly inserted pin within the right side connector.
2015 Ural Gear Up
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2008 Honda XR650L
2003 Yamaha FZ1

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. —Mark Twain