Steering Damper

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Steering Damper

Post by stagewex » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:01 pm

Remember those of us with rigs prior to 2014 only had the friction damper. Sean's was the far, far superior alternative.
But there were a bunch 2014 and newer, years where either what Ural provided as a regular steering damper was either not up to the task or defective. Some folks rebuilt them or used better seals or different oil. I believe where it's at now is good?

No adjustment and works is all I need. No guessing or dialing-in whats best. Your front-end on a '19 is not much different than my '07.
There are a whole bunch of other things you can worry about with these rigs.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

windmill

Post by windmill » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:22 pm

stagewex wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:01 pm
Remember those of us with rigs prior to 2014 only had the friction damper. Sean's was the far, far superior alternative.
But there were a bunch 2014 and newer, years where either what Ural provided as a regular steering damper was either not up to the task or defective. Some folks rebuilt them or used better seals or different oil. I believe where it's at now is good?

No adjustment and works is all I need. No guessing or dialing-in whats best. Your front-end on a '19 is not much different than my '07.
There are a whole bunch of other things you can worry about with these rigs.
Ah yes, the friction damper. They work ok.........if one adjusts it to conditions on a fairly regular basis as it never seems to be just right.

The 2014-2017 damper was definitely a major step up, but the seals wore out quickly, and oil would leak out. later ones came with better seals.

The 2018 and up damper is a high quality, Italian made, Bitubo damper. Has a wider range of adjustment, and dampening is progressive.
It dampens out head shake at all settings, the adjustment just changes the feel. Light and lively with lots of feedback like a sport bike, to steady straight and insulated from rough surfaces like a touring bike.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:07 am

Yes good points. the friction damper can be "grabby" (so I'm given to believe from those who've had experience, not used one myself), a hydraulic is progressive, like a shock damper, low resistance for slow gentle movements, but more resistance for faster movements.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

newmee101

Post by newmee101 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:01 am

Quick Question, is the 2018 damper interchangeable with the 2017 without modifications?

windmill

Post by windmill » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:17 am

newmee101 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:01 am
Quick Question, is the 2018 damper interchangeable with the 2017 without modifications?
Yes.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018/20 M70

treebone
Comrade
Comrade

Post by treebone » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:46 pm

I just bought a 2015 Sportsman Adventure model with 1700 kliks that had not been serviced since new. Giving it a once over I discovered the damper was leaking oil. I was not thrilled with the idea of replacing it.
I thought, what would Ivan do?
So I pulled it off, unscrewed the endcap, and poured out some type of liquid that did a fair imitation of week old strong coffee. With nothing to lose, I refilled it with some tractor hydraulic oil and reassembled it. It remains to be seen how well it will work out, but hey, its worth a shot, right?
Current- -2015 Gearup Sportsman Adventure Camp Wandawega Edition
Gone but not forgotten- -2009 Patrol, Sold at 26000 klicks

windmill

Post by windmill » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:47 am

treebone wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:46 pm
I just bought a 2015 Sportsman Adventure model with 1700 kliks that had not been serviced since new. Giving it a once over I discovered the damper was leaking oil. I was not thrilled with the idea of replacing it.
I thought, what would Ivan do?
So I pulled it off, unscrewed the endcap, and poured out some type of liquid that did a fair imitation of week old strong coffee. With nothing to lose, I refilled it with some tractor hydraulic oil and reassembled it. It remains to be seen how well it will work out, but hey, its worth a shot, right?
Ural sells a repair kit with better seals, and there's cheap generic dampers that will work with the OE mounts. https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-FXCNC-CNC-S ... z8OyFYtI7A
Barry

2018/20 M70

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:28 am

I just installed one of the cheap generics, and I am happy so far with it.
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

treebone
Comrade
Comrade

Post by treebone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:12 pm

WoW! I thought a replacement would be north of a C note! If my WWID refill goes toes up, that ebay replacement will be the ticket.

My first Ural was a 2009 Patrol purchased new from Randy at Unique in CO. Sold it 4 years later with 26K on it. I learned a lot from it, and it really gave me perspective on the improvements on the 2015 Gearup Sportsman.
I really, really wanted a 2020 model, but the asking money for a new one is not in my range.
When I found this near new 2015 Sportsman in near unused condition for 8 grand, I could not pass it up. Remembering President Regan's policy with the Russians, "trust, but verify" I went over it with a fine tooth comb and found a few surprises, the damper being one.
My 09 patrol would not seat the head bolts, I was constantly retorqueing (?) them.
One of the first things I checked on the 15 was the torque and valve lash, the valves were on the loose side, I left them alone. The head bolts were tight and the wrench clicked at the spec. value, so I did not mess with them either.
Oil was over filled by a quart, which I drained off before leaving the owners house. The gearbox had a lot of swarf on the fill plug which made me wonder if someone had swapped it with the drain plug. When I drained it at home, the oil was milky, so it had taken on some water at sometime in the past, most likely a high pressure car w@$#.
A bunch of stuff needed snugging up, and a few minor spots of rust, but nothing out of the ordinary.
The pusher and car brakes were almost zero. I am pretty sure he must have driven a bit with the parking brake on. The pusher disc has some nice grooves and the pads are about 50%. The brake fluid was a bit off color and bleeding brought out a lot of air bubbles.
I don't know what he had put in the gas, but the exhaust pipes were loaded with a pitch black goo. The spark plugs were loose and black, pistons had black build up. On the trip home the engine light came on, so I stopped and checked oil, etc. but all seemed good. When cooled off, I restarted and
the light was out for a while then came on again. I could find nothing wrong.
When I was able to check the blink code when the light was on, it indicated the ox sensor had a problem. I pulled the plug in the header and it was heavily coated with the black carbon. I brushed it off, shot some carb cleaner on it and reinstalled, Voila! no more warning lamp. Running some straight midgrade petrol and a bit of 55 mph cruising seems to have cleaned things up a good bit.
Gotta love simple technology, cause I am not much of a mechanic.
This machine responds to simple care, glad I saved it from a ham hand.

treebone
Comrade
Comrade

Post by treebone » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:47 pm

A week ago I refilled my damper with hydraulic oil. 100 miles on the road, it appears my simple hydraulic fluid refill is not going to cut it. Function is great, but it is still weeping, although slower, so a rebuild or replacement will be next.

Well, it was worth a shot.

Jayferr
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Jayferr » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:08 pm

My '12 GU wobbled today and I could not accelerate out of the wobble. I have ed the old damper. How do you know when it's tight enough?
2012 GU in FL.
My rides: 84 Goldwing Aspencade 1200 (i broke both wrists on the job. Sold it) 88 GW Interstate 1500 Trike (got ruined in FL '04 Hurricanes) 300 cc IceBear Trike (what was I thinking?) 2004 Bergman with Velorex sidecar (still too small for the Interstate) 2010 CanAm Spyder (rode from South FL to Cow Head, Newfoundland, but too computer run. Smarter than me...sold it) 2005 Shadow 750 with Velorex sidecar (girlfriend said it was too low. Sold it.) 2012 GU.

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:08 pm

Look in 2014+ Hammerin. I have seals and can rebuild the OEM damper or you can do it yourself. No amount of changing out or adding oil will cure bad inner seals and rod wiper o-rings. Takes aboiut an hour when you get the materials together. Seems 30 to 50 wt silicone shock oil was the best. I use 50 in my '14. Dampere is set at 4 nocks from full open and has run fine ever since.

PM if interested.

Hal
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Jayferr
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Jayferr » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:20 am

Not much of a mechanic.....more of an old rider who can turn a wrench and aint afraid to get dirty. But if I can just tighten or loosen before I ride, that dont bother me none. So if that isx an ez fix to preventing the wobble, is there a rule of thumb that fits a '12 GU In terms of how tight or how loose to go? I mean do I just hand tighten her up before each ride? That simple?
2012 GU in FL.
My rides: 84 Goldwing Aspencade 1200 (i broke both wrists on the job. Sold it) 88 GW Interstate 1500 Trike (got ruined in FL '04 Hurricanes) 300 cc IceBear Trike (what was I thinking?) 2004 Bergman with Velorex sidecar (still too small for the Interstate) 2010 CanAm Spyder (rode from South FL to Cow Head, Newfoundland, but too computer run. Smarter than me...sold it) 2005 Shadow 750 with Velorex sidecar (girlfriend said it was too low. Sold it.) 2012 GU.

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:10 am

Jayferr - I think the damper should be effective somewhere in the middle third of its click range. If its above that it should be looked at for either rebuild or replacement. All it's designed to do is prevent speed related wobbles or tank slapping. Each bike does it at a different speed and our individual riding styles also have influence.

Test for leaks by wiping the damper arms off before a ride. Then check periodically with a tissue. If you're getting oil on the tissue then the damper will eventually get low on oil and fail. If enough oil leaks out and air gets in the damper will make a "squishy" sound if you move it quickly back and forth. Either of these is an indication that it needs attention.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Jayferr
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Jayferr » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks for the solid advice.
Will do.
J
2012 GU in FL.