2015 CT Dark Force wont stay running

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
nitrogary

2015 CT Dark Force wont stay running

Post by nitrogary » Wed May 12, 2021 12:11 am

im new here folks and hoping for some help. Our 2015 CT ran fine this last winter...it has sat idle on a tender since then. last week tried a bunch of times to start it and it fires up a few times then dies. it has 5k on the odometer and i went ahead and changed the oil and filter and the plugs just for shits n giggles. came back to it later and it still kinda fires up then slowly poops out over the course of 5 seconds. i have cut those godforsaken stainless steel band clamps off the throttle bodies and drained all the gas. of note was that the fuel kinda dribbles out the right side and the left side had decent flow.
the rt side fuel feed stopped draining a few minutes before the left side emptied out. put fresher premium in thee tank and zip tied the fuel hoses onto the throttle bodies for the moment. ill pick up some band clamps for them tomorrow. was seriously hoping it would stay running but nope, it fired off then petered out. i shot it with some carb cleaner into the air box but that didnt seem to make a difference either.

your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Gary

Geno89074
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: 2015 CT Dark Force wont stay running

Post by Geno89074 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:29 am

I have a 2014 Patrol - same electrojet fuel system

1st thing I would try: disconnect the fuel line on the left side of the fuel pump. Have a container and rags ready. a short piece of silicone or brake bleeder hose will help direct the stream of gas into your container. This - by the way - is a good way to drain the tank should the need arise.
It is also how the fuel system is primed if you run out of gas or let it sit a long time.
when you turn the key on with a charged battery engine not running kill switch on the line from the pump should pee a steady pretty forceful stream

If it does not you can go through most of the fuel system with the tank on the bike

check/clean the little screen inside the elbow on the right side that looks like a petcock outlet. There are little seals in there. My screen was full of gunk. Also, replace fuel filter. Napa has a good one which i used same size as ural oem.

After those 2 steps go back to step one. See how the fuel flow is key on/engine off kill switch on. Should be steady flow, no bubbles after a few seconds

I hope this remedies it. Further fuel issues could be pump related. I replaced my pump with a new oem one from Heindl Engineering.

if you rule out the fuel system I would start elsewhere: Take the plugs out, do a compression test with the air tubes off the throttle bodies and throttle held open. If compression is good and in spec leave the gauge on there for 5 or 10 minutes see how much pressure leaks down.
You could also replace plugs, check valve lash...just systematically work through from the most basic.

These are very easy bikes to work on but sometimes mine has been hard to diagnose when issues arose.
Great minds on this forum have helped me: just post up what you have done and the results and I am sure you'll be back on the road in no time.

Best of Luck.

If you place your general location in your signature line there maybe near by assistance for you.
2014 Ural Patrol
Green Valley
Henderson, Nevada

Donbmw

Post by Donbmw » Wed May 12, 2021 11:32 am

I have had a inline fuel filter stopped up and shut me down on the road on e time. Fuel from pump would flow but not a strong as is should have been.
2015 Patrol, 1980 R65, 1982 R65 bought new, 1975 R 90/6, 1959TR3 Triumph

Don

nitrogary

Post by nitrogary » Thu May 13, 2021 12:38 am

thanks for help guys. So I drained the fuel and refilled as recommended then posted up here. at first nothing changed. just a few seconds of running then petered out. before i left for work this morning i just had to give it another try...cranked over a bunch and finally started,,,AND stayed running although just on the verge of dying. after a minute of loping along i gave it some throttle pressure just enough to raise the idle a bit without killing it. my god these things are cold blooded.
after another minute she finally got going. i was able to finally give it throttle and and she was purring along. at that point i shut her down and went to work. i got home today and went out and she struggled a bit to fire up but ran much more easily than this morning. im thinking even the fuel i used yesterday to add to the tank i probably 6 month old , although its premium at least. i still haven't replaced the band clamps on the throttle bodies so i may just get some absolutely fresh gas this weekend and replace it again and see how things go...OR we may likely take her out for a long ride and just use it up and refill at the gas station.

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Thu May 13, 2021 7:12 am

8B57F27F-0393-4534-8F3E-8AE6C3A66F17.jpeg
I’m not much for the “tune-up in a can” thing... Seafoam is one of a few additives I’ve had success with...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Thu May 13, 2021 9:42 am

++++1 on Seafoam or ride that darn bike/rig (at least a little bit) which is better than any additive... just don't let the fuel sit.
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

Donbmw

Post by Donbmw » Thu May 13, 2021 10:43 am

Sounds like your idle speed may be low. Needs to be above 1050 when warm. I keep mine sent around 1100.
2015 Patrol, 1980 R65, 1982 R65 bought new, 1975 R 90/6, 1959TR3 Triumph

Don

Ironhand
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Ironhand » Thu May 13, 2021 3:51 pm

I agree with the above...dose the fuel tank with Sea Foam and take her out for a ride.
2015 Ural Gear Up
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. —Mark Twain

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Thu May 13, 2021 6:14 pm

Clean the fuel system in whole, in tank filter screen, and anything is attached to it.
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMD-3)
38 idle/130 main/ 1.5 shim (0.80mm washer)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rest is just history... 4 previous Urals with telescopic front ends, BMW airheads, bigger Hondas, bigger sidecars...

nitrogary

Post by nitrogary » Sun May 16, 2021 8:46 pm

thanks everyone for the help....rode her for a bit Friday evening, 20 miles on Saturday and this morning she fired right up and stayed idling without dying. took her for a 1 hour ride and all was great. i know my battery is 6 years old now and ive been trickle charging it but its testing bad so id like to just replace it...it still starts the engine but im going to replace it now rather than when it leaves me in a pinch. do folks around her have a favorite battery to put in these ?

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun May 16, 2021 9:34 pm

I have had good luck with the battery Interstate carries, Yuasa I believe.

As for fuel, it has all the indications of stale or the fuel pump was erratic.

If you have deteriorated fuel, you need to get it flushed, there are no additives that will bring it back. Sea foam will help maintain it.

Normally gas does not go bad in a short time but you have some pretty serious temperatures in that area (it was 95 deg F when I picked my cT up from Portland Ural and I thought I was going to die)
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems