Recommendations for mechanic in Seattle?

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Post Reply
dale914
Comrade
Comrade
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:19 pm
Location: Seattle Washington

Recommendations for mechanic in Seattle?

Post by dale914 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:46 pm

I stopped by the Ural office in Redmond today, and they couldn't have been nicer. They were great people. They said they'd cover my gas tank on warrantee if a mechanic couldn't fix it up since the finish shouldn't spoil on first contact with gas, and they said that most first/500 mile service jobs should cost around 150 instead of 600 as quoted from Lynwood Motoplex. They recommended that I check out Cycl Path, but they said their Ural guy left a year ago. So, I'll contact them again, but their advice was also "check with the forums on who'd they recommend, the forums are very helpful and a good community" so there you go, straight from IMZ HQ! So I'm looking for a competent, straight shooter mechanic in the Seattle area, any pointers?
Thanks guys and gals
19 Ural Gear Up
05 Triumph Rocket 3
04 Honda CBR F4i
04 Honda Shadow
00 Yamaha VMAX

User avatar
windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 7596
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:17 am
Location: Kent, Wa

Re: Recommendations for mechanic in Seattle?

Post by windmill » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:57 pm

It's not hard to do, if you want to learn how to do it, I could walk you through it.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

AndyH
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: Recommendations for mechanic in Seattle?

Post by AndyH » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:24 pm

What did they say about the absolutely JUNK gearbox?
2015 Ural EU Tourist -

User avatar
cateyetech
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:23 am
Location: 72801 Russellville Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Recommendations for mechanic in Seattle?

Post by cateyetech » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:20 pm

AndyH wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:24 pm
What did they say about the absolutely JUNK gearbox?
Hewy AH
They said you should drive a older one & check that out :lol:

:foilhead:
Charlie ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
2003 Gear-Up Ромашка Мзй
765cc - Mikuni TM33 carburetors - Modified stock airbox with Uni foam filter
2-1 exhaust - Hand worked cylinder heads - Type V ignition system
A Warn XT17 witch that works from any angle - More handmade parts than I can list :foilhead:

The only Ural to post a second gear wheelie :evil:

2000 Patrol Teh Урал
Thanks DaveO, I'll try to ride it like you, I'll try :foilhead:

dale914
Comrade
Comrade
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:19 pm
Location: Seattle Washington

Re: Recommendations for mechanic in Seattle?

Post by dale914 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:56 pm

AndyH wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:24 pm
What did they say about the absolutely JUNK gearbox?
They said they are often like that when new and usually get better by 1,600 miles, but to try and put it into reverse and back to forward next time, which is what I've found that works. I've also just pushed on the forward step and without feeling any movement it seems to help.
19 Ural Gear Up
05 Triumph Rocket 3
04 Honda CBR F4i
04 Honda Shadow
00 Yamaha VMAX

dale914
Comrade
Comrade
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:19 pm
Location: Seattle Washington

Re: Recommendations for mechanic in Seattle?

Post by dale914 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:00 am

windmill wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:57 pm
It's not hard to do, if you want to learn how to do it, I could walk you through it.
It all seems very straight forward, I'll need to get the geese gun adaptor, washers and gaskets and shouldbe set. I won't hesitate to send you a message of I get hung up and cry into the oil pan.
19 Ural Gear Up
05 Triumph Rocket 3
04 Honda CBR F4i
04 Honda Shadow
00 Yamaha VMAX

AndyH
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: Recommendations for mechanic in Seattle?

Post by AndyH » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:33 pm

dale914 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:56 pm
AndyH wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:24 pm
What did they say about the absolutely JUNK gearbox?
They said they are often like that when new and usually get better by 1,600 miles, but to try and put it into reverse and back to forward next time, which is what I've found that works. I've also just pushed on the forward step and without feeling any movement it seems to help.
The really interesting thing about this, and the lesson for IMWA, is that dealers who don't understand the bike are selling a commodity and not an experience. This is the best way to get horrible feedback and lose a new user base. IMWA need to nurture the new user base and they won't do that with clowns in the industry. If the sales person spent 10 minutes explaining the vagaries of the bike before Dale914 rode away, including the slightly odd gear change and the service cost, he wouldn't have posted here and might have been happily posting about what a great machine he owned.
2015 Ural EU Tourist -

dale914
Comrade
Comrade
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:19 pm
Location: Seattle Washington

Re: Recommendations for mechanic in Seattle?

Post by dale914 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:29 pm

AndyH wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:33 pm
dale914 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:56 pm
AndyH wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:24 pm
What did they say about the absolutely JUNK gearbox?
They said they are often like that when new and usually get better by 1,600 miles, but to try and put it into reverse and back to forward next time, which is what I've found that works. I've also just pushed on the forward step and without feeling any movement it seems to help.
The really interesting thing about this, and the lesson for IMWA, is that dealers who don't understand the bike are selling a commodity and not an experience. This is the best way to get horrible feedback and lose a new user base. IMWA need to nurture the new user base and they won't do that with clowns in the industry. If the sales person spent 10 minutes explaining the vagaries of the bike before Dale914 rode away, including the slightly odd gear change and the service cost, he wouldn't have posted here and might have been happily posting about what a great machine he owned.
And that's feedback that I gave them and they understood, they said "yes we have some big box stores that push products and don't care about customers and some that care so much that are developing like we are"
Sounds like they are a small company with a dozen or so ( I counted 7) employees in the US pushing barely more than a thousand units a year here, Europe and domestic Russia where the bikes cost almost twice what Russian SUVs and sedans cost, down 99% productive from 20 years ago. "They are what they are" as you may be trying to convey to me, but how can a dozen people manage all of the dealers throughout the works that put out a few bikes each? They have a dealer in Idaho Falls, both parties could be amazing, but a dealer in a town of 60k people making 30k GDP, that's their reality, they aren't Harley. I get it, they get it, we get it.
19 Ural Gear Up
05 Triumph Rocket 3
04 Honda CBR F4i
04 Honda Shadow
00 Yamaha VMAX

stickerbush
New Member
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:49 am
Location: Vashon, WA

Re: Recommendations for mechanic in Seattle?

Post by stickerbush » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:48 am

dale914 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:46 pm
So I'm looking for a competent, straight shooter mechanic in the Seattle area, any pointers?
dale914, were you ever able to locate someone to service your rig? Have you tried Vallantine Motor Works? They specialize in BMWs but service all makes of motorcycles. I can vouch that they are good, honest mechanics but don't know how much if any experience they have with Urals.

User avatar
Claus
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Recommendations for mechanic in Seattle?

Post by Claus » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:58 am

cateyetech wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:20 pm
AndyH wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:24 pm
What did they say about the absolutely JUNK gearbox?
Hewy AH
They said you should drive a older one & check that out :lol:

:foilhead:
Honestly speaking, the 2017 and 2018 Ural gearboxes are the best Ural gearboxes I have ever used. They have so much improved since ,say 2007 0r 2008, it´s unbelievable. Shifts like you´re on a real motor cycle. :mrgreen:
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 9558
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: 48*N, 122*W

Re: Recommendations for mechanic in Seattle?

Post by rivers » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:36 pm

Not in Seattle but one of the oldest established Ural dealers is UralNW up in Ferndale. Haven't heard much about them in a couple years but they used to know Urals really well. They changed their name and their major line is now BMW with Ural a secondary line so don't know how much of their old crew is still around. They used to have a stellar reputation and a google search for UralNW will get you there.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Marine Corps Codu
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:05 pm
Location: Camano Island, WA

Re: Recommendations for mechanic in Seattle?

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:19 pm

I used Ural NW in Ferndale for my 2nd service and some adjustment/warranty issues. Nice people. I took in 3 days ahead of my scheduled appointment as they said they might be able to fit it in early. 11 days later finally got it back. While I was disappointed with the delay they did good work. It DOES seem that Urals are their secondary brand, hence not their top priority. But MUCH less expensive than Lynnwood MotoPlex. Just my humble opinion.
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1947 Cushman Motor Scooter
1958 Cushman Motor Scooter
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ100
1960 Honda 55 (2 of them)
2002 Honda Gold Wing
2006 Ural Patrol
2005 BMW GS1200
2018 Ural Gear Up

Post Reply