Right cylinder

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Post Reply
User avatar
Doc
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 936
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:34 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Right cylinder

Post by Doc » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:11 pm

So I noticed today that the right cylinder head looks like it is leaking gas from the gasket that mates it to the engine block and maybe from the push rod tubes as well. What could be causing this problem?

Thanks,
Doc
HMCS(DSW/SCW) USN Retired
2015 Ural Gear-Up
2003 Indian Chief
Iron Indian Riders Association
"IF YOU CAN'T DODGE IT, RAM IT"
http://s145.photobucket.com/home/satdiver00/index
Las Vegas, NV :cheers:

User avatar
Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Right cylinder

Post by Lokiboy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:12 pm

A possible cause of the oil around the base of the cylinder might be from it leaking from the rubber at the top of the push rods which are just press in. Over time they can slip a bit. Take a flat head screwdriver and gently tap as you go around the base. It might move a few millimeters. Clean the area and see if it reoccurs.

Good luck.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
80,000 km and counting

User avatar
Doc
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 936
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:34 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Right cylinder

Post by Doc » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:01 pm

Lokiboy wrote:A possible cause of the oil around the base of the cylinder might be from it leaking from the rubber at the top of the push rods which are just press in. Over time they can slip a bit. Take a flat head screwdriver and gently tap as you go around the base. It might move a few millimeters. Clean the area and see if it reoccurs.

Good luck.
Lokiboy,
I don't think its oil, it smells like gasoline, is it possible to for gas to be leaking from the right cylinder head?
HMCS(DSW/SCW) USN Retired
2015 Ural Gear-Up
2003 Indian Chief
Iron Indian Riders Association
"IF YOU CAN'T DODGE IT, RAM IT"
http://s145.photobucket.com/home/satdiver00/index
Las Vegas, NV :cheers:

User avatar
windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 6485
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:17 am
Location: Kent, Wa

Re: Right cylinder

Post by windmill » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:52 pm

Doc wrote: is it possible to for gas to be leaking from the right cylinder head?
Possible on a carb rig with a bad petcock, but not really on an efi rig. If it really is fuel, perhaps you just filled the tank a little too much and it's coming from the tank vent/overflow that exits the bottom of the tank over the right cylinder?

Otherwise it could be a leak in the fuel system, and dripping on the cylinder. Some folks have reported that the fuel filter rubs on the alternator which could potentially wear a hole in it.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

User avatar
Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Right cylinder

Post by Lokiboy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:54 am

Hey Doc, reason I focused on oil, is that gas at the base of the cylinder gas would evaporate quickly on a warm engine. I should have inquired if you see it all the time. Not owning an EFI, but looking at a friend’s 2017, there are several hoses that appear to go into a filter along the rightside of the tank. Take a piece of paper towel, etc. and touch around the hoses.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
80,000 km and counting

User avatar
Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 3351
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:22 pm
Location: Boston, UK
Contact:

Re: Right cylinder

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:45 pm

Doc wrote: Lokiboy,
I don't think its oil, it smells like gasoline, is it possible to for gas to be leaking from the right cylinder head?
Cylinder head? Not cylinder base?

Is what I read it as, but other folks seem to think it's cylinder base... :?:


-
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

User avatar
Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Right cylinder

Post by Lokiboy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Doc wrote: Lokiboy,
I don't think its oil, it smells like gasoline, is it possible to for gas to be leaking from the right cylinder head?
Cylinder head? Not cylinder base?

Is what I read it as, but other folks seem to think it's cylinder base... :?:
-
“from the gasket that mates it to the engine block”
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
80,000 km and counting

User avatar
Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 3351
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:22 pm
Location: Boston, UK
Contact:

Re: Right cylinder

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:03 pm

He wrote "right cylinder head looks like it is leaking gas"

:D

Trouble with semantics?

Clarification needed
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

User avatar
windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 6485
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:17 am
Location: Kent, Wa

Re: Right cylinder

Post by windmill » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:02 pm

From the OP,
Doc wrote:So I noticed today that the right cylinder head looks like it is leaking gas from the gasket that mates it to the engine block and maybe from the push rod tubes as well. What could be causing this problem?
Then follows up with,
Doc wrote: I don't think its oil, it smells like gasoline, is it possible to for gas to be leaking from the right cylinder head?
Does leave it up to interpretation. As worded the first is an observation of what exists, the second is a question of whats possible. Some clarification would be helpful
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 3624
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Right cylinder

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:19 pm

hi, talked to Doc this morning its where the barrel meets the block where he thinks it from, my thought was gas dribbling through a intake valve then working its way past the rings down the skirt and the cylinder to the base gasket then running out the bottom to the garage floor. (is this possible on a EFI or only a carb Ural?) :?
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

User avatar
GHGoodwin
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 4652
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:43 pm
Location: Cleve, Ohio

Re: Right cylinder

Post by GHGoodwin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:04 pm

I'd be all over the fuel lines and the tank connection tubes looking for a leaker. Don't forget that pesky hidden crossover. Check tank overflow if the tank is really full.

On an EFI rig the tank may be able to slowly drain if one of the lines comes off the injector. I beieive the injectors are "normally closed" so they shouldn't leak with the power off.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

User avatar
Doc
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 936
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:34 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Right cylinder

Post by Doc » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:26 pm

GHGoodwin wrote:I'd be all over the fuel lines and the tank connection tubes looking for a leaker. Don't forget that pesky hidden crossover. Check tank overflow if the tank is really full.

On an EFI rig the tank may be able to slowly drain if one of the lines comes off the injector. I beieive the injectors are "normally closed" so they shouldn't leak with the power off.
GHGoodwin, you were right on the money with the pesky hidden crossover line. I did ride it to the dealer and have them fix it as I was heading to the Laughlin River Run on my Indian then heading back to Iraq on Sunday, so I had no time to mess with it.

Got to give kudos to my local dealer Henderson Proshop Motorsports & Marine, their shop was booked till mid May but they got my bike in and fixed it
for me, knowing I was leaving the country again.

Oh well now I have to wait 3 months till I am able to ride the Ural or Indian again.

Thank you everyone for all your help.
Doc
HMCS(DSW/SCW) USN Retired
2015 Ural Gear-Up
2003 Indian Chief
Iron Indian Riders Association
"IF YOU CAN'T DODGE IT, RAM IT"
http://s145.photobucket.com/home/satdiver00/index
Las Vegas, NV :cheers:

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 3624
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Right cylinder

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:49 pm

Doc wrote:
GHGoodwin wrote:I'd be all over the fuel lines and the tank connection tubes looking for a leaker. Don't forget that pesky hidden crossover. Check tank overflow if the tank is really full.

On an EFI rig the tank may be able to slowly drain if one of the lines comes off the injector. I beieive the injectors are "normally closed" so they shouldn't leak with the power off.
GHGoodwin, you were right on the money with the pesky hidden crossover line. I did ride it to the dealer and have them fix it as I was heading to the Laughlin River Run on my Indian then heading back to Iraq on Sunday, so I had no time to mess with it.

Got to give kudos to my local dealer Henderson Proshop Motorsports & Marine, their shop was booked till mid May but they got my bike in and fixed it
for me, knowing I was leaving the country again.

Oh well now I have to wait 3 months till I am able to ride the Ural or Indian again.

Thank you everyone for all your help.
Doc
Glad you got it fixed, had to be a fuel line or something with gas as the areas that you described might leak oil, but that's all, +1 on Matt and Jon at pro-shop in Henderson, see you when you return stay safe Hot flash 44 :cheers:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Post Reply