Final Drive Surgery with Pics

Here is where the best of "how to" posts and instructional videos will be posted. No more sticky posts clogging up the General Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section
Forum rules
This is the place for the best of & "How to" posts, please post your stuff in the General Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section and the admins or moderators will move them to this section if they are worthy.
BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Final Drive Surgery with Pics

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed May 15, 2019 1:49 pm

I really don't want to have to Dremel the inner race.
Even with a small cutting wheel it is difficult to cut the race without cutting the wall of the driven hub.
There is no way to get any kind of puller to grab the race, but a Google search came up with this neat trick.

I'm going to try it tonight.
Basically you weld a bead inside of the race.
When the bead cools and contracts, the race falls out of the hub.
Fingers crossed.

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Wed May 15, 2019 2:06 pm

I read back through the thread and can't figure out which race you're talking about. Which race are you having trouble removing?

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 pm

rougaroo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:06 pm
I read back through the thread and can't figure out which race you're talking about. Which race are you having trouble removing?
Last year while working on the sidecar wheel bearing I dropped the 2WD shaft on the 2010 FD and the ball cage of this bearing popped out...

The cage was broken and the balls and inner race weren't being held in by anything.

So instead of taking it apart (I had a ride coming up) I threw my 2005 "spare" FD on the bike.
When the 2005 FD blew up last week, I had to get off my lazy a$$ and fix the 2010 FD as it was a quicker fix than rebuilding the 2005.

There is no way to get behind the bearing and tap it out from the spline end.
My thought was to weld a bar of steel or a washer over the race and then use that to tap out the race.

I didn't have to do that, I'm happy to announce that the above "welding inside the race trick" worked.
However in the link they use a MIG welder and I only have a cheap flux core.
This led to a little weld splatter and some BB's I had to clean off the drive hub.

Next time I'll shove a wet rag in the hole and wipe some nozzle paste on the edge of the hub.

I'm busy getting ready for the Jersey devil Hunt this Thursday, I'll post pics when I can.
I'll also detail the rebuild of the 2005 FD as I go.

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 pm

Depending on whether you have a welder or not and how many times you might run into something like that race, there's this or similar. I don't have a welder, so went with this:
https://www.harborfreight.com/slide-ham ... 62601.html

I've used it for the race in the triple tree, the FD, etc. Yeah, it sits unused for a long time, but when you need it it does the trick.

There are different sized internal tools with sharp flanges to grab the edge of the race. You screw in the bolt end, expanding the flanges against the race. Once you have a purchase, even a small one, you use the slide hammer to pop the race out.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed May 29, 2019 10:58 am

rougaroo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 pm
...I don't have a welder, so went with this...
That isn't going to work; I tried. :(
The bearing race fits against a machined lip inside the splined hub.
There is no gap or lip to catch the race.
The inside of the race is curved to hold two rows of ball bearings, so there is no lip there to get a purchase on.
If the bearing is intact, a puller or tapping it from behind with a socket and long extension/tommy bar will work as shown on Billy G's excellent page.

If the bearing sh!t the bed and isn't intact, you need to Dremel the race or try the welding trick.