Start Gremlin 18 GU

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
roberd42
Comrade
Comrade

Start Gremlin 18 GU

Post by roberd42 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:23 am

Hey guys, still working the bugs out of this 2018
GU I purchased a couple weeks ago. I have an infrequent start issue, it has done this twice so far, usually the first start of the day after it sat overnight.

Flip on the key, flip the kill to run, fuel pump pumping, neutral light on, hit the starter button - the lights go out and I hear a relay click but the starter motor doesn’t turn. Cycle the ign and kill switch, same result, lights blink out, relay click, no starter motor. I open the fuse box and pull/check all the fuses are good, check the two fuses by the battery are good, then it cranks right up no problem.

It’s a gremlin that I haven’t been able reliably replicate the failure to try and diagnose it. I guess if it does it again, I’ll check/pull fuses one at a time and check it for start to try to narrow it down. Anyone ever run into something like this?

On my Buells the starter circuit runs through the key switch, and I know there’s a recall out on the switch for the 2018 GU, I doubt that has been done.
2018 Ural Gear Up
1985 Kawasaki 750 Turbo
1995 Buell S2 Thunderbolt
1998 Buell S1W White Lightning x2
2008 Buell 1125R

Ironhand
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Start Gremlin 18 GU

Post by Ironhand » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:29 am

That sounds like a classic bad ground to me. I'd start by verifying that the battery connections are clean and tight.
2015 Ural Gear Up
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2008 Honda XR650L
2003 Yamaha FZ1

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. —Mark Twain

roberd42
Comrade
Comrade

Post by roberd42 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:53 am

New battery, good tight connections. I’ll see if it happens again I guess.
2018 Ural Gear Up
1985 Kawasaki 750 Turbo
2008 Buell 1125R

Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Lofty » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:13 am

Check the grounds, as mentioned.

Verify if the ignition switch has been replaced via the recall. If not, do so.

There's a small female disconnect that attaches to a lug on the starter solenoid. If the disconnect fits loosely, it will eventually work its way off, leading to a no-start situation quite similar to what you describe. Check this disconnect for a snug fit.

Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

rivers

Post by rivers » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:16 pm

roberd42 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:53 am
New battery, good tight connections. I’ll see if it happens again I guess.
Both ends? Don't overlook the neg battery cable end where it grounds at the trans or eng block. Just tight can be a false sense of security. Needs to be "clean" and tight for a good ground. Remove the cable end and check for corrosion and shine it and the mounting surface up with some emery cloth. Especially common issue if you live/ride in winter where the roads are salted. Parts houses love dirty grounds. They get to sell lots of unneeded elect parts. :(
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

heindlengineeringural
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by heindlengineeringural » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:26 pm

Could be a sticking starter if is had been sitting prior to you getting it. If you are getting power to the starter when you hit the switch, tap the starter with a soft hammer while holding the starter button down. If it starts to crank when smacked, the starter is the issue.
Heindl Engineering, LLC
Ural Dealer in Southwest Ohio
(937) 787-3686
www.heindlengineering.com
sales@heindlengineering.com

roberd42
Comrade
Comrade

Post by roberd42 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:56 pm

All good suggestions. Thank you! I will check the leads and buff the ground strap. I’ll try the starter bump if it does it again.

Reminds me of an old Beechcraft KingAir F90 I flew that had a faulty starter, that I’d have to occasionally whack with a broom handle to get the armature to rotate out of the dead spot. Passengers didn’t like seeing the pilot whacking the engine with a stick haha! Eventually it got enough of a dead spot that i couldn’t get enough rotation on the turbine to start it and it was replaced, leaving me stranded in Jackson, MS for two days.
2018 Ural Gear Up
1985 Kawasaki 750 Turbo
2008 Buell 1125R

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:46 pm

Just another thought – there are 3 (THREE) relays involved with starting, they're under the seat plate between the side panels. On the last camping trip, mine didn't want to restart after every time I stopped, except once when I stopped for gas. Note it's always done this ever since I first got it (brand new!) but only very rarely, so like for months in between it'd be OK. But I'd always threatened that if there's much more of it, I'm gonna "redesign" the harness so there's only 1 actual starter relay. Well on that particular day for the trip up to Yorkshire it was really taking the p!ss. So I did the mod on the camp site, just a couple of bits of wire and 3 off 6mm blades (I carry such spares) to replace what relays #1 & #2 do. All the relay sockets were very loose. Can't really tell pulling and pushing a whole relay, but a single blade, very noticeable! I used a penknife blade to insert down the backs of the female connectors in the socket and twist to squash them up a bit. The problem has not yet reccurred. (But if that failed, the next step was check the multiway plug block for the right handlebar switch cluster.)

Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:29 pm

It could also be contamination on the solenoid contacts. If you hear a very audible click near the starter but it doesn’t “turn over” press the starter button several times in rapid succession and that may shake the contamination off of the contacts. My 2015 had a similar issue that was contamination related, it cleared up on its own.
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
2002 Ural solo bobber/chopper (work in progress) “Symphony of Destruction”
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)