Sidecar Wheel Spacer

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Bullethead
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Sidecar Wheel Spacer

Post by Bullethead » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:53 pm

Sorry if I’m starting a new thread unnecessarily but I couldn’t find anything directly related to the situation I came upon recently. Long story as short as possible, took our rig to our dealer. Warranty runs out in about six months and I had a couple of items I’d wanted to get checked out. One of these was a noise my wife reported noticing coming from the sidecar wheel occasionally. I’d jacked the hack up and thought there was a bit too much wheel play, snugged the axle nut and wondered why the cotter pin was below the castle nut cover. So...eventually the mechanic comes out to confer with the service manager. Before he was willing to present his findings, it seemed, he was interested in establishing that he hadn’t done the prep on my rig. It seems that a washer/spacer that belongs under the castle nut had been left out during the initial setup. 😣 So, I’m 4000 miles down the road with a wobbling wheel. Tire looks good, handling was always okay. Still, it’s a bit alarming. Wondering what effect this might have had on bearings and splines. We’ll see. Input welcome.
Way Out Western NY
2018 Gear Up; The Black Pearl
1977 Yamaha XS650D
2002 Honda Metropolitan II
2012 Genuine Stella 4T
2012 Vespa LX 150

Lofty

Re: Sidecar Wheel Spacer

Post by Lofty » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:58 pm

The sidecar wheel spacer(s), if present, are important. If removed, they must be refitted in the same position and quantity as existed prior to removal. 'Twas advice I received just after taking delivery of my Gear Up.

I'm told that the spacers are fitted at Irbit according to individual need (manufacturing tolerances being a bit looser than, e.g., Honda's assembly line. :wink: )

The spacers slide on and off the axle in a straightforward manner.

It's instructive to consider the mechanic's desire to distance himself from the issues that have occurred, or may occur, with your rig. Hopefully the warranty will put them to bed.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Bullethead

Post by Bullethead » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:56 pm

I’m still trying to figure out how to post photos so I’ll make this more difficult than it needs to be, I guess. The spacer/washer I’m talking about goes under the castle nut (not shown in your photo) that holds the wheel on the axle. It’s being missing puts a snugged castle at the absolute bottom of the axle threads. So, the cotter pin in its position on the axle was above the top of the nut. That washer’s absence is easy to spot but, I’m told, easy for a dealership rigger to overlook. 🤨 Does The sidecar wheel come attached from manufacturers?
Way Out Western NY
1977 Yamaha XS650D
2012 Genuine Stella 4T
2012 Vespa LX 150

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:12 am

On the older rigs there’s a spacer that fits on the axle before you put on the wheel... distances the hub from the bearing... it’s somewhat difficult to get out (and I’m not sure if’n the newer, 3 disc rigs even have ‘em)... if one’s supposed to be in there it’s considered a wear item and will cause the cotter pin/castle nut mating issues yer describing...

Here’s a vintage pick from the Arctic’s past...circa 2009...
F186AD21-F934-408D-8C59-76D6368841CD.jpeg
Worn spacer on the left... new on the right...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:07 am

Look at item 10 in the attached parts diagram. There is supposed to be a washer under the castle nut that holds the sidecar wheel on.

18636.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:13 am

Item 18 in attached parts diagram is the distance bushing(IMZ-8.107-05520) that everyone else posted about. It slides on the sidecar axle and fits inside the splined hub. The wheel has to be removed and you look down inside the splined hub to see it. If there's lots of grease it is hard to see if its in there and you have to use a pick to get it out.

Might be a good idea to check if yours in in there as well.

18600.jpg
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:45 am

Short answer from me is nothing probably got hurt.

Longer answer/story. When I bought my 2010 used I was checking it out and observed the castle nut was like yours, a few threads from the cotter pin hole. The wheel didn't have any play but I couldn't figure out why it would be designed like that. I made a spacer based on a quick couple of quick measurements and installed it. Then I ordered the correct spacer as I wanted to see if I was on the right track with my shop built spacer sizes. When the Ural spacer arrived I measured it and found I was about 0.007" thinner than the OEM part. I never did install the Ural spacer since what I had was doing the job.

The wheel bearing perload is done with the wheel off the machine using an axle and spacers to get the correct preload. I made the tool and the bearing preload was correct. I have also since made the tool for the front wheel bearing preload check and corrected the preload on my front wheel.

My guess is on your machine having corrected the missing part you will never be able to tell if its missing causes premature failure or wear.

If I was in your situation I would be asking for the mechanic who fixed the issue on any more service encounters and establish a relationship with the shop and that mechanic. Additionally, after you've used the machine for another week or two (couple of hundred miles or so) it could go far if you returned to the shop and let the mechanic know all was well with the machine and thank him for the good work. If the shop isn't nearby a quick phone call will work too. If you aren't a poverty rider it never hurts to slip the mechanic a tip as you tell them you appreciate good honest work when you pick up the machine.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Bullethead

Post by Bullethead » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:49 pm

Thanks all. By the way, great advice about making a friend of a good mechanic, Jeff. They’re getting too hard to find.
Way Out Western NY
1977 Yamaha XS650D
2012 Genuine Stella 4T
2012 Vespa LX 150

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:18 pm

S 854 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:12 am
On the older rigs there’s a spacer that fits on the axle before you put on the wheel... distances the hub from the bearing... it’s somewhat difficult to get out (and I’m not sure if’n the newer, 3 disc rigs even have ‘em)... if one’s supposed to be in there it’s considered a wear item and will cause the cotter pin/castle nut mating issues yer describing...

Here’s a vintage pick from the Arctic’s past...circa 2009...

F186AD21-F934-408D-8C59-76D6368841CD.jpeg

Worn spacer on the left... new on the right...
Amazing how much wear goes on. 2018 still uses this spacer. Mine was put on the wrong side and some parts were damaged. Warantee covered parts replaced. 🎃
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"