Final Drive Surgery with Pics

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Re: Final Drive Surgery with Pics

Post by MartyL » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:23 am

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
Coluralado wrote:
cdscoot wrote:
Coluralado wrote:
Mikehusa wrote:May be a stupid question but can you/do you dykem blue the ring and pinion and rotate it a couple of times to help set lash?
Lipstick works really well...just don't let your wife catch you using hers!
HUH? .... you have some of your own ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone! :P
This isn't as big a deal as you might think.
Women frequently buy lipstick and then decide they don't like the color, consistency, staying power, whatever.
So just ask your woman to set aside any lipstick that she doesn't use, instead of throwing it away.

It has a myriad of uses. Use it on the corners of electrical boxes, then press the sheet rock against it to get the exact positioning.
When checking the clearances of tight parts, spread it on things and assemble, then take apart and see where it has transferred.
Wonder how hot a mechanical part gets during use, but can't reach it when it's in use? Put some lipstick on a metal plate.
Heat gently with a lighter, observe where it goes liquid and measure temp with a IR thermometer.
Now apply lipstick to the part. If it melts you know you've exceeded that temp at some point.

Just make sure you smear some nasty black grease on it, so your buddies won't think you are using it to dress up as a lady. :-D
Oh No!!! :shock: A Lipstick thread!!! Next thing you know we'll be asking if Lancome' is better than Loreal.... :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol:
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:23 pm

MartyL wrote:Oh No!!! :shock: A Lipstick thread!!! Next thing you know we'll be asking if Lancome' is better than Loreal.... :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol:
It's not the brand, so much as color coordinating with your rigs color...

n3303j

Post by n3303j » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Now we've hit useless nattering. :sarcasm:
Time to unsubscribe.
Ron Cichowski

1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV STOCK
1996/2014 Ural Sportsman.
Severely Upgraded, Modified and Remanufactured.
1977 Moto Guzzi 850 T3-FB ALMOST STOCK

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Post by MartyL » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Sorry... :oops: Now back to our regularly scheduled program..... :)
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:54 pm

n3303j wrote:Now we've hit useless nattering. :sarcasm:
Time to unsubscribe.

Is there such a thing as useful nattering? :?
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:28 pm

While I wanted to document my final drive rebuild and share what I found for both my own edification and the enlightenment of others, I never intended this to be a step-by-step illustrated diagram of an FD rebuild.

If someone wants to make it pretty, put my pics in order and make it into a guide, be my guest, just credit my pics.

Otherwise I will be interjecting nattering, both useful and otherwise, throughout.

On topic, I picked up a replacement for the pinion bearing, fig 3304B.TVH.
Billy G. refers to this as a "#5304". The dimensions for both a 3304 and 5304 are the same, but the one I sourced has a steel cage and higher load ratings than a 5304 and the fig 3304. The fig was not available locally.

This was necessitated by the discovery this weekend of some tangible drag and a slight "grittiness" in the bearing after cleaning it. I think some metal shavings/pieces got in the bearing. I cleaned it with solvent and reoiled, but couldn't get rid of whatever was causing the issue.
This is probably the most crucial bearing in the FD, so I didn't want to risk it and got a new one.

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:38 pm

From my point of view, this is your thread so natter all you want! :thumbsup:

:lurker:

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by URAL CT » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:10 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote: On topic, I picked up a replacement for the pinion bearing, fig 3304B.TVH.
Billy G. refers to this as a "#5304". The dimensions for both a 3304 and 5304 are the same, but the one I sourced has a steel cage and higher load ratings than a 5304 and the fig 3304. The fig was not available locally.
This was necessitated by the discovery this weekend of some tangible drag and a slight "grittiness" in the bearing after cleaning it. I think some metal shavings/pieces got in the bearing. I cleaned it with solvent and reoiled, but couldn't get rid of whatever was causing the issue.
This is probably the most crucial bearing in the FD, so I didn't want to risk it and got a new one.
Good on you...one of my FD fiasco was this. +1 on the higher load rating, this bearing takes/absorbs a lot of loading, IMHO. The bearing fell apart & the FD locked up, made a terrible sound. I had just exited I-40 & into a truck stop when it locked up. :? Oh well...
CT
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

Ambu-dude
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Ambu-dude » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Great info, that I'm filing away for potential future use. I really like the styletto color ---matches my patrol nicely :lol: :lol:
Darwin was onto something!
BMW R 1200 GS 2005 - totaled by an aberrant ash tree. :(
BMW R 100 GS 1994 - affectionately known as Crash
2011 Patrol!!

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Post by cdscoot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:13 am

Great info ben dere .... so if she gets hot enough her lipstick will melt ! I gotta get some for the next time ! :lol:
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:15 am

OK, I may have found an error on the Ural Parts list...

I went out to the garage tonight to work on the FD in preparation for finishing up tomorrow with a little help from ReCycled.
I pick up the new bearing and WTF? "Houston we have a problem..."

The bearing I need to replace is this one in the spline hub, where the 2WD yoke bolts up...

If you note at the top it says "3204B.TVH" It's hard to see, but cleaned up it is very clear.
Well when I ordered the parts I was looking at the Ural Parts diagram and list...

Which is in the lower right of this diagram, labeled #45...

Which the parts list calls 3304B.TVH...

So since I was looking at the parts list and not the actual bearing when I ordered, I received the wrong part!
The 3304B bearing is the one on the pinion, so when someone was doing the parts list they stuck that bearing on twice and the 3204B bearing, not at all.
For those of you looking at the Billy G page this is the "204" bearing he refers to, as it's equivalent to the SKF 5204.

So I am dead in the water on my rebuild. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh....

It's only 6 days to the Jersey Devil Hunt...I should have known it wouldn't be THAT easy.
I'll be scrambling tomorrow trying to find a bearing shop that's open on a Saturday.
If not, I'll have to source it locally and send the 3304 back.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:17 am

Oh and $200 to anyone who delivers a 3204B or 5204 to my doorstep by 9am tomorrow. ;)

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:41 am

BinDerSmokDat wrote:Oh and $200 to anyone who delivers a 3204B or 5204 to my doorstep by 9am tomorrow. ;)

There isn't a local bearing supplier with that bearing in stock?

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Coluralado wrote:There isn't a local bearing supplier with that bearing in stock?
I called all over, NAPA was the best bet; they had it in the warehouse, said they could get it 1st thing Monday. :(
All the bearing suppliers near here were closed on Saturday. I guess they do mostly commercial sales and not much walk-in business. :(
None of the local Ural dealers had it in stock, they all had the 3304 in stock. :o

Phila. Ball and Roller will have it, I'm going to swing by there 1st thing Monday morning.
So once again I'll be wrenching on the bike right before another Jersey Devil Hunt. :evil:
I need to do the alignment as well, but of course I can't do that without the bike together. :roll:
Last edited by BinDerSmokDat on Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Oh and whoever has a contact at Ural, let them know there parts list is wrong. :lol: