Yikes - First Valve Check & Adjustment

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Draeger
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Yikes - First Valve Check & Adjustment

Post by Draeger » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:28 am

{{UPDATE}}

Fellas,

I took everyone's advice into account, headed back to the garage after letting the bike sit COLD for half a day.

Took off the left cover and the valves were VERY loose, like a couple of millimeters :o The right side had one somewhat loose and the other perfect.

I did exactly what you all said:

Loosened the lock nuts, and turned the adjuster nut with a finger as the feeler gauge was held in and hanging down. Then I tightened up the lock nut by hand. Then I switched to a wrench on the adjuster and snugged up the lock nut with the wrench. The feeler fell out on some of them, and they all held close to .004 doing it this way.

Took me 1/4 the time I took last time. I think it took more time to clean the oil off the valve cover surface and w@$# the silicone gaskets with soapy water than it did to actually do the adjusting.

After doing the left side I did the right, put it all together and it is MUCH QUIETER!!!! :boogie:

I feel so much better, and glad I only rode it for a few miles with the clacky superloose valves. But I guess, as someone said "no harm" (hope that's true)

Thank you all very much for the help!
Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
2021 Slate Grey Gear Up

2015 Yamaha Stryker
2019 Yamaha WR250R

BearMcPear
Comrade
Comrade

Post by BearMcPear » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:11 am

Yay I am glad it went so much better the second time. :)
Somewhat dreading when I put the engine back together and have to do it myself hah.
Dnepr MT11 '89 and a Honda CBF600 '05

RC20
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by RC20 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:58 pm

Good deal on the work and you would have to be way way way out to cause an issue. Sans tripple those adjust values (or more) worst you do is mess with the timing a bit. That really only affects emissions,

I do not claim to be more than an average valve adjuster.

Some years back I was sent on a mission to Oakland FedEx to deal with maint issues on their backup generators. Cat was having union strike and what came out of the factory valve and injection setting was awful.

One of the guys at the Oakland facility assigned to help me had never done valves before, he wanted to learn, we had time and I liked teaching others, so away we went. He was far better at it than I was. He had that touch. He did 80% if the valve adjustments. Happy to let him have the glory, he deserved it.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

cdscoot
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2021
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2021
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Post by cdscoot » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:48 pm

What i did on my 2021 to make the whole process faster and easier was to get some fluorescent orange paint and the milling in the flywheel just before the timing mark I put 2 dots. The surface with the timing mark I put one. This way you have a warning that the timing mark is coming up. Makes it so much better than havoing to go all around again when you miss it!
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T -Gone!
2016 BMW R1200GS
2021 gear up - weekender poppy special order.

Draeger
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Draeger » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:00 am

cdscoot wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:48 pm
What i did on my 2021 to make the whole process faster and easier was to get some fluorescent orange paint and the milling in the flywheel just before the timing mark I put 2 dots. The surface with the timing mark I put one. This way you have a warning that the timing mark is coming up. Makes it so much better than havoing to go all around again when you miss it!
Not a bad idea!
Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
2021 Slate Grey Gear Up

2015 Yamaha Stryker
2019 Yamaha WR250R

RC20
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by RC20 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:04 pm

Yea I like it. I marked the mark in red but it does sneak up on you.

One clue I got was to look for the long slot as you come up on the timing mark. Put some paint in that and ......
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems