Kendon trailer towing issue

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
wrong_turn_rider
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Kendon trailer towing issue

Post by wrong_turn_rider » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Backing the Ural onto the Kendon would increase the tongue weight. I have a Kendon and have trailered 2 bikes thousands of miles back and forth across the country with several different vehicles without a glitch. Never tried to put the Ural on one but was advised to back it on if I did. The spare being underneath is a pain and I have drug it several times and simply strap it flat down on the trailer now.

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:54 pm

Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:15 pm

Another thing to consider is the trailer tongue angle.
You want the trailer tongue to be as close to level as possible.
If it is angled up/down, there is a tendency for the trailer to "seesaw" and sway the rear end of the vehicle.
You should use a tow bar with the required rise/drop to make things as level as possible.

Even with my full-sized E150 van, going from the stock bumper with a ball on it to a pick-up style bumper with a 2" receiver tube slung under brought the tongue angle down and made it handle MUCH better.

Also when it comes to towing with a car, I like to stay WELL UNDER the max tow weight.
A Ural weighs 750 dry and empty, a dual Kendon 420 so you are correct, with fuel, tools and farkles, you are pushing 1300.
Add a few pounds to the trunk of the car and some passengers to the equation and handling will suffer.

I've towed the Ural with a 2010 Subaru Forester and currenty have a 2016 CX9 so similar kinds of vehicles but a little bigger.

The CX9 is rated to 3500 for towing but I consider my 575lb 10' Aluma with about 1500lbs of bags gravel/concrete on it to be the max (2000-2100lbs).
The 1400/1500 combined Ural/trailer/gear weight is about ideal.
I wouldn't dream of towing anywhere near 3500lbs with it.
SUV/CUV type cars are designed for sport and handling, towing is an afterthought.
The independent rear suspension of these vehicles are just not suited for towing and can't handle the extra dynamic of towed weight very well.

I never like to add unnecessary weight to a vehicle to improve handling, adding shot seems like a band-aid, not a true fix.
My spare mounts forward of the axle so it adds to tongue weight.
Try to get anything that you can further forward, ramps, spare tire, gas can, etc to increase tongue weight without adding overall weight to the set-up.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:18 pm

Also Black_Magic, those videos are PERFECT, never saw them before!
Definitely a case of a pic/video = 1000 words.