Battery and Starter issue

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
MikeonaBike
Comrade
Comrade

Post by MikeonaBike » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:38 am

I'm posting this here so that others may benefit from my frustrations:

About a month ago, I was able to start my 2014 GU at home, but it wouldn't start at a friends house a few miles away. Once it was jump started, it would still stall at idle unless throttle was applied.

After a trickle charge, there was no problem starting.

I decided it was time to replace the battery, which I did, but even with the new charged battery, it wouldn't start.

triggering the start wire (hot wiring) would start it, so the starter is good. The starter fuses were good, but there was no response from the start button on the handlebars.

Turns out the relay connections were bad and once crimped with needle nose pliers, the bike starts every time. So the lesson is to check the starter relay (under the seat)

Happy Uraling
2014 Gear Up
“If you wish to go fast, go alone. 
If you wish to go far, go together.” – African proverb

Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Battery and Starter issue

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:17 am

And there's 3 of the effing things and they are all involved with starting in one way or another. So there's 3 chances of having one go t!ts up and preventing you using the electric starter. :o

Yes I've had my connectors off and back on a couple of times to make sure the contacts are OK and treated them to WD40. Been so far OK but if they start playing up I have a mildly cunning plan to replace two of the relays with wire links, leaving just the starter relay that works directly off the button.

I find it somewhat odd that there's two lock-outs for if the kill-witch is off AND engine is running, but there isn't one for neutral. Yes I've tried to start it in gear a few times (and with the parking brake on!)
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

BeJimmieHelty

Post by BeJimmieHelty » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:28 pm

I vote bad ground between battery and engine. The starter and solenoid are grounded directly to the engine block, any issue with the ground strap/fasteners can cause the symptoms you described. Blowing fuses a few weeks ago, large current could have arced causing damage to the grounding system which is just now showing up. Jumper cables between battery ground and clean engine block is a cheap easy test. Plus with the issues from few weeks ago and being 5 years old, replace the battery for good measure.

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:17 pm

I do like the fact that the starter won’t engage when the engine is running. The Ural starter button is in roughly the same spot as my Sportsters right turn signal button. lol
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
2002 Ural solo bobber/chopper (work in progress) “Symphony of Destruction”
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)

BlueRockCrawler
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:46 pm

OK, I have a similar problem, I definitely have battery voltage at the white wire when the button is triggered, voltage at the big red wire all the time, but no voltage at the blue wire going to the starter. I'm assuming from the wiring diagram that, as long as there's voltage at the white wire upon pushing the button, the relays are working OK and I should concentrate my further investigations on the solenoid onward once my frustration wanes?
2015 Ural Patrol
1993 Suzuki DR 650
2018 Suzuki DR 650
previous Honda's were
1996 750 Magna
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna