Found yet another dealer mistake, wrong plugs and gap not set

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
MountainPeakCruiser
Comrade
Comrade

Found yet another dealer mistake, wrong plugs and gap not set

Post by MountainPeakCruiser » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:39 pm

I bought my 2017 GearUp with very low miles (200mi) from from a local dealership. It had been purchased from that dealership and had been traded back to that dealer less than 2 years later; every bit of assembly and maintenance on this bike had been handled by this dealer before I bought it.

So, I keep finding mistakes made on the bike. The latest were the NGK plugs, one step colder (BPR7HS) versus the manufacturer recommended BPR6HS plugs. I had been playing around with the EJK tuner and couldn’t pin down a an intermittent hesitation issue, until I went to check the color of the plugs. That’s when I found the wrong plugs and that they had never been properly gapped, less than .025 versus the recommended .04 gap.

And Tada! That little annoying bit of hesitation I had left after installing an exhaust, K&N filter, and EJK tuner is finally gone!!

Leave it to a sh!t dealership to do some bone-headed maintenance and create unnecessary issues. I hate having to undo other people’s shoddy work.

I’m speaking of Strictly Powersports in Pueblo West, CO.
Colorado Springs :devildog:
2017 Gear Up, Terra-cotta orange
Full LED light conversion w/ Hella headlamp&spotlight.
EJK tuner w/ K&N filter. Full GPR 2-into-1 stainless exhaust. ClearBra to protect cheap but sparkly Russian paint.

Trumpetwasher
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Found yet another dealer mistake, wrong plugs and gap not set

Post by Trumpetwasher » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:47 pm

Two of the reasons I run E3.32 plugs. Factory gapped and covers both heat ranges.
2016 cT Flat Black Custom (Black Tractor)
Black Power Train
3.89 Final Drive
Reverse Hand Shift
Sidecar Power Panel
Handlebar Power Outlet
Light Tint Aviation Grade Windscreens
Deluxe Seating
Sidecar Side Panels
Armrests
Double-Spring Saddle
Santamaria Foot Rest
Custom Nose Art
Dietz Sidecar Headlight (Night Blaster 5000)
Dnepr Leg Shields
XMT-MOTO Hand Guards
All LED lights.

MountainPeakCruiser
Comrade
Comrade

Post by MountainPeakCruiser » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:52 pm

Trumpetwasher wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:47 pm
Two of the reasons I run E3.32 plugs. Factory gapped and covers both heat ranges.
I’m not familiar with E3 plugs.
EJK tuner w/ K&N filter. Full GPR 2-into-1 stainless exhaust. ClearBra to protect cheap but sparkly Russian paint.

Trumpetwasher

Post by Trumpetwasher » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:53 pm

2016 cT Flat Black Custom (Black Tractor)
Black Power Train
3.89 Final Drive
Reverse Hand Shift
Sidecar Power Panel
Handlebar Power Outlet
Light Tint Aviation Grade Windscreens
Deluxe Seating
Sidecar Side Panels
Armrests
Double-Spring Saddle
Santamaria Foot Rest
Custom Nose Art
Dietz Sidecar Headlight (Night Blaster 5000)
Dnepr Leg Shields
XMT-MOTO Hand Guards
All LED lights.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:45 pm

MountainPeakCruiser wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:39 pm
I bought my 2017 GearUp with very low miles (200mi) from from a local dealership.
So, I keep finding mistakes made on the bike.
The latest were the NGK plugs, one step colder (BPR7HS) versus the manufacturer recommended BPR6HS plugs.
Your post jogged my memory, so I reviewed my maintenance spreadsheet.

The spark plugs installed on my 2018 Gear Up, presumably at the factory in Russia, were NGK BP7HS. They were replaced at 6,xxx miles with two NGK BPR7HS spark plugs, these being the precise designation illustrated in the Owner's Manual. Resistor versus the non-resistor originals. I noticed no difference in the engine's performance, nor did I expect it.

The spark plug designation for the 2017 Gear Up, as noted on p. 1-4 of the Owner's Manual, is also NGK BPR7HS. Where are you reading that the factory recommendation is for the BPR6HS plug?

It also seems that unless your addition of a freer-breathing intake and exhaust was in perfect sync (tune) with the EJK tuner, that it at least contributed to the imperfect fueling, which usually manifests itself as hesitation. In isolation, that is one of the exact conditions that FI tuners like the EJK fitment are intended to solve.

Certainly, I'd expect the dealer to confirm that both spark plugs were properly gapped, during his pre-sale inspection process. I'm not sure that I'd expect him to examine the model designation of each plug, though. It's reasonable to expect that the factory would at least get that right...and per the 2017 Owner's Manual, it seems that they did so.

Your thoughts?
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:17 pm

My 2015 manual specifies "sixes", but I believe I'm running "sevens". (Can't remember)

2019-09-25 14.15.01.png

... but we all know how "accurate" Ural owner's manuals are. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:19 pm

Lofty wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:45 pm
MountainPeakCruiser wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:39 pm
I bought my 2017 GearUp with very low miles (200mi) from from a local dealership.
So, I keep finding mistakes made on the bike.
The latest were the NGK plugs, one step colder (BPR7HS) versus the manufacturer recommended BPR6HS plugs.

The spark plugs installed on my 2018 Gear Up, presumably at the factory in Russia, were NGK BP7HS. They were replaced at 6,xxx miles with two NGK BPR7HS spark plugs, these being the precise designation illustrated in the Owner's Manual. Resistor versus the non-resistor originals. I noticed no difference in the engine's performance, nor did I expect it.

The spark plug designation for the 2017 Gear Up, as noted on p. 1-4 of the Owner's Manual, is also NGK BPR7HS. Where are you reading that the factory recommendation is for the BPR6HS plug?

Your thoughts?

Interestingly, 2014 - 2016 manuals spec the NGK BPR6HS plug, but the 2017-2018 manual the NGK BPR7HS.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

MountainPeakCruiser
Comrade
Comrade

Post by MountainPeakCruiser » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:28 pm

Lofty wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:45 pm

It also seems that unless your addition of a freer-breathing intake and exhaust was in perfect sync (tune) with the EJK tuner, that it at least contributed to the imperfect fueling, which usually manifests itself as hesitation. In isolation, that is one of the exact conditions that FI tuners like the EJK fitment are intended to solve.

Certainly, I'd expect the dealer to confirm that both spark plugs were properly gapped, during his pre-sale inspection process. I'm not sure that I'd expect him to examine the model designation of each plug, though. It's reasonable to expect that the factory would at least get that right...and per the 2017 Owner's Manual, it seems that they did so.

Your thoughts?
I left out the part where I properly gapped the BPR7HS plugs and that fixed the hesitation, then proceeded to install properly gapped BPR6HS plugs with an identical result. It was the improper gap, and it was an intermittent issue, more prevalent when the bike was cold. If I have a choice between plugs I don’t mind running the hotter of the two (BPR6HS) because it’s a low compression engine and pre-detonation is not a concern. As for where I got BPR6HS as manufacturer recommended, it was actually in my manual and here too on the frame (see pic):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Eric N » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:04 pm

Back in 2016, just before buying my 2001 Patrol, I went down to Hymark (aka Strictly Powersports) to talk to them about Urals. The sales person didn't know much, and their maintenance person told me if it was pre 2007 it would be impossible for them to fix. It really came across as a "we just carry this brand to sell Indians, we don't really know anything about it".

Randy with Unique in Loveland is very good, knows his stuff.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

MountainPeakCruiser
Comrade
Comrade

Post by MountainPeakCruiser » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:44 pm

Eric N wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:04 pm

Randy with Unique in Loveland is very good, knows his stuff.
You’re not the first person that has recommended that shop.