The Never Ending Off Road Thread....

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
Schatzman
Comrade
Comrade

The Never Ending Off Road Thread....

Post by Schatzman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:36 pm

So I thought the site could use an off road only thread. I figured we could just post pictures and videos of our Urals in their natural habitat.

Rules:

1. Mall crawlers need not apply.

2. Only post pictures or videos of your bikes during off road riding or covered in mud/ sand/ snow etcetera post riding.

3. Put a location with the pictures.

4. Everyone is welcome to post!

I will start with some pictures and videos from July 4th with Bounty Hunter. We were in South East NH. Bounty Hunter had checked out the location the previous day.

Here is my T
Here is my T in Bounty's shop covered in mud as it should be. It did however have a broken shifter....

Here are some videos. You may have to click on the to get them to work:

Here is Bounty taking his rig through a deep water and mud hole:

Here I am going through another mud pit:

And another nice little section:

Here I am going back through the first deep water and mud hole
Andrew Schatz
2009 Ural T: 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend

chicagorandy
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: The Never Ending Off Road Thread....

Post by chicagorandy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:15 am

Soviet Steeds Rule #1 John makes all rules for this forum.

Randy's Rule #1 I apply anywhere I want.

Randy's Rule #2 After over 80,000 kms on my rig I am many things and while I've never heard the term 'mall crawler' may I presume it is meant as an insult to those who mostly ride pavement? If so I confess I take mild offense when Ural rookies call me names.

Randy's Sage Counsel #1 Not everyone has as 'positive' a perspective as you on Hitler's SS or his Youth Corps sufficient to name and decorate a Russian motorcycle in homage to them.

Maybe I'm just cranky this morning and you meant no offense this early in your participation in our forum? If so, I stand corrected and apologize for my misreading of and over-reacting to your post.
ChicagoRandy

Former Ural driver of Tovarishch - 82,825 since new - sold 08/14/11

1986 Kawasaki Voyager XII - 1200cc's of two wheel bliss
"Down the highway of life at smiles per hour, with special attention to ignorant and blind cagers"

BOUNTY HUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by BOUNTY HUNTER » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:38 am

Well this is off to an interesting start! I think the post was a good idea for the simple reason of getting the off-road members introduced and eventually offering some optional places to ride. Randy, please don't take this the wrong way but I think you have over reacted to the original post. I see you have edited your reply once already so I'd ask that you just re-read the original post w/out bias. For example:

"Randy's Rule #2 After over 80,000 kms on my rig I am many things and while I've never heard the term 'mall crawler' may I presume it is meant as an insult to those who mostly ride pavement? If so I confess I take mild offense when Ural rookies call me names."
He called you names? As for Schatzman's use of the term "Mall Crawlers"... I find that comical but then again... I have a sense of humor. I didn't find any reference to experienced street riders and I don't believe that there was any slanderous intent on his part. It would seem that he was attempting to clarify that this was going to be a thread about off-road Ural riding. He certainly didn't single out any individual in particular... or did I miss something?

"Randy's Sage Counsel #1 Not everyone has as 'positive' a perspective as you on Hitler's SS or his Youth Corps sufficient to name and decorate a Russian motorcycle in homage to them."
So? Not everyone takes a positive view to seeing the Soviet Star on some rigs. So what? Personally, I take offense to knuckle-dragging Harley riders who are 'too cool' to have quiet mufflers. But that's my problem. Last I knew everyone had a right to their own opinion. What country are we in? You seem to take offense to anything w/ WWII German military markings... so you have one-upped him in the 'name-calling' theater I guess. Damn, lighten up already, eh? What's next... a new rule where only pictures of clean orange & silver Urals can be posted?

"Maybe I'm just cranky this morning and you meant no offense this early in your participation in our forum?" I'm guessing that is the case. Again, I don't feel that he meant any offense directly or indirectly at anyone, w@* & shine or dirty rig and I am positive that he was not directing an 'attack' at anyone, including ChicagoRandy. It appears to be a simple post requesting other Ural owners who ride Urals "in their natural habitat" (ie; dirt roads, trails, mud, snow, etc.) to post a reply. I think it is a good idea so here's mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1997 KLR650
"A book is like a mirror; if an azz peers into it, you can't expect an apostle to look out."
— G.C. Lichtenberg

immulmen
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by immulmen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:03 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CJ750 M1M
1997 Ural converted to 2WD With Chang OHV engine.

AlanCT
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by AlanCT » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:14 am

Uh-oh. :?

Well anyway, I am heading up to NH and maybe ME or QC on Monday for a few days of riding and camping. I'm going to go up Mt. Washington and will generally ride a mix of dirt and paved, so I guess that makes me a "strip mall crawler" :P .

I have a Go Pro which I was given awhile back that I have not really used yet, so I'll try to figure out how to post some video and pics when I return.

My hack nose and fender are currently decorated with Boris and Natasha, BTW.
2005 Ural Tourist
2000 Kawasaki W650 (Kawumph Wanna-ville)

chicagorandy
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by chicagorandy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:51 am

I agree that I was most likely reading more into this post than intended and have already apologized if that is the case.

I do not think it is uncommon for some folks of like mind to me to have a 'negative' view of the SS or the Hitler Youth or their symbols? Considering the treatment on both sides between Russia and Germany during WWII, I find it perhaps, I don't know, ironic? when I see Nazi emblems on a Russian machine. I'd feel the same were it the Red Russian Star on a Beemer - lol

I ride my rig mostly on road because Chicago is mostly concrete, though I do ride in the snow. So am I now a Arctic Mall Crawler?
ChicagoRandy

"Down the highway of life at smiles per hour, with special attention to ignorant and blind cagers"

Schatzman
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Schatzman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:08 pm

chicagorandy wrote:Randy's Rule #2 After over 80,000 kms on my rig I am many things and while I've never heard the term 'mall crawler' may I presume it is meant as an insult to those who mostly ride pavement? If so I confess I take mild offense when Ural rookies call me names.
There was no insult directed towards anyone. It was a joking way to keep people reminded it was a off road thread. It is shocking but I don't have enough time to come on the internet to insult people. I don't care if someone doesn't want to take their rig off road. If someone wanted to strap a giant black dildo to their tractor seat that is their right to do so and I really could give two shits.

It may come as a surprise, but just because someone's post count is low, doesn't necessarily mean they are a rookie. While yes I have only had my rig for just over a year and there is still tons of $#!+ for me to learn, during that time I did about 8,000 KMS which included some longer distance trips. There is a reason I don't post on this site. Most of the things posted on here aren't my cup of tea. I am not into putting tea cup poodles with goggles on in my side car and giving my bike some girls name, but if that is what people want to do have at it. So instead of being annoyed that every time I log on there is some thread I don't care for, I decided to make a thread. If you don't wish to participate feel no need.
chicagorandy wrote:Randy's Sage Counsel #1 Not everyone has as 'positive' a perspective as you on Hitler's SS or his Youth Corps sufficient to name and decorate a Russian motorcycle in homage to them.
You are the third person I have ever met to take offense to my bike. I have driven to the East End of Long Island in East Hampton to be exact, which is mostly made up of Jewish people. I received more compliments while there for two weeks visiting my family then anywhere else I have been with the bike. Most of the time when my Ural is parked next to a non panzer grey Ural, my bike gets more compliments and comments. However I painted my bike for ME! It is not some political message.
chicagorandy wrote:I find it perhaps, I don't know, ironic? when I see Nazi emblems on a Russian machine
I find it more ironic that what was originally a German bike is now produced by the Russians. To say you can look at a Ural and not see that is extremely similar to the BMW R75 from WWII would be impressive. While yes it is produced in Russia and they have done an excellent job of updating it over the year and keeping the vintage appeal to the bike, it still shares great similarity to the original BMW R75.

Now that this thread has gone to $#!+ in less then 24 hours allow me to reiterate what its purpose is. It was simply to designate a place to post pictures of Urals off road and to share trails. I wish there was an off road sub forum, but I am guessing there is not enough demand. Hopefully this thread will help interest people.
Andrew Schatz

Schatzman
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Schatzman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:20 pm

To keep this thread moving, here is a picture from when I was first learning to ride and Bounty Hunter dragged me out to the trails in Weare NH.
Andrew Schatz

berger
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by berger » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:39 pm

I don't do a lot of trail riding, but here are some pics of mine and Captain Canuck's bike on some trails...

Another....

I nearly fell of my chair after I read this....
I am not into putting tea cup poodles with goggles on in my side car and giving my bike some girls name...
Berger

2007 Ural Patrol (1st Owner)
Many, Many Mods.

BOUNTY HUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by BOUNTY HUNTER » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks immulmen!
AlanCT - Strip Mall Crawler... :D
Randy - Arctic Mall Crawler... :lol:

Please do bear in mind I'm sincerely attempting to keep the political aspects aside. Some facts are in order though in case some are unaware. 12th SS Panzer Division "Hitlerjugend" was composed, for the most part, of politically indoctrinated (brain-w@$#ed) kids born 1926 + later (making them under 19 years old (!!!) when organized and sent to battle). Since they were 7 years old at the time the Nazi Party came to power they certainly knew no better or any different so it is tough to blame the child for their youthful exuberance and fanatical combat record. Every nation that has been involved in combat can be accused of sending fanatical cannon-fodder into battle to do "God's Work"... even the Italians who fought corageously @ Stalingrad. 12th SS Panzer did have a well respected reputation for fighting to the last man (boy) but let us not confuse the historical role of the Waffen SS combat soldier w/ that of the Allgemeine SS concentration camp guards. These were two entirely different outfits and placing them both in the same basket is akin to calling all Russians 'Communists' or all Americans 'Capitalist pigs'.

"Considering the treatment on both sides between Russia and Germany during WWII, I find it perhaps, I don't know, ironic? when I see Nazi emblems on a Russian machine. I'd feel the same were it the Red Russian Star on a Beemer - lol"
:!: The Germans used whatever captured machinery they could find that was operable (French, British, American, Russian, etc.) and the Americans and Russians were known to use captured German equipment as well. The British, during the campaign in North Africa, used captured German vehicles (including sidecars) which retained the Afrika Corps palm tree emblem! Pictured below: These German motorcycles carry an American 'star'.

I hope this was educational and viewed in that light and not taken as political or an attack against anyone. We're all friends here. Thanks, C
1997 KLR650
"A book is like a mirror; if an azz peers into it, you can't expect an apostle to look out."
— G.C. Lichtenberg

chicagorandy
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by chicagorandy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:02 pm

Like I said, I am obviously reading more into the 'friendly' insulting term Mall Crawler than was intended. I had never heard it used before today and my very brief web search did not turn up any references where it was used in a positive light. Kinda like calling someone a mall ninja on a firearm forum. It does not endear a person to the casual reader.
ChicagoRandy

BOUNTY HUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by BOUNTY HUNTER » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Schatzman: WRONG!!!

A: Ural M-72 is based on the 1938 ~ 1941 BMW R71 (pictured below), NOT the 1941 ~ 1944 BMW R75... Dumbass! :lol:

B: Your picture of tree meets "T" was taken in Goffstown, NH... NOT Weare, NH ... See above :lol:

C: 8,000 Km's in a year = 4968 miles. While respectable for a newbie, specially since you have "0" previous miles... it is still 'rookie' status. You have no bragging rights yet so don't get too cocky.

D: I'd tone down your perceived attitude a couple of degrees. Doggle clad "Fluffy" riding around in Bertha's tub is just fine and there is no reason to pi$$ others off just because you don't understand it or care for it. I know you were attempting to be comical but you should read, re-read and then read again BEFORE hitting submit. Not all of us assholes are into grimy, dented Wehrmacht clones. I'm sure we are in the minority too and this forum and its members are a great resource of information and worthy of your respect. Your post will hopefully bring a few off-road people together.
Got it? Good :roll:
1997 KLR650
— G.C. Lichtenberg

Schatzman
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Schatzman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:43 pm

BOUNTY HUNTER wrote:Schatzman: WRONG!!!

A: Ural M-72 is based on the 1938 ~ 1941 BMW R71 (pictured below), NOT the 1941 ~ 1944 BMW R75... Dumbass! :lol:

B: Your picture of tree meets "T" was taken in Goffstown, NH... NOT Weare, NH ... See above :lol:

C: 8,000 Km's in a year = 4968 miles. While respectable for a newbie, specially since you have "0" previous miles... it is still 'rookie' status. You have no bragging rights yet so don't get too cocky.

D: I'd tone down your perceived attitude a couple of degrees. Doggle clad "Fluffy" riding around in Bertha's tub is just fine and there is no reason to pi$$ others off just because you don't understand it or care for it. I know you were attempting to be comical but you should read, re-read and then read again BEFORE hitting submit. Not all of us assholes are into grimy, dented Wehrmacht clones. I'm sure we are in the minority too and this forum and its members are a great resource of information and worthy of your respect. Your post will hopefully bring a few off-road people together.
Got it? Good :roll:
R75 did have the air head engine.... It is funny because I was going to say R71 then saw the engine and thought damn its R75 knowing you would have corrected me. :lol: I screwed that one up. I was not bragging and said I was still new, but it isn't like i bought the thing a week ago.

As I stated above, dogs in the side car isnt my thing but if someone enjoys it, have at it. Now is my transmission done yet :cry:
Andrew Schatz

immulmen
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by immulmen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Like this.
CJ750 M1M
1997 Ural converted to 2WD With Chang OHV engine.

BOUNTY HUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by BOUNTY HUNTER » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:39 pm

As I stated above, dogs in the side car isnt my thing but if someone enjoys it, have at it. Now is my transmission done yet :cry:[/quote]
Transmission: I AM on vacation (I thought). Since my shop is tied up w/ a dead rig perhaps I should take an additional week off? :?
I think that is one of my better ideas. :D
1997 KLR650
— G.C. Lichtenberg