Rich's Cycle Upholstery OPEN!

This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to peddle their Ural/Dnepr related wares. One caveat only, all listings must include a price or the MSRP.
Forum rules
This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to advertise and sell their Ural or Dnepr related wares. All listings must include a price or the MSRP.
Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Rich's Cycle Upholstery OPEN!

Post by Rich Maund » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:54 pm

Folks
Since business and my health have been so poor the past couple years, I had been trying to go out of business. I have had a couple of job offers yanked out from under me. The last one being last week. So I have no choice but to double down on my upholstery business that I have run since 1996 and keep it going a while longer. On the good side, my diabetes is under better control than it has been since it started. So I am feeling better and can almost do an honest days work now a days. So I am trying to solve my under employment by starting some good projects here.

I have been building scratch built Ural sidecar seats for twenty years now. There is nothing about the factory seats that make them worth rebuilding IMO. Thin wood that is easily water damaged, foam that is too soft and collapses under modest load......... Get them moist and you get huge swaths of fuzzy yellow mold in them. So I blue printed my own many years ago.
I use 1/2" thick hardwood plywood or salt treated plywood plus salt treated wood for the braces underneath the seat bottom. I seal the wood all over with polyurethane for water resistance. I use SS marine staples. Marine vinyl's. The seat backs get carpeted and a leather pouch gets built on. Hardware included too. Basically, my scratch built seats are better in all regards to a stock one. I have fitted them on Ural sidecars on models dating all the way back to the 60's. So I know they fit!
Pic:

The one above has black marine grade vinyl done in padded tuck & roll with white edge piping. I can do them in black pleated basketweave or any other available marine vinyl. Feel free to PM or email me about what you want built. maunds@verizon.net

The price for a sidecar seat like this $300 plus shipping. I accept Pay Pal and MO's.

I spent the day building three sets of sidecar seat bases. Poly will dry tonight on them and I can foam them tomorrow. Each one can take me up a week to finish to order.

Contact me if you'd like one finished to your spec! I need a few projects to finish out the year and to cover my bills!

BTW, that photo also shows one of my carpet sidecar interiors with a leather pouch built on. I still build these sets too!

I also have one old bench seat pan here I can rebuild as a Road Sofa bench for touring of anyone needs it.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

silverdog
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Rich's Cycle Upholstery OPEN!

Post by silverdog » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:48 pm

Very nice... Ever do any thing with the tractor seat? More padding?

Thanks...
2012 gobi

Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Rich Maund » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:49 pm

I build gel padded covers for the rubber tractor seats as well as foam padded ones. Been doing that since the late 90's. ;-) Had to invent them to survive the 13 hour rides to the old Hack'd magazine rallies!

Gel padded is $150 plus shipping and high density foam padded is $100 plus shipping.

Pic:

In the bottom one, that is a sidecar seat I built as well.

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Post by MartyL » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:01 pm

I have a Rich Maund Tonneau cover in Camo and a Spare tire cover in black. These are Quality products and the workmanship is excellent! You will be very happy with Rich's products!
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

roger99a
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by roger99a » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:41 pm

How much for a road sofa if I send you the old seat?
Roger

2007 Patrol, the 'trol
Central California

Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Rich Maund » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:35 pm

roger99a wrote:How much for a road sofa if I send you the old seat?
To re-foam it from scratch with high density foam and soft top padding and it'll be sculpted to your spec/needs and covered in any of my marine vinyls is $400 including return shipping. I will also re-weld the seat brackets on the pan if I think it needs it. New pan edging too.

I have a eight foot slab of the foam I need for this work on order. Should be here next week.

isldtime
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by isldtime » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:48 pm

You have a whole new group here now that hasn't seen your stuff yet...Good stuff!!
2002 Tourist
2013 Husky TR650 Strada

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:37 pm

This seems to be good news for us...hopefully members here will have decent luck.

Previously my emails to this guy went completely ignored so I gave up.
Current Ural: 2013 Ural Solo sT

Previous Ural: 2013 Ural Patrol

Lee Pape
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Lee Pape » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:04 am

I love my road sofa and Nancy likes the lazy girl in the sidecar. Both still look in good shape after 8 years of use.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Rich Maund » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:27 am

The recession slowed my business way down. Then a couple of asshats never paid me for the goods. I used to ship stuff and then have folks Pay Pal me. Not anymore. They blew it for everyone. Then I got a job in a local machine shop for 18 months, so I wasn't doing any upholstery. But that job had some brutal conditions and after a year and a half, I resigned. About the time I started that machine shop job, Geocities shut down their web sites. Mine included. Now, enough years have gone by that there is a new generation of owners who have no idea what all I used to make. There was a ten year period there when I was the Ural aftermarket. Only a few others like Jim Petitt of Raceway, were offering stuff back then. I've been involved with these rigs since about 1996 when I got my first rig, a crusty Dnepr MT16. Since then I've had two Urals, and attached a couple Ural chairs to Guzzi's,

Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Rich Maund » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:32 am

Lee Pape wrote:I love my road sofa and Nancy likes the lazy girl in the sidecar. Both still look in good shape after 8 years of use.

Thanks Lee! Good to know my stuff holds up so well over the years! I recently had a old customer commission a new Ural sidecar seat from me. He got one from me over ten years ago and is still using it. But now he's chopping the sidecar to fit a second passenger in the rear. So he needed a second matching seat.

Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Rich Maund » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:20 pm

Here's a link to my seat pics on PB. These are not organized, just posted to this album over the years as I did the jobs. And please also note that some of it will never get built again. Some bikes have seats that just are not worth working on IME. And in the case of my scratch built Retro seats that few people wanted, the molds broke years ago. I don't plan to make another.

http://s19.photobucket.com/user/rgmaund ... t=3&page=1

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:42 pm

As always Richard... beautiful craftsmanship. The black sidecar seat with the white piping is gorgeous.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250
2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Rich Maund » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks Man! I started this business as something I could after getting hit by a car and getting both my legs crushed and shoulders torn up. When I went pro back in '96 I was still on crutches! This business saved my butt as I was getting tossed out of the Navy. You get injured that bad in the military and they just toss you aside like a broken toy. They don't work too hard to fix you either. Sewing was something I could do even after my injuries.

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:06 pm

Good news! Glad to see ya back in business. :)
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........