Valve Cover Gaskets?

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
KansasCityLoser
Comrade
Comrade

Valve Cover Gaskets?

Post by KansasCityLoser » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:21 pm

Newbie here. Please no mocking.

2016 patrol, no issues, just hit 3k kilometers, Ive been doing oil changes per the owners manual at 500, 1000, and I did an extra one at 2000 even though its not in the owners manual. Replaced oil in the engine, transmission, and final drive, as well as oil filter every time. Ill occasionally do the final drive more frequently just because its only 135ml and takes less than 2 minutes, and Im told its good to do that more frequently.

Anyway, Im now doing my 3k oil change, and per the owners manual, checking cables and spokes, etc. But when I go online to order the filter, I keep seeing Valve Cover Gaskets in "oil change kits" and Im wondering, do I need to be changing the valve cover gaskets every time I do an oil change? I'll admit Im a little afraid to crack the engine open. Is this an optional thing or would it behoove me to change these out as well?

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: Valve Cover Gaskets?

Post by rivers » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:51 pm

No you don't need to change valve cover gaskets at every oil change. You want a set on hand though if you bugger one.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:14 am

not sure if they changed it, but for the final drive my manual states after draining to fill the casing with 20-50 and spin the wheel a couple times to flush it. I read that to fill to the fill plug, It may get oil to spots that can go dry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Daisy Cutter

Post by Daisy Cutter » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:40 am

You should be checking valve lash and adjusting if needed at each oil change interval. That's why the gaskets are offered in the kits. I haven't torn one yet while removing the valve covers but I did replace them when I switched to synthetic oil. Make note of the valve cover orientation when you remove it. The gaskets are not left or right side specific but can be put on upside down if that makes sense. The top is shaped slightly different than the bottom (if your looking down over the bike). If you plan on reusing the existing gaskets, make sure they stay on the head when you remove the valve cover. Less likely to damage it and it will be seal better.
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2003 HD Heritage Softail Classic Anniversary Edition

Eric N
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Eric N » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:49 am

+1 on you should be checking the valves with each oil change.

Removing the valve covers just requires a 12mm wrench/ socket. The covers pop right off, you're not in any way "cracking the engine open". It's part of the maintenance cycle. If the covers start to leak, replace the gaskets. They don't require replacement at every opening.

If you haven't adjusted your valves, that's WAY more important than your extra oil changes. At 330 miles, my exhaust valves were far out of spec, intake were only slightly off. Driving with valves way off = not good.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:30 am

Old VW trick: use a thin layer of non-permanent RTV to glue the gaskets to the valve covers, not the heads! The most common way the gaskets tear is getting twisted pulling them off.

If/when you need to replace them just pull them away and trim up any debris on the covers with a single-edged razor blade.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

KansasCityLoser
Comrade
Comrade

Post by KansasCityLoser » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:06 pm

Ive never changed or adjusted my valves. Didnt know that was something I needed to do. Just ordered a gap measurement tool, and then will search the forums here on how to do it. If there is already a how-to step by step, can someone link it here?

windmill

Post by windmill » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:16 pm

KansasCityLoser wrote:Ive never changed or adjusted my valves. Didnt know that was something I needed to do. Just ordered a gap measurement tool, and then will search the forums here on how to do it. If there is already a how-to step by step, can someone link it here?
The service intervals are in the owners manual, section 1-7
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... Manual.pdf

Valve adjustment.
http://myural.com/valve%20adjustment.htm
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:38 pm

KansasCityLoser wrote:Ive never changed or adjusted my valves. Didnt know that was something I needed to do. Just ordered a gap measurement tool, and then will search the forums here on how to do it. If there is already a how-to step by step, can someone link it here?
Oh yeah, i also have a 2016 GU i have checked the valve adjustment at least 3 times in 4500km. and i did a adjustment once as they seem to stay in specs. i bought a set of what they call go-no-go feeler gauges their 4 thousand on the end but further up they are 5 thousand,found much easier to use than the standard type. the only aggravating part of the adjustment was the oily feeler gauge slipping out of my hands about 10 times,and the adjustment will change a little when tightening the lock nut. just be patient and all will come together very easy. watch the videos and i would ignore the head bolt torquing part in some videos, i just gently check the head bolts to make sure they arnt loose,all this is IMHO of course. if you decide to torque the head bolts, please do some research first. :cheers: ps as for the valve cover gasket the newer Urals have a new improved type that can be used several times or more i have had mine off at least 4 times without a leak. suggestion is to smear some Hylomar blue, non Harding sealer on just in case. look up Hylomar its old school Rolls-Royce jet engine gasket stuff the best in the world i think, i got mine on Ebay. :cheers:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Eric N
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Eric N » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:51 pm

hotflash44 wrote: if you decide to torque the head bolts, please do some research first.
Sorry, not a fan of cryptic suggestions.

Kansas - You'll want to torque the heads before adjusting the valves as it will also change the valve lash. Don't exceed 35 foot pounds, yep get a good torque wrench, it will save having to fix the case. Don't loosen the head bolts and re-torque, that can also help strip the case. Just put the torque wrench on, check gently in a cross pattern, such as lower left, then upper right, upper left, lower right, lower left, and so on. If it feels loose, tighten it a little, go through the cross pattern, tighten a little more. Don't go all crazy on one bolt before moving to the next, things can get bent that way.

I've used the F2 method to adjust valves for years - http://f2mcltd.blogspot.com/2011/10/ura ... tment.html

Remember the you will need to spin the engine with the kickstarter to adjust. Even if you use the TDC method, you can only do one side at a time before having to rotate the engine. If, when checking the valves, they seem insanely tight, you probably have the engine on the wrong part of the stroke. Before adjusting valves, check engine position first.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:06 am

Eric N wrote:
hotflash44 wrote: if you decide to torque the head bolts, please do some research first.
Sorry, not a fan of cryptic suggestions.

Kansas - You'll want to torque the heads before adjusting the valves as it will also change the valve lash. Don't exceed 35 foot pounds, yep get a good torque wrench, it will save having to fix the case. Don't loosen the head bolts and re-torque, that can also help strip the case. Just put the torque wrench on, check gently in a cross pattern, such as lower left, then upper right, upper left, lower right, lower left, and so on. If it feels loose, tighten it a little, go through the cross pattern, tighten a little more. Don't go all crazy on one bolt before moving to the next, things can get bent that way.

I've used the F2 method to adjust valves for years - http://f2mcltd.blogspot.com/2011/10/ura ... tment.html

Remember the you will need to spin the engine with the kickstarter to adjust. Even if you use the TDC method, you can only do one side at a time before having to rotate the engine. If, when checking the valves, they seem insanely tight, you probably have the engine on the wrong part of the stroke. Before adjusting valves, check engine position first.
Don't think my suggestion would come under the category of cryptic or mystical suggestions, i just wanted a newbie like i was once, to research the procedure as some folks haven't and snapped a stud. IMHO :cheers: (F2 is just one of several acceptable methods of doing the adjustment and a good one im sure!)
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:24 am

rougaroo wrote:Old VW trick: use a thin layer of non-permanent RTV to glue the gaskets to the valve covers, not the heads! The most common way the gaskets tear is getting twisted pulling them off.

If/when you need to replace them just pull them away and trim up any debris on the covers with a single-edged razor blade.

Rougaroo

NAPA makes a good brush on "High Tack Gasket Sealant". Made by Permatex. Product number 765-1221. Easy to use and holds gaskets in place on valve cover during tightening. Especially helpful on right side. Works really well with silicone gaskets. Clans up easily with laquer thinner.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"