Mid Atlantic Back roads Discovery Routes

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Mid Atlantic Back roads Discovery Routes

Post by URALNUT60 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:16 am

Has anybody rode there ural on the Mid Atlantic discovery routes? Is most of it Ural friendly? I am in central pa. Could ride north or south, please share your expierianced. Thank you

Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Mid Atlantic Back roads Discovery Routes

Post by Lofty » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:07 pm

URALNUT60 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:16 am
Has anybody rode there Ural on the Mid Atlantic discovery routes?
Is most of it Ural friendly?

I am in central pa. Could ride north or south, please share your experience. Thank you
I've done a long stretch of the MABDR on my DR650, and a shorter but rougher segment of the same on my Ural. Both rides occurred earlier this year, on the Pennsylvania leg of the MABDR (coincidentally, in the southern and central portion of the state). I did riding in both northern and southern directions.

There are portions of the MABDR that I rode that I definitely wouldn't consider Ural friendly, in terms of long hill climbs and rough forest road terrain. The rigs simply don't have the ground clearance, or especially the gearing, for some of the public "roads" that are anything but.

To be sure, there are plenty of portions of the MABDR, between the individual mapped waypoints, that are indeed an easy ride on the Ural. If you stick to the route, though, there will be some longish segments where even turning around won't solve your problem if you get in too deep. This is because backtracking will be as rough as going forward. I had to keep my wits about me even when the Suzuki's suspension and shorter gearing should have made things easier.

Choose wisely. I'd recommend having a dual sport and at least a bit of off-road riding experience in your back pocket.

:wink:
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by URALNUT60 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Thank you for your input Lofty, have you ridden the route below the Pa line towards Damascus?

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:48 pm

URALNUT60 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:03 pm
Thank you for your input Lofty, have you ridden the route below the Pa line towards Damascus?
No, I stayed in PA due to my limited time frame for riding. I'd love to do the whole MABDR, but I'd need time to plan for it and I'd personally want a riding partner for company and mutual support as needed. And I'd be on the DR650, for sure.

The intel I had on hand, via ADV Rider, seemed to suggest that but for one truly challenging [and short] segment in VA, the sum of the MABDR (excluding that bit in central PA that I mention, above) is generally big-ADV-bike friendly. I'd wager that this would also translate well for a Ural with 50/50 tires and an experienced rider.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey

URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by URALNUT60 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:32 am

I was watching video on BDR mt holly to lockhaven, 163 miles, Lofty would you say most of that section Ural friendly? I don't mind detours to friendlier terrain if I have to

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:25 pm

Watched some footage of the MABDR as I think it passed thru Bald Eagle? Sounds challenging. Parts looks good for Urals but some parts looked like they could be a problem as some roads/trails were real rocky.
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:57 pm

URALNUT60 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:32 am
I was watching video on BDR mt holly to lockhaven, 163 miles, Lofty would you say most of that section Ural friendly? I don't mind detours to friendlier terrain if I have to
If memory serves, there will be a few elevations (long and/or steep climbs) on certain segments that you won't come to until well along on a particular road. Such roads are Ural friendly only to the extent that the rider doesn't have mechanical sympathy for the engine or transmission.

Conincidentally, Waypoint #6, Mt. Holly Springs, was one of my staging areas when meeting another DR650 owner for that particular ride.

Any detours would require a U-turn and fuel-burning rerouting. If that's acceptable, then you'll be riding near and not fully on the MABDR, at least in some places. You'll miss some amazing geography, which is the point of riding the Route itself.

Please reconsider, or purchase a more appropriate motorcycle. It will make the trip more enjoyable, I promise. :thumbsup:
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey

Black_Magic
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Black_Magic » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:45 pm

This video might have some 'cautionary shots' in it for riding the trail.
Honda Groms from NYC to the TAT start via the MABRDR. A chainsaw would've helped but there's some nasty tracks in the video.
https://youtu.be/iXzEq0Nf7rs
2017 Gear Up - Urban Camo
2:1 High Right side Hindle exhaust.
Kaleb winch mount + Harborfreight wireless winch.
Dog restraints.

2012 Yamha Super Tenere