New product announcement and call for opinions - Single Piece Extended Reverse Hand Shift lever

This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to peddle their Ural/Dnepr related wares. One caveat only, all listings must include a price or the MSRP.
Forum rules
This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to advertise and sell their Ural or Dnepr related wares. All listings must include a price or the MSRP.
HemisphereOffroad
Party Member
Party Member

New product announcement and call for opinions - Single Piece Extended Reverse Hand Shift lever

Post by HemisphereOffroad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:50 am

Hi all,

We are in preproduction of our single-piece Extended Reverse Hand Shift lever. We have heard customers request a non-adjustable version, so here it is. Expect to see it available online in several weeks. Price: TBD.

This is a direct replacement for the OEM "low and stubby" lever. It will fit most Urals with regular modern rubber intake boots. Those of you with different type intakes can try it and, if it doesn't fit, just send it back and we'll refund your purchase price.

What do you think? Now is a good time to get your opinions, since we are in the prototype phase and can easily make changes. Let us know what you think!

Thanks for your input - we really do keep track of your suggestions.
SINGLE PIRCE HAND REVERSE SHIFTER.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HemisphereOffroad
Party Member
Party Member

Re: New product announcement and call for opinions - Single Piece Extended Reverse Hand Shift lever

Post by HemisphereOffroad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:08 am

Also, we'd LOVE to see photos of your bikes in this intake boot area to see if any models / years have stuff in the way. Feel free to post them or email us - we would sure appreciate it!

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Re: New product announcement and call for opinions - Single Piece Extended Reverse Hand Shift lever

Post by S 854 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:12 am

How long are you proposing the lever to be?
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

HemisphereOffroad
Party Member
Party Member

Post by HemisphereOffroad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:30 am

360mm (14.2") from the center of the splined shaft to the top of the aluminum shifter ball:
LEVER LENGTH.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by stagewex » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:08 am

Neat. I already have the reverse-neutral shifter so no need but something extended like that for the 1WD to 2WD shorty shifter...

Same exact shaft pattern. But could be straight or angled a different way. Try making both products at the same time. That's my opinion.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

HemisphereOffroad
Party Member
Party Member

Post by HemisphereOffroad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:51 pm

Thanks much, Stagewex!

We are also looking at the 2WD stubby shifter. It's a but trickier because of the spring-loaded sideways locking action....but we can move it higher on our priority list.

How about you other 2WD owners? Anyone else dislike reaching blind down there to switch to 2WD? Our engineer complains that he'a always afraid of losing a finger while shifting on the fly...he's just kidding but...

stagewex wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:08 am
Neat. I already have the reverse-neutral shifter so no need but something extended like that for the 1WD to 2WD shorty shifter...

Same exact shaft pattern. But could be straight or angled a different way. Try making both products at the same time. That's my opinion.

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:15 am

I have had a Ural with and without and extended shifter. I enjoy my current aftermarket shifter at tank height. I use it at every stop into neutral. The initial price was high but I am sure it will last forever. It is sturdy. Robust is a better word. First time self installation only presented one small problem, but immediately recognized. Adjusting it was simple.

I don't want to be the spoiler on your design.. On the plus side .A one piece is good. Simple one bolt install...GREAT. I think you figured out length is limited. I could be wrong. I think if you marketed it at an enticing price you would find buyers. There is currently a relatively inexpensive shorty foot shift thrower available now. I did not know of when I purchased my Raceway. May have gone that route but honestly I think in the future I would have yearned for that tank height shifter.

The 2WD shifter is a moot point for me. Have only engaged it in practice of future need. Plus it is located at the rear wheel and all cyclist know that is where the action is at and vulnerable to hazard or mishap, so in design would have to be incognito. It is a little tricky wigglin' the current two wheel drive into action. If you had a lever that would alleviate/simplify ...great.

Best Regards :cheers:
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

HemisphereOffroad
Party Member
Party Member

Post by HemisphereOffroad » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:24 am

Thanks for your detailed and well-considered message Tgtrotter! Great feedback.

We have one of the foot-actuated reverse shifters here and used it for quite a long time. it was just fine, worked well, definitely better than the stock shifter. That is, until you got into the mud etc. then...not so much fun. This happened quite a bit because that's where the riding took the bike. :)

What would you all consider is a fair price, keeping in mind that it's made by a relatively expensive process (CNC machining from a block of 6061 Aluminum)? we could go all cheapy and use some bent tubing, but we don't feel like that's the right design for our product line.

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:48 am

Make a fancy CNC-machined lever and a budget tube lever and price each accordingly. As long as both achieve the same desired result, I'll bet you'll sell more of the budget tube style.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:59 am

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:48 am
Make a fancy CNC-machined lever and a budget tube lever and price each accordingly. As long as both achieve the same desired result, I'll bet you'll sell more of the budget tube style.
X2
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:49 am

Devils advocate here:

As tgtrotter mentioned regarding his Raceway shifter, "The initial price was high but I am sure it will last forever. It is sturdy. Robust is a better word."

Word gets around regarding the quality and function of certain aftermarket manufacturers... high price doesn't always ensure high quality, but word-of-mouth advertising might tend to loosen the purse strings of potential buyers when they know they'll be getting a useful bit for their rig... knowing that farkle will work as advertised.

I have no experience with Hemisphere Offroad... however my impression of their products (as reviewed by other Soviet Steeds members) is they tend to produce quality, worthwhile items.

CNC milled aluminum is always going to be lighter than a cut-and-weld steel piece and in this instance, lighter would be better... I can see the review now... "Heading up hill on a rock strewn road I went to shift out of first gear when the iron reverse lever's weight caused it to slip back preventing me from engaging second... stopped me dead in my tracks..."

Maybe a bit over-the-top... but there's nothing holding our current reverse lever in place except a rather weak detent...lengthen the lever and add mass and the detent looses it's effectiveness.
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

EricH
Party Member
Party Member

Post by EricH » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:31 pm

Interesting looking piece.

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:56 pm

S 854 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:49 am
Devils advocate here:
. . .
Maybe a bit over-the-top... but there's nothing holding our current reverse lever in place except a rather weak detent...lengthen the lever and add mass and the detent looses it's effectiveness.
+1

Actually, the reverse lever is only kept in the non-engaged position by the friction of an internal coil spring, and it does bother me about the extra mass of add-on tank shifters and wot-not, whcih as far as I can see will jiggle the reverse lever about and wear out the spring or whatever it presses on, so the reverse lever becomes sloppy. Sure I've read here about someone having that happen, and the neutral light keeps flickering on and off because it's loose. I have not yet seen a tank shifter that has a positive detent to hold the reverse lever positively in place, when both engaged and not engaged. Unless anyone else knows differently. :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:13 pm

I've got the Raceway reverse-only hand-shifter on my cT. A combination of forward-leaning weight and friction in the linkages holds it rock-solid in the "disengaged" position, until I pull it back for a positive reverse engagement. It's very effective (and very expensive).
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:26 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:13 pm
I've got the Raceway reverse-only hand-shifter on my cT. A combination of forward-leaning weight and friction in the linkages holds it rock-solid in the "disengaged" position, until I pull it back for a positive reverse engagement. It's very effective (and very expensive).
I'm still waiting on a review of functionality of your reverse shifter with that 10 pound hand grenade mounted in place of the knob.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.