2018 Gear-Up sidecar spotlights not working

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
soundlogic

2018 Gear-Up sidecar spotlights not working

Post by soundlogic » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:00 pm

I just took delivery of a “new/old stock” 2018 Gear-up, with 50 miles on it, on Father’s Day. It was shipped from the dealer in Plano, Texas to my home in N. Idaho, therefore I did not have a chance to do any kind of “pre-purchase test” of any kind. I have ridden it twice with no issues...except, I cannot turn on the sidecar LED spotlights. I have checked the fuse, and it appears intact. Any suggestions?
(My nearest dealer is about 375 miles one-way, so consequently, I will be my own “local mechanic”)
Thanks in advance!
Tim

treebone
Comrade
Comrade

Re: 2018 Gear-Up sidecar spotlights not working

Post by treebone » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:22 pm

Welcome to the club.
I would start by loosening (no need to remove) the two bolts holding the steel plate the switches and fuse box are mounted on. If you have a windscreen on the hack, you might want to remove it. pull the plate off and check all the wire connections for corrosion or looseness, clean and tighten if needed. Then trace the wire loom out of the tub to the front leg, up towards the gas tank you will find a connector that you can disconnect to check for corrosion or maybe it was not fully engaged. If those spots do not solve the problem you may have to dig deeper, but I have not gone that far and not able to advise.
Since you are getting aquainted with your new rig, it would be a good idea to lay out your tool roll and take out tools one at a time. Go all around the bike with each tool and try it on whatever fastener it will fit. This will help you familiarize yourself and you will no doubt find a number of things that are loose. By the time you try each tool you will have made quite a few trips around your machine and have a much better idea of how it is put together. Better to learn at home than on the road.
Enjoy.
Current- -2015 Gearup Sportsman Adventure Camp Wandawega Edition
Gone but not forgotten- -2009 Patrol, Sold at 26000 klicks

Donbmw
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Donbmw » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:26 pm

Make sure the accessory plug for the Sidecar is plugged in at the front strut. There is a inline 20 amp fuse under the seat also.
2015 Patrol, 1980 R65, 1982 R65 bought new, 1975 R 90/6, 1959TR3 Triumph

Don

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:30 pm

soundlogic wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:00 pm
...snip... to my home in N. Idaho, ...snip... Any suggestions?
(My nearest dealer is about 375 miles one-way, so consequently, I will be my own “local mechanic”)
Thanks in advance!
Tim
Where are you in N. Idaho? Post where you are so folks may be able to help. I am in SE ID, dealer here is mainly an Indian dealership. I made some useful suggestions to them as they were building the store, like door width that a Ural would fit through. Ha , ha. They were having troubles with a couple of GUs, so I steered them in some directions for that also. Maybe they improved in the past couple of years, I have no idea if so.

Parts or "bling" as they call it are somewhat easy to find on Black-Grey Markets, other owners selling this or that. Be patient. Other than that, Terry in Ohio, Holopaw in Florida, Ural New England, Boston Mass are excelent parts sources. Ural NE is a little on expensive side, but usually has nearly anything.

I have built my own stainless steel Right-Side High exhaust with a great looking (new-throw-away) black Harly muffler. (if you want a nice new HD muffler, I have 4 or 5 various ones, just give away.) I find that a High exhaust muffler, either side, is needed for rough BLM/Forest roads, and a requirement for Moab. Look up Moab threads and you will see fantastic places for Urals! I have added Mr. Cob skidplate, 3-point engine crash guard, heated grips, LED lights for road and inside tub+trunk, and a few other things. You might check to see if you 2 driveshafts are synchronized BTW. If you are far enough north, you would do well to put the Duro 307s (cheapo knobbies) on at least pusher and sidecar for winter. If also added to front, they make steering far better. They only cost about ~$55, a place in Iowa or Ohio, doan remember where. Others may chime in with name.

I am up by Stanley or Salmon at times, seeking to go "catching" fish reather than just "fishing". Perhaps meet somewhere some time? Welcome to foil world.

cheers.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

windmill

Post by windmill » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:35 pm

A 2018 has a handle barswitch that isn't very durable, I had 2 fail. I've since replaced it with one from Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0190 ... UTF8&psc=1

I had to file it down a little on the back to clear the brake fluid reservoir, but it seems to be holding up ok, and is easier to use.
IMG_3313.JPG

OE switch,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:36 pm

Wiring diagram is at:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 281%29.pdf

There are two connectors that go down the front sidecar strut, one for sidecar fuse panel power, one for the switch that might be mixed up.

Other than that, it's gonna be chasing the wiring.

I have similar switches to what Barry posted and have had good luck with them for over 2 years.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

soundlogic

Post by soundlogic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:00 pm

Thanks to ALL, for the great suggestions! I will start the chase down process as time free's itself around here. Also, great suggestion about the tool kit and nut tightening.
To Siberman1, I am in Hayden, ID. about 100 miles south of the Canadian border.
Thanks again Y'all, and be safe and healthy!
I will update when and if I find the gremlin.
Tim

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:04 pm

You need a volt meter and start tracing power. First check is at the fuse. Next one is at the switch.

If power to the light, then at the light. Bad LED possible, if there is power to the light then its a bad light.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:57 pm

RC20 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:04 pm
You need a volt meter and start tracing power. First check is at the fuse. Next one is at the switch.

If power to the light, then at the light. Bad LED possible, if there is power to the light then its a bad light.
If there is power to the light and the light doesn't light it could also be a bad ground.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

windmill

Post by windmill » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:12 pm

jeffsaline wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:57 pm
RC20 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:04 pm

If there is power to the light and the light doesn't light it could also be a bad ground.

Best,

Jeff
The ground wire for the 2 lights is also the ground for the relay that supplies the power to the lights. If the switch activates the the relay, and supplies power, it could only be the ground wire from the fuse panel to the lights.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018/20 M70

soundlogic

Post by soundlogic » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:30 pm

Update to my LED spotlight issue:
Ordered a new switch from Amazon. Checked continuity of old switch via waterproof connector below tank going to sidecar, no bueno. Temporarily tested the Amazon switch into the connector going to sidecar using alligator clips. Lights worked! Without the key on...which is apparently the way its wired. In the meantime, I took the clear waterproof cover off the factory switch and sprayed contact cleaner into the front and began working the swich, and bam! the lights started working. So, at this point I'll just roll with the factory switch. I will keep the Amazon switch as a spare, since I know it will be a matter of time when the factory switch goes South again. Thanks again to all the forum members wo chimed in with the great suggestions and comments!
Tim

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:31 pm

soundlogic wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:30 pm
Lights worked! Without the key on...which is apparently the way its wired.
Many people put a relay in the fuse panel, connected to a keyed power source, to keep the lights from being accidentally turned on/ left on.

It's not uncommon for me to come back to my bike and various switches have been adjusted. Someone getting the satisfaction of turning on one set of lights, might then be motivated to do other things for additional rewards.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Eric N wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:31 pm
soundlogic wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:30 pm
Lights worked! Without the key on...which is apparently the way its wired.
Many people put a relay in the fuse panel, connected to a keyed power source, to keep the lights from being accidentally turned on/ left on.

It's not uncommon for me to come back to my bike and various switches have been adjusted. Someone getting the satisfaction of turning on one set of lights, might then be motivated to do other things for additional rewards.
I've semi-retired the sidecar LED driving lights, so to speak. I'm rather unimpressed with their performance during night riding. As the mounting bracket isn't adjustable, there's little I can do to improve the lights' aim. They do have some utility as a visibility aid during daylight riding. That's about it.

I like the aesthetic of the sidecar's paired LED lights, but I wonder if the legacy spotlight, with a proper lens and bulb upgrade, would provide a greater ROI for the rider. That was certainly the case when I upgraded the OEM headlight with the popular Hella 7" headlamp and Auxbeam NF-S1 LED bulb combination.

Yes, the company's choice to use an unswitched circuit to power said LED lights is mildly frustrating. I've not yet discovered anyone mucking about with the switches and levers on the rig. If I ever start a Go Fund Me page for bail money, you'll know why. :lol:
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

windmill

Post by windmill » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:45 pm

Lofty wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:33 pm

I like the aesthetic of the sidecar's paired LED lights, but I wonder if the legacy spotlight, with a proper lens and bulb upgrade, would provide a greater ROI for the rider. That was certainly the case when I upgraded the OEM headlight with the popular Hella 7" headlamp and Auxbeam NF-S1 LED bulb combination.

That's exactly what I did with the spotlight on my M70, a standard Hella H4 5 3/4" headlight fits perfectly. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-002850001

I used a Hella with the Auxbeam NF-S1 just like the headlight. The low beam is still wired to the handle bar switch, and the high beam is connected to the headlight high beam circuit.

That gives me 3 levels of light, all legal and safe for other road users. (actually 5 if one counts city lamp, and off)
1, single low beam
2, double low beam
3, double high beam

Clips in like normal, rubber boot fits, add standard plug and wire for high beam.
IMG_3317.JPG
Lens stands out from rim, so I wrapped it with electrical tape so it doesn't glare.
IMG_3318.JPG
IMG_3319.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

2018/20 M70

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:33 pm

I did the same as Barry on my 17 CT only I put the switch in the ground for the spotlight so I can shut it off completely. At night the spotlight interferes with the camera I have mounted in the MG mount so I turn the spotlight off when using the camera.
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
2002 Ural solo bobber/chopper (work in progress) “Symphony of Destruction”
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)