New Sidecar Girl

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
DisplacedYooper
Comrade
Comrade

Re: New SIdecar Girl

Post by DisplacedYooper » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:34 pm

Welcome from the Frozen Tundra of Wisconsin !!!!
(I moved to a Better Climate.....from the UP of Michigan.....LOL)
Couple of Things FIRST !!!!!
You have to "Name It' !!!!! Choose Wisely, IT'S Like picking NAME FOR A BOAT !!!!
And the their is No Ritual of Poisidon to change it on a Bike !!!
After You pick a name, ...you are FREE to call it anything you Like..... including Compound Cussing
When the RPOC breaks down, parts come loose, and being a Kick Starter, won't Start.......
But by it's given Name First !!! (or last)
Next get EXTRA 10mm 12mm `14mm wrenches !!! they disappear like magic !!
And Get Therapy !!! Own a Ural is a Challenge on It's OWN !!!
Or the Real Theme is YOUR DAD Never Did Want You To Ride Motorcycles
after this being your first Bike.....LOL

PARTY ON !!

PS, sorry I'm not on ANY Social pages.....

Snakeoil
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Snakeoil » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:48 pm

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new project and hats off to Dad for giving it to you.

You have a 650 engine. Most here have 750 engines. But they are very similar and generally speaking the comments/techniques from 750 will apply to your engine. Chassis are pretty much the same, short of updates done as the years passed by.

I would suggest cleaning/degreasing before you dive into anything. It will make things easier, cleaner and keep you happier as you start to take things apart as required. You use a degreaser and a hose or pressure washer, keep in mind that water can be forced into places that you do not want it. So keep that in mind as you spray the water. After cleaning, dump the oils in the engine, tranny and Final Drive (FD) and refill with fresh oil. Now, I would try to get the engine to start or maybe just fire assuming you have a good battery.

Dig in the sidecar and any other nook on the rig for the pouch with the factory tool set. There are some specialty tools for working on the wheels in there.

You will need metric tools for the most part. But Ivan (our name for the factory) was not very good at maintaining specs on hex head bolts so an American (SAE) wrench may be needed from time to time.

I thought the Service Manual was posted here. Just looked and did not see it. Someone may know where it is hiding. Wiring is very simply on these. Wiring diagrams are dead simple. Since you are young, don't let the electrical stuff intimidate you. Learn it now. It's easy. And when they go over electricity in science class in school, pay attention. You will use the stuff they are teaching you.

Another thing you should get is "The Yellow Book" or another sidecar operator book. It explains driving a sidecar, which is different than a motorcycle or a car. I know you are too young to drive on the road, but you are never to young to learn the basics.

I suspect you just got yourself what might be called a collective Grandpa. Most of us here have gray hair.

Good luck!
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Marine Corps Codu
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Welcome from Camano Island, Washington. I hope you have tons of fun on your project. And relish the time with your dad!
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
Current 2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1947 Cushman Motor Scooter
1958 Cushman/Sears Motor Scooter
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ1000
1960 Honda 55 (2 of them)
2002 Honda Gold Wing GL1800
2006 Ural Patrol
2005 BMW R1200GS
2018 Ural Gear Up

Snakeoil
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: New Sidecar Girl

Post by Snakeoil » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:43 pm

Dad relish... I remember that. It's full of toe nail clippings, ear hair and whiskers.
Regards,
Rob
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:29 pm

Welcome from Illinois, enjoy your rig.
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
2002 Ural solo bobber/chopper (work in progress) “Symphony of Destruction”
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)

harryball

Post by harryball » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:39 pm

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Be sure to look for Rally's in your area (wherever that may be) and beyond, they are a good source of help, sometimes parts by mainly, you can look at many different rigs to see how yours compares and ask questions. Here's hoping we have a few in 2021.
---
2017 - cT Gen 2 EFI- "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro Gen 2 EFI- Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

agirlandhersidecar

Post by agirlandhersidecar » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:57 pm

Thanks to EVERYONE for welcoming me to the "sidecar" community! I would reply to each of y'all individually, but my dad only gives me limited time on computer on school nights and when i have volleyball practice. And yes, he is a GREAT DAD. But sometimes a dork. But I love him very much. Please be patient with me as i post what will be probably really simple questions to y'all, but harder for me as this is new to me. Thanks again. Name has been picked already, its a little cliche, but my older autistic brother helped pic it out (it will be revealed on a later date on social media but i will be sure to tell all the "oldies" :D on here when i do). He is one of the reason why I REALLY want to get the Ural up and running... I envision driving him to high school someday and going to target and roadtrips with him in the sidecar : )
Thanks AGAIN Everyone

1997 Ural
West Tennessee
1997 Ural (not road worthy... YET!)
West Tennessee
Instagram: @agirlandhersidecar

Rusty Nuts

Post by Rusty Nuts » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:58 pm

Welcome! As I am fairly new here myself and our bikes are at complete different ends of the spectrum I will be of little to no use, but there are several here to help. I have found this to be the most useful forum on the intra-web and they will provide you with answers to any questions you can think of.
Read, Learn, Enjoy!
2019 Gear Up "Babe"
2017 Indian Roadmaster Classic "Cheyenne"

TomsFunMachine
Party Member
Party Member

Post by TomsFunMachine » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:23 pm

My oldest daughter started working with me on my racecar at age 10, with the idea that one day she'd be driving it. She moved on to other things, but can change oil, a tire, spark plugs, and jump start a car better than any young men she's dated :oops:

I (literally) towed home a broken, half apart Suzuki Samurai, that my stepson and I worked to get running, so he could hang up his skateboard and drive to highschool. He walked away with a certain sense of pride for the experience.

I can't think of a better way to learn to work on things than having your own bike to work on, that you get to enjoy when you're done :cheers:
2002 Ural Tourist w/7.4 gal Dnepr tank
1965 BMW R69S Willis (long-term project bike)
'73 Honda CB175
2000 KLR 650
2018 Ninja 400 (Wife's rocket)

Snakeoil
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Snakeoil » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:04 pm

He is one of the reason why I REALLY want to get the Ural up and running... I envision driving him to high school someday and going to target and roadtrips with him in the sidecar : )
You are a good kid. You'll fit in just fine, here. So will dorky Dad. Foil hats are all the rage here.
Regards,
Rob
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:24 pm

I would pay lot of money to see you get your 650 running before some of soviet steed members that are doing the same thing!

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:22 pm

I am only an Uncle but helped raise my younger brother, Dork is part of the job description!. Or as my folks said, you don't have to like us, we are not your friends but you for sure will respect us.

As noted, the old Urals are not in my wheelhouse so others will be the right ones for the mechanical advice. I will contribute the following.

My mom carried the family after my dad died, she carried a huge load before and after and my admiration of women derives from her.

My wife has better reflexes than I do (I was a better thinking rider than she was!). You would thunk I could beat her at thrum wrestling but I am pathetic compared to here, speed wins not muscle! I have two brothers that are in her class driving wise. Women match and exceed men in ability (its the opportunity that limits any of us) - the best drivers I worked with on the AK Pipeline were women. Good steady no horsing around and that was what day in day out did the job and did it right.

I checked out one of my nieces on our F250 extended cab as she was getting certified to drive a 14 passenger van. She was very good, too good. She pushed the limits because she could get away with it. Love her dearly but still annoyed as she continues (she lives in a DRY area now so the latitude is greater, try that on ice and snow and .....)

So my advice is as you go along, as a driver, figure out what lane you are in, what your strengths are and what the overall capabilities, where you need to improve. Work on the those areas that are less capable and hone the strengths as well. Go to the wall only when you need to.

And lastly, I bless my wife for getting me back into motorcycles I had given up, she is smarter than I am and figured out it was in my DNA and granted me that to do again.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:45 am

gobium wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:24 pm
I would pay lot of money to see you get your 650 running before some of soviet steed members that are doing the same thing!
You wouldn't be stoking the fire would you?
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 155,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

Crawford Sales Co.

Post by Crawford Sales Co. » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:39 am

Hello Sidecar Girl
Listen to your Dad and let's get started on your bike.
Terry Crawford
Crawford Sales
248-437-8107
No personnel messages. Email direct. Thank you
http://www.crawfordsales.info - Web Site
crawfordsales@sbcglobal.net - Email

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:55 pm

gobium wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:24 pm
Since I am one of the guys with a project bike, I would be willing to bet her bike will run before my project bike. :lol:
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
2002 Ural solo bobber/chopper (work in progress) “Symphony of Destruction”
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)