"Best of" and "How to"

Here is where the best of "how to" posts and instructional videos will be posted. No more sticky posts clogging up the General Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section
Forum rules
This is the place for the best of & "How to" posts, please post your stuff in the General Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section and the admins or moderators will move them to this section if they are worthy.
H&S
Comrade
Comrade

Re: "Best of" and "How to"

Post by H&S » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:01 am

This is indeed extremely helpful. I do have one minor point to have clarified though:

l. Float bowl:
1) How to check motorcycle float heights http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PHuB1lyagK ... re=related
2) Float Height: If measuring - with the carb bottom up, only 5mm ± 1mm should be showing - (ed - need to confirm)

Could someone please explain this? Before I decided to touch my Air/ fuel mixture screw, I decided to raise the float slightly (bending the metal tab). The 'lean symptoms' were gone. Of course, I would like to match these up to an actual 'measurement', but if anyone watched the included youtube video, this float bowl adjustment (if included) would have sat on the chart for an approx. 1/8 open throttle (the popping stopped as the throttle opened after that). The issue this was causing was an embarrassing pop/ snort type take off, with the clutch to assist it get moving.

Adjusting those floats was definitely the right move before I touched the A/F mixture screw (left sleeping screws lie). If anyone can explain where the measurement ( 5mm ± 1mm) is to be taken, would sure appreciate it.

H&S

Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Lokiboy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:26 am

H&S wrote:This is indeed extremely helpful. I do have one minor point to have clarified though:

l. Float bowl:
1) How to check motorcycle float heights http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PHuB1lyagK ... re=related
2) Float Height: If measuring - with the carb bottom up, only 5mm ± 1mm should be showing - (ed - need to confirm)

Could someone please explain this? Before I decided to touch my Air/ fuel mixture screw, I decided to raise the float slightly (bending the metal tab). The 'lean symptoms' were gone. Of course, I would like to match these up to an actual 'measurement', but if anyone watched the included youtube video, this float bowl adjustment (if included) would have sat on the chart for an approx. 1/8 open throttle (the popping stopped as the throttle opened after that). The issue this was causing was an embarrassing pop/ snort type take off, with the clutch to assist it get moving.

Adjusting those floats was definitely the right move before I touched the A/F mixture screw (left sleeping screws lie). If anyone can explain where the measurement ( 5mm ± 1mm) is to be taken, would sure appreciate it.

H&S
H&S, that came from a slide presentation on Ural carbs, from the Ural/Dneper site (No. 1a at the top of the "How to" thread http://www.goodkarmaproductions.com/HTML/Tech.html ). Have not gotten around to checking the measurement since returning from overseas. I think the leveling, shown in the video, would be the better solution if I were checking.

Hope that answers your question.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

H&S
Comrade
Comrade

Post by H&S » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:58 am

…….observe the fuel level height after it settles relative to the intersection between the
carburetor body and the float bowl. (from the article)

Got it. Thanks Lokiboy. I would have gone for the A/F mixture screw had I not stumbled across this.

H&S

H&S
Comrade
Comrade

Post by H&S » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:26 am

…..scratch the last post…..-20 deg. C today, back to popping and farting even after a warm up. I went to the A/F mixture screws. Seated the needle in 1.5 turns. They are now 2.5 turns out (CCW) now and the popping is gone when warm (also, the accelerator is not hanging when quickly twisting open anymore). I guess I was running a little lean.

Nevertheless, I got my answer on this thread. Good job.

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:10 am

H&S wrote:…..scratch the last post…..-20 deg. C today, back to popping and farting even after a warm up. I went to the A/F mixture screws. Seated the needle in 1.5 turns. They are now 2.5 turns out (CCW) now and the popping is gone when warm (also, the accelerator is not hanging when quickly twisting open anymore). I guess I was running a little lean.

Nevertheless, I got my answer on this thread. Good job.
Being at 2.5 turns vs. 1.5 means you are now running richer than previously. Everything I've read points to when the A/F is seated it is maxed lean setting, and you enrich it out as you turn CCW.
Last edited by Lokiboy on Sun May 24, 2015 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

H&S
Comrade
Comrade

Post by H&S » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:48 pm

I am looking at a schematic on the carports.com ………. Lokiboy, you are right. By opening the mixture screw a turn, I am running leaner. I wonder how this has remedied the symptoms I had of running lean (when blipping the throttle from idle, it would hang/ stall. When releasing the throttle, it would not return to idle rpm immediately). Does not make sense. Perhaps I will open out the carbs and check that height as opposed to that manometric height (with the clear tube) method and see how it compares. I obtained a measurement spec. of 17mm for float bottom measurement from a Kawasaki forum website (yes, I own a KLR too) for the CVK32

I like that the engine sounds better, but it would be nicer to attribute it to something I actually did :lol:

H&S

Kayaken John
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Kayaken John » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:45 am

Great Info, Thanks. Answered a lot of questions for me. :cheers:
Motorcycles owned, 2012 Ural Yamal LE, 1999 KLR 650, 1971 TS185 Suzuki (2)

H&S
Comrade
Comrade

Post by H&S » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:51 am

…….sorry to beat a dead horse, but here's what transpired……..

From the specs., I adjusted the tabs to have the float circumference at 17mm with the bowl interface. When I put a clear hose on the drain though to engineer a makeshift U-tube, the level was short a fair bit though. Trial and error with that tab, and I was able to bring the level to the bowl interface (0.5mm +/- 1mm)

I synched the carbs up and 150 Km later, I can report that the engine sounds better, responds well and fuel efficiency seems to have improved. Oh, I did take the air-fuel screw to 1.5 turns out which is apparently factory setting. No issues there. This was a very informative post. Thanks Lokiboy.

lowie

Post by lowie » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:55 am

:clap: This would be the handiest post I have ever come across , no wonder its called the Best of . Great stuff .

jchoby

Post by jchoby » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:20 am

Awesome…. I'm gonna print this out and stuff in the document pouch
17 BMW R1200RT - current “Elsa”
14 Ural Gear Up - current "Katya"
13 Honda CB1100 - gone
00 Harley Softail - gone
94 Harley Sportster - gone
77 Honda CB750 - gone
74 Suzuki TS-185 gone

mossbackman
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by mossbackman » Sat May 23, 2015 10:35 pm

Thanks, it's now a 17 double sided page word document. Laminated!
2009 Retro - Kisa
I was born, did a bunch of things and then I got a Ural!
http://www.dav.org

Wooglin

Post by Wooglin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:49 am

Just a heads up, the youtube videos for adjusting the neutral light have been removed.

Edit: Also, the video for Carb slide drill is no longer there either. Link dead: http://www.youtube.com/embed/xqKsQzIFWqs

Edit edit: and this link is also dead: c) Clutch Vent: Ural Service - COB Clutch Vent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYg9mh61-98

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Wooglin wrote:Just a heads up, the youtube videos for adjusting the neutral light have been removed.

Edit: Also, the video for Carb slide drill is no longer there either. Link dead: http://www.youtube.com/embed/xqKsQzIFWqs

Edit edit: and this link is also dead: c) Clutch Vent: Ural Service - COB Clutch Vent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYg9mh61-98
Thanks. I'll try and get with the original poster and get them up and running
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Chris_Mc1_1

Post by Chris_Mc1_1 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:28 pm

what a wealth of info...
thank you
Chris
2010 Ural Patrol
2003 Suzuki Volusa
1976 MG MGB convertible

Kewaunee, WI

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:13 pm

Wooglin wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:49 am
Just a heads up, the youtube videos for adjusting the neutral light have been removed.

here is Gobiums neutral light stuff way down the video list. lemoto.info/c5%3A-gearbox
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)