iridium Spark Plugs

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: iridium Spark Plugs

Post by sKiZo » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:54 pm

Wish they'd been standard equipment on my Olds Aurora. Spent the best part of an eight hour day changing the plugs and wires. With iridium plugs and high end wires I might add, as I wasn't about to go thru that again if I could help it. Pretty much had to gut the firewall to get at the rear bank, eh.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

GHGoodwin
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by GHGoodwin » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:44 am

sKiZo wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:54 pm
Wish they'd been standard equipment on my Olds Aurora. Spent the best part of an eight hour day changing the plugs and wires. With iridium plugs and high end wires I might add, as I wasn't about to go thru that again if I could help it. Pretty much had to gut the firewall to get at the rear bank, eh.
Pinto. Had to drop the exhaust manifold to get to plug number 4.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:52 pm

1969 Mustang Mach One w/351 ... had to cut holes in the shock towers AND pretty much gut the inside fender wells to get all the plugs and UCA grease fittings ... On the bright side, you could at least get to where you could drill the holes by just removing the wheels.

Next? <G> :lurker:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

mattzahr
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by mattzahr » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:52 pm

Put some iridium plugs in today for my 20k maint.

I must say that I was not necessarily a believer - until now. Nothing drastic, but enough to feel smoother throttle response at low RPM's.

My dealer had sold them to me last year and said to expect some differences in response and fuel burn - I'll be curious if the smooth response will continue.
'16 cT - Terracotta 22k and climbing
Former bikes
2005 HD Springer Classic
1983 BMW R80RT
1998 Ural Italia
Other toys
2014 EZ GO Golf Cart Limo (gas)

mattzahr
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by mattzahr » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:17 am

Follow up - 3 days of out and around riding - 400 km on the clock added.

Throttle response is much improved - still no popping - maybe they are gapped better? Will check the old plugs for gap, but I had done that prior to placing in at 10k service. Nothing scientific on gas mileage, but it appears at first glance that there is a 5+% increase. Now if I can get he chance to put a few thousand more on before the heat wave hits....
Former bikes
2005 HD Springer Classic
1983 BMW R80RT
1998 Ural Italia
Other toys

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:43 pm

I'm of the opinion that plain old NGK spark plugs last a long, long time on a Ural.
I change them every 3 years, mostly just to appease the nagging feeling that "new plugs couldn't hurt."
Every year or so I will take emery paper, fold it, run it back and forth in the gap, cleaning electrodes, then gap and reinstall.

The reality is they look OK with no ceramic damage, no erosion of the electrodes at the 12 and 36 month intervals.
I notice absolutely no performance difference installing new plugs over old plugs.
My "spare" plugs I carry are the cleanest, least rusty plugs I've removed while bike was running perfectly, so I know they work.

If you think about it logically, the only way a spark plug can improve performance is to "ignite the fuel mixture better."
How much better can an iridium spark plug ignite gasoline (which is pretty easy to ignite) than a regular plug?
Claims like hotter spark, longer spark, don't make much sense, as there is only "X" amount of power going to the plug.
Even NGK just says "Fine iridium tip ensures high durability and a consistently stable spark" and "Iridium’s extremely high melting point is perfectly suited to today’s high-temperature engines."
The Ural isn't a high temp engine (OK arguably the newer ones with reworked heads), despite what the heat coming off those fins in August is telling you.
I can't see Iridium wringing a measurable amount of performance out of the Ural.

I only ever noticed one improvement in the ignition area, and that was replacing my stock ignition wires with NGK wires.
And that was only because the old wires had laid on the fins a few times and melted, causing electrical shorts in the wire (that I found the hard way).
i don't think the NGK wires were better than stock, it was just the stock ones would "leak" when they got wet or too close to the fins.

windmill

Post by windmill » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:41 pm

There seems to be enough credibility in the claims they do have meaningful advantages that they are OE spec for many late model cars.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

mattzahr
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by mattzahr » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:16 pm

"The reality is they look OK with no ceramic damage, no erosion of the electrodes at the 12 and 36 month intervals.
I notice absolutely no performance difference installing new plugs over old plugs.
My "spare" plugs I carry are the cleanest, least rusty plugs I've removed while bike was running perfectly, so I know they work."

I follow that train of logic as well. I placed my "old" plugs in the trunk pouch just in case. Being an old VW guy, I used to carry spare plugs, voltage regulator (located under driver side passenger seat), 30 wt oil, and window cranks....felt like a damned Gypsy rolling down the road.

I'm not sure what the difference is, but there IS one. I don't know - when I finally checked, the old plugs have the correct gap per specs - they weren't that old!
Former bikes
2005 HD Springer Classic
1983 BMW R80RT
1998 Ural Italia
Other toys