Sidecar Power Socket Issues?

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Thorsrevenge1
Comrade
Comrade

Sidecar Power Socket Issues?

Post by Thorsrevenge1 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:56 am

Hello everyone. I just recently got my first Ural a 2013 and in familiarizing myself with the rig and making it my own I picked up the european to u.s. power adapter from UralNE, the longer version. However when I plug anything into it the said device i.e. usb power charger imediatly pops its fuse and begins smoking. What do I need to do to make it work so my monkey can charge their phone in the tub?
Secondly when this first happened and I herd the pop I thought it was from the sidecar or bike fuse box. So I pulled all the fuses to check. Since then I swear I hear something arking from under the tank when I turn the key to to any of the positions. I might be hearing things so for now I'm not going to pull anything apart if I don"t have to. Any advise on either of these would be great.
1998 Honda Shadow ACE Tourer vt1100t aka Mesa Verde
2013 Ural Gear Up ( The Kraken)

Cows die, friends and family die,
you will die just the same way.
But if you have a good reputation,
that might survive you.

“The Cowboy Havamal,”

Claus
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Sidecar Power Socket Issues?

Post by Claus » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:59 am

Check your socket and your power adapter for wrong polarity. The center contact should be plus, the surrounding contact should be negative ground.
(so the socket housing is connected to negative ground)

Originally there should be nothing under the tank that´s capable of making arking noises. What could happen is you hear one of the two start relais under the seat. (where they should be about silent). You can touch them with your fingers and switch ignition on. And you could make sure the battery plus cable on the alternator is tight on it´s stud. And on the battery as well. Arking noise is no good and only wanted as a spark noise at the plug´s gap.

Maybe you should fill up the smoke reservoir up with some Lucas replacement wiring harness smoke. When smoke left the wiring loom, it should be filled up. Smoke is operating the whole electric system.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/off- ... oke-22360/

Sorry, I couldn´t resist... :cheers:
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:12 am

Claus wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:59 am
Check your socket and your power adapter for wrong polarity. The center contact should be plus, the surrounding contact should be negative ground.
I'd start there, easy to do with a meter.
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 155,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:45 pm

The wiring diagram for a stock 2013 is at: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... iagram.pdf

Dave probably modified his bike, but the buzzing under the tank could be the 20 amp fuse that goes from the battery to the sidecar fusebox. Something might have happened under there.

I'm not a fan of the Euro adapter thing since nothing I have is that size. I used the Euro hole for the sidecar seat heater high/ low and mounted an external 12V to the fuse plate. Let's me have a dedicated 12V and twin USB chargers.
sidecar block.jpg
sidecar usb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 Gear Up 825cc
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Thorsrevenge1
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Thorsrevenge1 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:01 am

So update. It looks like the socket wires and polarity were fine. The socket itself was just so corroded that it was causing the short. I have a new socket that I'll be installing tomorrow. Secondly to the parking noise. After starting and running the bike once it has gone away. If it ain't broke I'm not gonna go looking for trouble. I've also ordered a dedicated USB/ 12 volt charger like the one Eric has pictured. I'll be wiring it is along side the European socket to have 3 charging options, obviously not all at once though.

On an un related side note. Eric N, where did you get you sidecar wall panel? Did you make it? Making one doesn't seem to involved but I think I'd be willing to shell out for one if the price was right. I definitely want one.
1998 Honda Shadow ACE Tourer vt1100t aka Mesa Verde
2013 Ural Gear Up ( The Kraken)

Cows die, friends and family die,
you will die just the same way.
But if you have a good reputation,
that might survive you.

“The Cowboy Havamal,”

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:27 am

Sidecar panels are the Ural bits https://live.uralcatalog.com/details/26245

I think I found them on sale one day, bought both the right and left sides, they just stick in with adhesive velcro and are partially held in by the seat. The kinda dent in the side is where the windshield rests when folded down. Panels, arm rests and seat heaters were all at monkeys request and they make it a softer/ less metal seating area. I was going to add a maple dash but my legs are too long for me to be able to fit with the dash in place and there are days I've chilled in the sidecar reading or doing whatever (or on my 2001 going through the service manual trying to figure out how to fix it so I could get home).

It would be easy to make, but opportunity cost was just easier to buy the pre-made versions. The panels are an automotive style upholstery on masonite or similar. They probably won't like getting wet for long periods and if the bikes gonna be exposed I would go a different route. My passengers are all pretty fair weather folks, and the tonneau works fine to keep out most wet.
2018 Gear Up 825cc
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:10 pm

Howdy Greg,

Sorry to hear of your electrical troubles, hope your still happy with buying the rig.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

The "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, and the "Kraken" a 2013/14 Gear-Up, have been sold and no longer in my stable.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/