Breaking in a new transmission

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Beastmaster
Party Member
Party Member

Breaking in a new transmission

Post by Beastmaster » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:16 pm

Hi gang, I've been without my Ural (2018 M70) for right at a month now and just got a phone call that its ready at the shop and I have some questions.

The transmission started acting up early during the holidays last year (it kept popping out of 3rd gear during the upshift) so I took it in to have it looked at. Its all covered under the warranty and they decided to replace the whole transmission rather that work on it.

If you don't mind, I'll talk miles instead of kilometers since my bike is set up that way.

My question is that now that I have a Motorcycle with 12,000 miles on the engine and a transmission with almost none, how should I handle the break-in? My current plan is to follow the normal break-in procedures per the manual for the first 620 miles with an oil change at 310 miles.

The manual reads:
1. Do not overload or “lug” the engine. (I shouldn't think this would matter for the transmission)
2. Do not exceed a top speed beyond 60mph.
3. Do not ride at a constant rpm for long periods of time.
4. Try to vary speed and load when riding.
5. Shift smoothly between gears and do not down shift at high rpm.
6. Always be sure the engine is warmed up before riding.
7. Follow the pre-ride inspection.

Am I over-thinking this?
>>>The smartest man knows what he doesn't know.<<<
2018 M70 (Natasha) in Beautiful Southern Arizona (Tucson)

Donbmw
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Breaking in a new transmission

Post by Donbmw » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:58 pm

I followed the first mileage when I had my transmission replace.
2015 Patrol, 1980 R65, 1982 R65 bought new, 1975 R 90/6, 1959TR3 Triumph

Don

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:58 pm

I don’t think the break-in applies to the transmission.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

windmill

Post by windmill » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:45 am

Back in 2013 IMWA replaced the transmission main shaft on my Patrol when they installed a prototype clutch, but they didn't mention anything about breaking it in after the rebuild, and they're usually don't overlook such things.

They reminded me several times about following the break in procedure after they installed the Gen II EFI, and 2020 engine upgrades on my M70.

I don't think its a concern with the transmission.

Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:58 am

I had my transmission rebuilt by Heindl a couple years ago, plugged it back in with a new clutch and never gave it a second thought as far as break in.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Beastmaster
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Beastmaster » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:29 am

Very cool, thanks for all the feedback.

I wanted to get some opinions here because the place that has done the work is new to Urals. They specialize in Italian motorcycles and just became authorized to do warranty work and not sure they know all the ins and out of the bikes yet. In fact, that's one of the reasons it took so long, they were waiting on books & equipment to work on another unrelated issue I had.

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:06 am

If it was my machine and new transmission I would ride it like normal and change the lube at about 100 miles immediately after finishing a ride while the lube is still hot. I would drain into a clean catch basin and check for magnetic particles/pieces. I would also examine the catch on the magnetic drain plug. If it is toothpaste smooth I would be wipe it clean and move on. If it is gritty like sugar or larger particles I would do another lube change after 100 more miles and check again. I would also use a new crush washer on the drain plug and not over tighten it. Fill with your lube of choice.

Do be aware it might take hundreds of miles to get it shifting smoothly (for a Ural).

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

windmill

Post by windmill » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:40 am

jeffsaline wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:06 am
I would also use a new crush washer on the drain plug and not over tighten it.
Ural moved away from crush washers to Dowty washers several years ago, they would be OE on the OPs bike, and what Ural would supply if ordered from them. There's no reason to replace them unless there's visable damage to the seal, and that's unlikely. The ones on my Patrol are at least 10 years old,and still look like new.

They only need to be 2 finger snug.

Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Beastmaster
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Beastmaster » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:52 pm

windmill wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:40 am
jeffsaline wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:06 am
I would also use a new crush washer on the drain plug and not over tighten it.
Ural moved away from crush washers to Dowty washers several years ago, they would be OE on the OPs bike, and what Ural would supply if ordered from them. There's no reason to replace them unless there's visable damage to the seal, and that's unlikely. The ones on my Patrol are at least 10 years old,and still look like new.

They only need to be 2 finger snug.

So that's what they're called :thumbsup:

I love the forums for the helpful tidbits of info like this, thanks. :bow:

dale914
Comrade
Comrade

Post by dale914 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:30 pm

I just had my transmission replaced too. Both the dealer (who said the Ural's were carbonated until 2019 and that phasing the drive shafts doesn't matter) and Ural HQ in Redmond said that only the oil change is what needs to be observed. HQ said "take it easy for the first couple miles just to make sure it's all working, but that mostly applies to the engine, you can change the oil, and you'll get some slurry as the gears are breaking in, but it's not as urgent as the engine" so I'll be doing the oil, but otherwise, not too worried. I am sad that my tranny is rough and noisy again, but hopefully it'll smooth out.
19 Ural Gear Up
05 Triumph Rocket 3
04 Honda CBR F4i
04 Honda Shadow
00 Yamaha VMAX

Beastmaster
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Beastmaster » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:56 pm

dale914 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:30 pm
I just had my transmission replaced too. Both the dealer (who said the Ural's were carbonated until 2019 and that phasing the drive shafts doesn't matter) and Ural HQ in Redmond said that only the oil change is what needs to be observed. HQ said "take it easy for the first couple miles just to make sure it's all working, but that mostly applies to the engine, you can change the oil, and you'll get some slurry as the gears are breaking in, but it's not as urgent as the engine" so I'll be doing the oil, but otherwise, not too worried. I am sad that my tranny is rough and noisy again, but hopefully it'll smooth out.
I think I will do this as well, better safe than sorry. :cheers:

Hopefully your tranny smooths out soon. :shock: