The big trip

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
Fran
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

The big trip

Post by Fran » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:16 pm

My wife and I are leaving on Labor day to begin our "Big Trip". We have a 16 Gear up with 7k on it. We will start by seeing friends and family around the States. The itinerary at the moment is start in SoCal, Salt Lake city, Kenniwick WA, Billings MO, Saginaw MI, Great Barrington MA, Philly PA, Charlotte NC, and then Florida. After Florida we will go to Big Bend National Park and hopefully cross the border in Jan 18 and go to the Copper Canyon and then slowly head south ultimately to Ushuaia We will play it be ear as far as routes and time is concerned when we leave the Copper cyn. Any advice on anything routes (no freeways) tools, places to see, packing, what to bring or what not to bring, etc will be a great help. If you just assume we know very little about long distance Ural travel you won't be far wrong. We think 200 /250 miles a day is what we aim for. It will be a mix of camping, hotels, airbnb, family until Big Bend and then hotels mostly. Thanks in advance and yes we will set up a blog and FB page and post here.

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Re: The big trip

Post by Tin Man » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Sounds like quite the adventure.....report in often so the working class ( :wink: ) can live vicariously thru y'all. :foilhead:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:43 pm

Fran wrote:We will start by seeing friends and family around the States.... Billings MO
Billings, Missouri or Billings, Montana?
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

Fran

Post by Fran » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Billings Montana

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Wow, that will be an epic trip! I went x-country and back a few years ago, so for what it's worth here are some things to consider.

1. Weight is your enemy. Any savings will help your gas mileage and strain on the drive train.

2. Really plan out the route and weigh the pros and cons on camping vs. hotel/motel. Is hauling around the extra gear & weight worth the number of times you'll use it?

3. Wouldn't bother bring an extra tire besides the spare on the GU, but I would bring an extra tube and rim liner. You should be able to make it across the country, swap the pusher and sidecar tires and make it back to CA. Have brand new tires on before you start. Also, practice before you depart removing and replacing a tube - Murphy's Law that as soon as you use the spare you'll run over a nail. Use "Ride On" to balance your tires

3a. Buy a good valve core remover and a valve stem puller - worth their weight in gold.

4. Carry a qt. of oil. Check the engine oil level every morning. You will need to top off nearly every day. Tranny and FD remain pretty much unchanged.

5. Check your tire pressure every morning. Slime makes a great compact air pump.

6. Bring an extra clutch and throttle cable, along with a compliance fitting (in case one gets a crack in it) and a few fuses. If you have room, I'd also bring a small grease gun with the Lincoln adapter so you can grease the u-joints frequently (about every 1,000kms - you'll be amazed how quickly they with throw off grease). I guess the bottom line is ya don't need to bring a lot, just think about simple things that are unique to a Ural that a local motorcycle /auto shop probably won't carry.

7. Going across Nevada and the western parts of the US, I'd carry at least a 2.5 gal, preferably a 5 gal plastic gas can - strap it to the rig's step. Once you're back in more populated part of the country you can ditch it and buy another for the return leg.

8. For planning purposes, 45mph is pretty accurate regardless of how fast you think you'll be going after factoring in going through towns, gas, eating, breaks to rest your butt, UDF, sightseeing etc.

I'm sure you'll get more advice than you'll ever absorb. These rigs are pretty dependable, and you're not going to even be close (in terms of total kms) to having to worry about your clutch or splines.

Looking forward to following your adventure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:33 pm

Try to plan your trip to pass near by or stop by well known Ural dealers. That way if you need something they'll be on the way.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:24 am

Are you needing to go through Billings, MT or is that just along the way for you?

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:26 am

Albuquralque wrote:Try to plan your trip to pass near by or stop by well known Ural dealers. That way if you need something they'll be on the way.
That's an excellent point. Also, if you think you'll need something, call ahead in case they have to order it before you arrive.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:58 am

Fran, your in for the adventure of your life make plenty of videos/pictures and if you are able post some on the forum as you go. in 1969 i bought a BMW with a Wixom fairing and a canvas army saddle bag and went on a 4000 mile trip from Tucson,Ariz to Calgary, Canada and back. Road the last leg from Ogden, Utah to Tucson, Ariz non stop 1000 miles and had no adverse affects,(of course i was 22 years old). Go in IMZ Ural website and get the list of authorized dealers across the country. Some are service centers only. Above is good advice on what to bring remember you can probably buy some stuff as needed on the road. I bought a good quality mini battery charger and it also will power a cell phone or laptop very cheap and about the size of a electric shaver. also a mini 12v tire pump. make sure you get the 12v US type adapter plug for the side car. Best advice here is to practice installing the spare tire just in case. Keep us updated and enjoy your trip. P.S. don't plan to hard, just let it happen less stress that way.
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:59 am

Avoid Salt Lake City at all costs. :lol:
2011 Patrol Higgs Bison Super Collider formally known as the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:23 am

Maybe just me, but 200 - 250 m a day seems too ambitious, and no break days?
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Fran

Post by Fran » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks for all the advice and comments. Just to clarify the 200/250 miles a day is not an every day thing we will be staying a few days at least at each of the places listed in the original post. Salt Lake City and Billings are stops with family and are definite. Who can turn down a free bed and laundry. Have already had the "pleasure" of fixing a flat rear tire hence the Baja tire tool, will include rim tape tnx. We have 10l of extra gas capacity (2 cans) touratech topbox and pannier. The camping gear might be dumped if we don't need it but at the moment we need to see how the budget works out. We will also need it south of the border. Here are some photos of the bike.
IMG_4380.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Fran wrote:Thanks for all the advice and comments. Just to clarify the 200/250 miles a day is not an every day thing we will be staying a few days at least at each of the places listed in the original post.
Thank goodness for that! :o Just the way it reads then. :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

rivers

Post by rivers » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:12 pm

Sounds like a great trip! On the leg from MT to MI consider US Hwy2. Some traffic but not bad. Goes through some nice towns and the MI UP is beautiful. Do your homework on getting past/across the Darien Gap(Panama-Columbia) it'll be boat or plane. Otherwise you'll love South America. Nice folks down there. On a side note, don't expect any factory support down there so keep a US dealer or two in your phone if you need parts.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:15 pm

I thought you were in SoCal? That looks like rain in those pics. :wink: :lol:
Sorry for all the questions. I'm just wondering what route you will take after leaving Billings. If you head through NE Wyoming, I can give you some road and route recommendations. Just let me know. I might be able to hook you up with a place to stay too.
Are you referring to the Copper Canyon in Mexico by Rio Chico?

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy