Bed-lining the tub

Here is where the best of "how to" posts and instructional videos will be posted. No more sticky posts clogging up the General Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section
Forum rules
This is the place for the best of & "How to" posts, please post your stuff in the General Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section and the admins or moderators will move them to this section if they are worthy.
Beastmaster
Party Member
Party Member

Bed-lining the tub

Post by Beastmaster » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:27 pm

I finally got around to painting on my Monstaliner (bought it a couple of months ago). I’ve used this bed liner on a couple of Jeeps and figured it would a great way to armor plate my side car. Thought I'd make a thread with everything I've found in my research and pass on my experience.

The Monstaliner web site list recommendations for quantities for various scenarios but I estimated a quart would be enough and it worked out perfect. The main color for the liner is black but because I have an M70, I bought mine with coloring in military green.

Here are the supplies I picked up:
• MEK
• Gloves
• Face masks (this stuff is pretty caustic)
• 2 small disposable food containers.
• 2 disposable paint trays
• 2 small brushes for the corners
• Masking tape
• 16 disposable ear plugs
After mixing the liner, catalyst and coloring, I poured half in one container (first coat) and half in the other (second coat).
ML 1.JPG
ML 2.JPG
I took about an hour to prep and mask the tub and about half an hour to paint the first coat. I followed the Monstaliner instructions and when it came to masking, I used tape for the large (electrical cable and trunk lock) and some ear plugs and put them in the bolt holes and drain holes.
It took 3 hours to dry and another half-hour for the second coat.
ML 3.JPG
ML 4.JPG
The instructions say to remove the masking tape as soon as you are done with the second coat. I highly recommend you do this since it will be extremely hard to do it when the liner dries. I removed all the ear plugs from the bolt holes and forgot one, it was hard removing it in the morning and it started coming apart in the hole because it was stuck to the liner.
ML 5.JPG
ML 6.JPG
ML 7.JPG
I did this all on a Saturday and it was dry Sunday Morning but not totally hard. I know through experience that it will still smell for a few more days but I can put the floor mats back in and stuff in the trunk before I go to work in the morning.
ML 8.JPG
ML 9.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
>>>The smartest man knows what he doesn't know.<<<
2018 M70 (Natasha) in Beautiful Southern Arizona (Tucson)

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Bed-lining the tub

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:36 am

:lurker:
Love it. I'm just waiting for the timing to be right to "Monstaline" the Mobile Chernobyl's hack interior, hack bottom, and under the fenders.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

VWK75S
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by VWK75S » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:38 am

:thumbsup: Looks great! I'm assuming you can use it on the bottom of the tub?
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 145,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:57 am

Very nice.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Beastmaster
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Beastmaster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:27 am

VWK75S wrote::thumbsup: Looks great! I'm assuming you can use it on the bottom of the tub?
John
Thanks guys :thumbsup:

When you say bottom, do you mean underneath like undercoating? Sure, I don't know why not, after all its basically just really, really thick paint.

Beastmaster
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Beastmaster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:06 am

One thing I forgot to mention:

Make sure you check all your nuts, bolts and screws before sealing them with bed liner! I was able to get a half a turn or so from the main bolts securing the tub to the frame.

Emoore
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: RE: Re: Bed-lining the tub

Post by Emoore » Wed May 02, 2018 9:48 am

When I did mine with Raptor bed liner, I used wooden dowels in the holes so I wouldn't cover the bolts. I didn't want to have to dig them out later if needed.
Beastmaster wrote:One thing I forgot to mention:

Make sure you check all your nuts, bolts and screws before sealing them with bed liner! I was able to get a half a turn or so from the main bolts securing the tub to the frame.
Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Ernest
2012 Ural T Olive (Roulette)
2011 Patrol (OTTO)
Yamaha FZ07 ( My need for speed )

Wake Forest, NC

John Wayne - Life's Hard. It's Even Harder When You're Stupid.