throttle help

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
assinine1

throttle help

Post by assinine1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:31 am

Was taking the carbs off for cleaning and noticed no tension on the throttle cables. Turns out the throttle cable connection point in the twist grip broke; aluminum degraded. Anyone know where I can find another throttle assembly? And does the assembly need to be Ural or can I use a different throttle assembly from any other bike that uses two cables? Bike is a 1998 Deco Classic.
1998 Deco Classic

:FI:Igor
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: throttle help

Post by :FI:Igor » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:21 pm

Call Gene at Holopaw Ural.
2015 Ural Patrol (Светлана)
2006 HD Low Rider (sold)
2013 Ural Patrol 'Ursula' (2015 Totaled!)

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:01 pm

https://russiangarage.com/product_info. ... cts_id=616

Did ya break this bit? They come in different sizes depending on the cable ends. If the above part it still intact and just where it mounts to the twisty is snapped, you can get a new throttle thinger https://russiangarage.com/product_info. ... cts_id=156

Terry Crawford was always able to get me stuff for my 650 http://www.crawfordsales.info/

Terry or Gene are going to be more expensive than Russian Garage but the quality of their parts is also much better. Russian Garage is like Grade B stuff, lower quality Russian Domestic but it works in a pinch. Terry and Gene will have US export quality which really is worth much more $$$ for both fit and quality.

You have 25mm bars and the Russian setup is kinda it's own thing. You can probably retrofit with a Harley dual cable pull for 1" bars, but it would also replace the kill switch and other bits since you would need to replace the whole assembly.

Terry will need to know your carbs, as I think the cable ends are different. Russian Garage is going to be kinda slow shipping right now due to COVID.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:40 am

If that's all it is it should be pretty easy to make one using common hand tools and the old pin and piece of chain.

Drill the holes and cut the slot while it is still attached to a larger piece of metal before roughing out the piece and then finishing to size.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

assinine1

Post by assinine1 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:22 pm

Eric N wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:01 pm
https://russiangarage.com/product_info. ... cts_id=616

Did ya break this bit? They come in different sizes depending on the cable ends. If the above part it still intact and just where it mounts to the twisty is snapped, you can get a new throttle thinger https://russiangarage.com/product_info. ... cts_id=156

Terry Crawford was always able to get me stuff for my 650 http://www.crawfordsales.info/

Terry or Gene are going to be more expensive than Russian Garage but the quality of their parts is also much better. Russian Garage is like Grade B stuff, lower quality Russian Domestic but it works in a pinch. Terry and Gene will have US export quality which really is worth much more $$$ for both fit and quality.

You have 25mm bars and the Russian setup is kinda it's own thing. You can probably retrofit with a Harley dual cable pull for 1" bars, but it would also replace the kill switch and other bits since you would need to replace the whole assembly.

Terry will need to know your carbs, as I think the cable ends are different. Russian Garage is going to be kinda slow shipping right now due to COVID.
That is exactly what broke. Terry is sending me a new assembly including this piece. Thank y'all very much for the replies.
1998 Deco Classic

Jayce Albert

Post by Jayce Albert » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:48 am

Glad to know you'll get a replacement. Judging by the photo, it really looks messed up.

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:28 pm

Jayce Albert wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:48 am
Glad to know you'll get a replacement. Judging by the photo, it really looks messed up.
If you are talking about the photo I posted, that's what a new replacement part looks like. Cosmoline adds character.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

assinine1

Post by assinine1 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:54 am

Terry was able to help and send the chain and block. Trouble now is actually attaching the cables to the small block without breaking the block. I must not have delicate Russian fingers...
1998 Deco Classic