2WD questions

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: 2WD questions

Post by windmill » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:37 pm

RC20 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:17 pm
These are basically just as good for around half the price.
Sometimes known as you get what you pay for.
I've also used grip studs, and aerostitch, and haven't experienced any meaningful difference with my brisk riding style. The only stand out in longevity has been when I drilled a tire and had standard studs shot in.

YMMV, but that's my experience.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

TorontoUral

Post by TorontoUral » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:06 pm

Manscout wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:37 pm
I was up to 50mph on the Highway during our last snow, I kept it in 3rd though. No issues there.
Wow
2006 Patrol
Toronto, Ont

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by stagewex » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:12 am

I only ride in the snow for fun so any highway is not fun for me whether 20 degrees or 80 degrees. Safety factor is not whether my rig can do 35 or 50 mph rather it’s the other idiots on the road not knowing how to drive their cars and s SUV’s in even the lightest snow.
So your original question about 35mph sustained, yeah that’s fine. As long as you are aware that once you encounter a dry patch of road the rig will react much, much differently. Similar to sand suddenly turning into a patch of hard dirt which I’m more accustomed to with woods riding.

I don’t shift into 2WD while riding at speed. Can I, probably buy feel not good mechanically and doing so physically while riding in snow... what’s the hurry. 2007 like mine or 2020, these things ain’t bulletproof.
On my 2019 Jeep I don’t Shift 2 to 4WD while driving either but that’s just an old habit from the olden days. Of course electronically I can but..,
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:11 pm

Well I had to laugh at the Idiots.

I had not noticed they were any smarter on a dry road, higher speeds, thing happen faster and ???????????????
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

TorontoUral

Post by TorontoUral » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:31 pm

stagewex wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:12 am
I only ride in the snow for fun so any highway is not fun for me whether 20 degrees or 80 degrees. Safety factor is not whether my rig can do 35 or 50 mph rather it’s the other idiots on the road not knowing how to drive their cars and s SUV’s in even the lightest snow.
So your original question about 35mph sustained, yeah that’s fine. As long as you are aware that once you encounter a dry patch of road the rig will react much, much differently. Similar to sand suddenly turning into a patch of hard dirt which I’m more accustomed to with woods riding.

I don’t shift into 2WD while riding at speed. Can I, probably buy feel not good mechanically and doing so physically while riding in snow... what’s the hurry. 2007 like mine or 2020, these things ain’t bulletproof.
On my 2019 Jeep I don’t Shift 2 to 4WD while driving either but that’s just an old habit from the olden days. Of course electronically I can but..,

Thx, I was just curious about if i can drive in 2nd or 3rd and shift on the fly between 1WD and 2WD if I see a dry patch coming - I’m only doing short commutes/errands on city streets for the most part. No highway driving at this point.
2006 Patrol
Toronto, Ont

ReCycled

Post by ReCycled » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:33 pm

stagewex wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:12 am
I

I don’t shift into 2WD while riding at speed. Can I, probably buy feel not good mechanically and doing so physically while riding in snow....

I'm going to differ with you here, Mike.

I put in a lot of miles off road with a 1wd rig. Once I realized off road was the primary use of my bike, I converted to 2wd. I questioned that decision for a year as the stock lever was not convenient and even detrimental to the riding experience at times.

The Raceway shifter changed all that. Now I shift in and out of 2wd frequently, always while in motion, sometimes at considerable speed and often with my left hand as i butter the throttle.

Being able to shift on the fly is a game changer.
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:01 pm

ReCycled wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:33 pm
I put in a lot of miles off road with a 1wd rig.
Once I realized off road was the primary use of my bike, I converted to 2wd.

The Raceway shifter changed all that. Now I shift in and out of 2wd frequently, always while in motion, sometimes at considerable speed and often with my left hand as i butter the throttle.

Being able to shift on the fly is a game changer.
David,
If you DIYd the Raceway shifter installation, what's your opinion of the job? Said differently, how good are (or aren't) Raceway's instructions, and the kit design itself? I understand that a bit of fiddling may be necessary for fit, but I'm curious to know to what extent.
TIA.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

ReCycled

Post by ReCycled » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:27 pm

It is a bit lacking on instructions but that can be largely explained as the dual shifter can be set up either way.

My preference is the taller and easier to access shifter for 2wd and the one basically under the tank for reverse. Someone else's priorities may be different.

Frankly I didn't feel the dual shifter was neccessary as I have always been content to heel shift reverse. But I didn't want to purchase the single shifter and then have to source additional hardware to adapt it for 2wd.
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:29 pm

I don't have that shifter David, just the reverse/neutral type so moving the 1WD to 2WD lever leaning back with my hand (the one that I like on the throttle & front brake) or with my left foot has never been a physical option for me, never got the hang of it and it never was a priority to quickly shift like that. I prefer keeping my hands on the bars and feet on the pegs when in motion. If I've been in 2WD more than 30 times in 13 years I'd be surprised. It's not something I do often anyway. Use it when I get stuck or it's 1WD all the way with an occasional snow day.

That's why I said "perhaps I can but I don't". I know physically it ain't gonna work for me and my 2 left feet.
And shifting back & forth 1 to 2 and 1 to 2 and back again I don't have the confidence in the mechanicals where I really want to find out so no need.

Gearbox after all these years has been as steady & reliable as any motorcycle I've ever owned.
The clutch on the other hand has just given up the ghost after our last foray into the Pines last month. But that has nothing to do with 1 or 2 shifting as in this thread. It was "just it's time" I guess at 26,000Km's
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Could someone who has the Raceway 2WD shifter installed on a newer model (14 or newer) post some pictures, please? I am installing one on my 2018 and I am struggling with installing the pivot that replaces the original equipment 2WD lever. I have the new tank levers installed and the reverse hooked up and functioning well. However, I cannot see how the pivot for the 2WD can work without some cutting, so a picture or two of that area will be helpful.
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA