Speedo and odometer inop

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Nasepres
Comrade
Comrade

Speedo and odometer inop

Post by Nasepres » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:26 pm

Well during this cold weather we had here in north Georgia I did not put the battery tender on my 2017 GU, of course the battery died. I hooked up the tender and let it charge. Once the battery had some life I fired her off and took off down the road. Well shoot the speedometer does not work and the odometer has ‘ural’ spelled out but no readings. I read the good book but it does say anything about this. I tried holding down both buttons to do some kind of reset but it just looks at me and says, ‘ural’. I remember the name of the rig but I would like to know how many KM I have gone. I’m really not worried about how fast I’m going I mean if I get a speeding ticket on this thing hell I would be proud ! I know it’s electronic and before I call the good folks at Blue Moon where I bought it I want to make sure it’s not some secret code Ivan has installed to mess with me. Does anyone have a clue?
2007 Yamaha R1, wife gave it to me for Christmas December 2007... nope she does not have a sister !
2017 GU...

Eric N
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Speedo and odometer inop

Post by Eric N » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:02 pm

The speedometer is made by Acewell. Their instructions to reset everything are at http://www.acewell-meter.co.uk/manuals/ACE-CA85-EN.pdf
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Subsnowden » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:08 pm

it’s still running though. Sounds fine to me lol. Or maybe it’s Putin interfering
Jon
Nomad
2015 Ural Gear Up

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:31 pm

I would suggest disconnecting the battery for at least 30 seconds. If that doesn't work you'll probably have to take it to the dealer. It's possible that bringing the battery voltage up slowly "confused" it.
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
2002 Ural solo bobber/chopper (work in progress) “Symphony of Destruction”
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)

Nasepres
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Nasepres » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:08 pm

I will try disconnecting the battery that’s easy enough. It does run, I don’t need the speedometer cause it ain’t very fast, I could just guess at how far I have been and write it down in a log book, if I can remember to do that. I might call the dealer and ask them. I don’t know a lot to think about, to many decisions to make, perhaps someone will chime in and give me an easy fix, probably not but I can dream !
2007 Yamaha R1, wife gave it to me for Christmas December 2007... nope she does not have a sister !
2017 GU...

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:35 pm

The battery disconnect trick has helped several people. I do know there is a new speedometer setup procedure that the dealers do if they replace the speedometer. They can set the odometer to match the bikes actual mileage. I don't know the procedure though, Heindls did it on my bike after my original speedometer took on water after riding in the rain. When you find out anything please add the information to the following thread.

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... 23&t=49290
2017 cT "Woody Moose"

windmill

Post by windmill » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:59 am

Burt1713 wrote:The battery disconnect trick has helped several people. I do know there is a new speedometer setup procedure that the dealers do if they replace the speedometer. They can set the odometer to match the bikes actual mileage. I don't know the procedure though, Heindls did it on my bike after my original speedometer took on water after riding in the rain. When you find out anything please add the information to the following thread.

Well one thing hasn't changed with the new speedo, it fogs up in our lovely Seattle weather just like the old one on my Patrol, and most other bikes I have owned.
Fortunately the bezel just screws off so the lens can be removed if need be.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:26 am

windmill wrote:
Burt1713 wrote:The battery disconnect trick has helped several people. I do know there is a new speedometer setup procedure that the dealers do if they replace the speedometer. They can set the odometer to match the bikes actual mileage. I don't know the procedure though, Heindls did it on my bike after my original speedometer took on water after riding in the rain. When you find out anything please add the information to the following thread.

Well one thing hasn't changed with the new speedo, it fogs up in our lovely Seattle weather just like the old one on my Patrol, and most other bikes I have owned.
I think the lens is supposed to be sealed, mine wasn't and that is how the water got in. My speedometer had so much water in it that it quit functioning.
2017 cT "Woody Moose"

windmill

Post by windmill » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:17 am

Burt1713 wrote:
windmill wrote:

I think the lens is supposed to be sealed, mine wasn't and that is how the water got in. My speedometer had so much water in it that it quit functioning.
There's an O ring under the lens, if the bezel is loose it would let water in.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:08 pm

Nasepres wrote:I will try disconnecting the battery that’s easy enough. It does run, I don’t need the speedometer cause it ain’t very fast, I could just guess at how far I have been and write it down in a log book, if I can remember to do that. I might call the dealer and ask them. I don’t know a lot to think about, to many decisions to make, perhaps someone will chime in and give me an easy fix, probably not but I can dream !
Any new information on your speedometer issue?
2017 cT "Woody Moose"

Nasepres
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Nasepres » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:28 am

I unplugged the positive post for a couple minutes and connected back and it worked. Thank you very much. You are my hero, now I won’t get s speeding ticket...haga
2017 GU...

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:06 pm

Nasepres wrote:I unplugged the positive post for a couple minutes and connected back and it worked. Thank you very much. You are my hero, now I won’t get s speeding ticket...haga
Glad to be of assistance.
2017 cT "Woody Moose"