I gots me a Ural.......Finally

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
livelarg
Comrade
Comrade

I gots me a Ural.......Finally

Post by livelarg » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:33 pm

Howdy all.

After years of dreaming of having one of these unique bikes, I finally got one.

Why now you ask? Well, I got finally got a dog! And I ride most of the time, so I need something so I can have my dog with me. And a great deal on 06' popped up on craigslist. So I'm selling my 57' Mercedes 190 sedan to pay for the Ural.

Anyway....I HAVE SEARCHED, but was hoping for a list of upgrades/mods for a new Ural buyer to do to add and positives to this awesomly fun bike.

I'v looked, and saw posts on airbox modtopper, the power arc. Etc.
But it would be awesome if there was a list of things to get to make the bike better or more dependable.

Any mod or upgrade ideas would be welcome.

Thanks
Kent.
2006 Gear Up

RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: I gots me a Ural.......Finally

Post by RC20 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:56 pm

ADDED PHOTOS:
2006 GU.jpeg
2006 GU Front Right.jpeg
2006 GU RF Tubb.jpeg
Hopefully congratulations are in order. Hopefully not taken as a downer or negative, but mods should be down the list someplace.

Always a challenge with Urals unless the newer ones and even those have issues to a degree that tends lower than older ones but not eliminated. What its history if known ownership trail etc.

What condition is it in? First priority is maint and those needs and also should focus on learning to ride it. They have challenges in handling that need to be approached carefully.

And initial assessment as to its state, anything it needs, fluid changes, valve adjustment, tires and get some time on it (does the Dog like it? - not all dogs do though at a guess if they like to ride in a car then more likely a Ural).

Engine, trany and the final drive as well as driveshaft status all come into play that take precedent over any mods or upgrades. No mod or upgrade makes a bad key component work.

For the most part there are limited to performance mods (granted I am not a fan of K&N filters) , its what works (spare tire and rack if it does not have it) usefull stuff, its never going to be a jump in reliability sans putting a new trany, engine or FD in it.

Picture? Big help, Also you should go into the preferences and get your location and what you have (06 GU?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RC20 on Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

bratmanxj

Post by bratmanxj » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:57 pm

Biggest "upgrade" is simply learn to pilot an asymmetrical rig and learn the routine maintenance.

I'm a guy who automatically starts researching my "new toys" and can't keep things stock very long, but what I've realized owning a Ural for a year now is simply make it your own. I've added a sidecar interior and door to make the kid more comfortable in the tub, upgraded some bulbs to LED and added a little more lighting in general. The last group ride I went on it was commented that I must have bought the "Deluxe" edition. Swab out handlebars, risers or grips to suite your needs as all are pretty inexpensive. There are a few options for factory seats, a few have fabricated brackets for H.D. Police or aftermarket solo seats, but find what fits you best.

Engine & Drivetrain stock is probably best and happiest with regular maintenance.

Put your location and bike in your signature so people can help you on info more specific to you....
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Get good eye protection for the dog.

Highly recommend a windscreen. Other than that, ride it for several months and then you can better assess what you may want.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

rivers

Post by rivers » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:18 pm

Congrats, 06 was a good year for Urals. As mentioned there aren't any real performance mods avail just some to improve drivability/smoothness. I suggest service and tune yours to spec. service it with the next up 10,000 km sheet and then spend some seat time learning the bikes quirks before throwing money/mods at it. My first Ural was a used 06 in great mech condition so didn't need much up front. Think that was back in 2010? The PA/C5 ignition was nice upgrade but not absolutely needed. Mine originally came with the Type 5 Ural ign and was fine but a late 06 may have the Ducati ign which is excellent. I did not care much for the stock 'top feeder' airbox. I live in rain country and much prefer the later era Ural 'bottom feeder' airbox. Not a fan of the Modtop airbox either. Make's synching the carbs a pain but some folks do love them. For drivability the best mods I made after a couple thousand km's was to run "one size" larger pilot(idle) and main jets w/2 needle shims. I did switch to a 2 into 1 exhaust but that was mainly for looks and usability, not performance. Otherwise over time it was just normal as needed maint. Plug wires, compliance fittings, donut etc. By 06 Ural already dropped the previous troublesome RPOC alternator for the later and excellent Denso alt. If your 06 has been properly maintained during it's life it will be a great year intro to Ural ownership. On anything 13 years old your new relationship depends on it's past maint, use history and your continued maint and use. For convenience mods if you don't have OEM are the spare tire/wheel and rack, 10L "Nato"aux fuel can,front tub bumper but you'll discover those as you get saddle time. Gonna toss you "my" thoughts for Ural ownership joy. Do the factory recommended service maint "religiously". Then run/use it within it's original design parameters for the utility vehicle it is. As in it's not an Interstate freeway flier. Learn to live with blue highways at 50-55mph. And if 2WD, it's good for bad, muddy, snowy roads when needed but it's NOT a go anywhere anytime locked and loaded 4x4 Jeep crawler. Also don't get hung up on internet performance mods everyone else seems to be doing. That can get crazy expensive and you risk taking a a good properly functioning Ural and turning it into a tuning/maint nightmare.
Go easy and stick with "as needed" mods.
Enjoy your 06!
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

hillbillybob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by hillbillybob » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:39 pm

I think "rivers" pretty much said it all. Follow his advice.
Current Rides:
2006 Ural Troyka "Boris"
2000 BMW R1200C "Schultz"
1999 BMW R1200C "Dooley"
2011 Chinese 150cc Scooter "Johnny" (16,338 breakdown free miles)

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:43 pm

Unique is the word alright. :cheers: My '06 was a great bike, which I owned for five years. I loved the wine of Russian cast iron gears going down the road. Handling was a bit rugged, stiff suspension and you didn't steer it down the road but you more or less herded it down the road. In that respect I am happier with my '11 and '13 Urals. Welcome to the Ural commune. :party:
Last edited by Wildhorse Cafe on Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:46 pm

Congratulations. And yeah... if you get a dog then you absolutely have to get a sidecar, HaHa.

Ride Safe & Happy
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

wooden nickel

Post by wooden nickel » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Welcome Kent,
My first Ural was a new 06 and I kept it for 8 years until the 14s came out with all disc brakes and EFI. It was a good bike and the last time I checked, it was still running in Florida.
Mine came with the bottom feed air cleaner so maybe yours did too. It had a fake inlet cover on top but I removed it because it was just more bolts to come loose in the intakes. You can get plastic plugs to fill the two bolt holes at a hardware or building supply.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:56 pm

Congratulations on your rig!!
Enjoy!!!
2014 Ural Patrol
Green Valley
Henderson, Nevada

harryball

Post by harryball » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:29 pm

Congrats, enjoy, pictures?
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

livelarg
Comrade
Comrade

Post by livelarg » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:48 pm

Thank you all for the advice and info. This has been a dream bike for a while, so pretty happy.

This was owned by a retired military helicopter pilot. and it is in perfect condition, I will be working hard to keep it in as good of shape.

Here are a couple of pics. I can't get them to embed, sorry, could only link to them.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AuAdz6BUyemroDJ59

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vw97w7GGxKd81Byt5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iT7u4hwLNQeWfpUA8

I do like to meddle with new projects, maybe I need to just enjoy it for a while before I mess with anything.
Last edited by livelarg on Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
2006 Gear Up

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:52 pm

Congratulations!

Very good looking rig!!Enjoy!
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:11 am

That's a nice looking rig 8)
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 155,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Hot dang! That is nicer looking that my 2011 that I am constantly cleaning.
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo