Jumping Right In

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Dante41

Jumping Right In

Post by Dante41 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:26 am

Howdy Y'all!

I've been casually interested in Urals for years, but I never really had the ability or the funds to get into them. Now, I have both. I got off my butt and learned to ride specifically because of the classic BMW airhead twins, and the Ural has really ignited my interest because they're essentially modern builds of the old BMW bikes. Hopefully I'll have one within the next two months!

Now, that said, I am looking around at a few bikes, although I think I just missed the buying season. I've tried to go down to Gulf Coast twice to test ride one of their used ones, but they seem to sell those in under a day now so I've missed both of them. (I'd really like a Solo, but those turn up like once in a blue moon apparently.) I like the look of that red 2006 Tourist Heindl has and I've looked at the ones currently for sale from members.

Generally speaking, the ones built after 2005 are what I should be focusing on, right? My eventual goal is to order one new from the factory, but I don't want to wait until then to start getting sidecar experience.
Ain't nothin' here...yet

URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Jumping Right In

Post by URALNUT60 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:04 am

Move the goal post to 2007 first year ducati ignition, newer the better, better clutch plates, hardware change later on, newer the better!

RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by RC20 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:34 am

First warning is its like nothing you have ever ridden before. I would call it more correctly the same form as BMW old airheads, but significant differences in internals, gear and FD as well as suspension. With FI my opinion is even the last gen FI is better than the carbs on the R80GS we had. It got warm and it would not idle down right. Ok on the road but annoying in town. On the flip side the suspension was very sophisticated and extremely effective on bad AK roads (I can see why they won Paris Dakar)

I figure I am a couple thousand miles away from getting full handle on it but am safe at this point. Hoot to run in snow with studs.

I know of a 2016 GU that might be for sale in Alaska. Owner rep was thinking 14k but I am thinking more 12k. It has 350 miles on it (sad story of a guy I knew years back who got the cycle and then got ill before he could ride it and has passed). His daughter is technically the owner and son in law who I have known for 35 years is handling the sale.

If interested I can call the owners rep.

Shipping of course is an cost factor. But a fly to AK and a ride down the Highway would be a grand trip.

One option is Anchorage to Haines (750 miles of grand country) and onto the Ferry to Bellingham Washington.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Lee Pape
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Lee Pape » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:49 am

I’m guessing that you must be from Texas. Are you thinking of having a bike shipped to you or going to get it yourself? A fly and ride is not a good option for a lot of the country right now unless you are willing to deal with the cold and possible snow.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:00 am

Welcome to you.
Not sure if there is ever is a "buying season" for a Ural unless you mean new and the dealer ran out of them.

Buying used just be patient, no different than buying any other motorcycle or car or boat. Care and maintenance is key. Physical bolt-on mods are nice but performance improvements to lets say a "carbie" (up to 2013) means more than pretty. These things always had quirks coming right out of the crate and I don't care what year brand-new or old. Owners here have come up with some great ideas improving them.

Personally if you are interested in a Solo I'd invest in a /2 or /5 BMW. You will certainly get back if not improve your investment over time.
Not so much with a Ural Solo. The uniqueness of a Ural is the sidecar/hack

Good Luck with your search.
1WD or 2WD?
"carbie" or EFI?
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:26 am

What about the 2013 in the “black market” here. It’s in north Georgia.
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:59 am

Another option would be a retro or M70, which makes a decent solo if you unbolt the tub.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:49 pm

IF it's a SOLO BOXER you want - IMO - You should shop for a /5/6/7 BMW. Nice used ones CAN be found for under $5K. They are much better solo boxers than a Ural - lighter, made better, & MUCH FASTER + handle better. Also hold their value & are worth any improvements you do.
Urals started as a licensed copy of a pre WWII, R71 BMW - then were parallel engineered AS A SIDECAR TUG. I have ridden SOLO URALS & found them to be Miserable in comparison to solo BMW Boxers. I like URALS for what they are designed for - & good at. They are the last bike in the world I'd choose to own for a Solo. BMWs are just far better at it
IF you want a very nice solo NEW Retro Bike (civilian or military style) check out ROYAL ENFIELD. they are light & nimble, reliable, & do highway speeds.
I've been riding 55 years - & this is my truthful experienced & sincere opinion. Hopefully to your Benefit.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Dante41

Post by Dante41 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:46 pm

Thanks for the responses and welcomes!

It's funny you should mention the Retro; I was actually looking at one. Gulf Coast BMW in Houston got a 2011 in stock for a very good price...but it got sold like 2 days later before I could get off my butt to go down and take a look at it. That's the second time that's happened; I missed a 2013 Gear Up in the same way, although in my defense that one literally sold the day after it was listed.

I'm not planning to fly and ride, no. Not during winter at least. I was always planning on having it shipped, even if that does add at least another $1000 to the price.

As for what I'm interested in...I'm not really sure! I'd prefer 1WD, but that's really the only thing I can say for sure on. Other than that, I guess it really comes down to price, condition, and if I like the color. I've always owned fuel injected vehicles (save for an MGB with an automatic choke), but I'm fine with learning to deal with carbs too. It's pretty good freedom, although it has almost lead me astray. Down in Corpus there was a 1999 model that had apparently not been ridden often the past couple of years. I know in my head that would have been a BAD decision for the price, but I did still really like its black paint job and white pinstriping. It's very lucky for me someone else bought it before I could email the owner to ask about it.

I did see that black one in the forum! It's on my consideration list now for sure.

Thank you RC, but I think that one's a little too expensive for me at this juncture, especially considering the distance. I would like to ride the Dalton Highway some time in the future, though.

Yeah, I probably will wind up getting a /2 somewhere along the line instead of a Solo. It would probably cost roughly the same and be an all-around better bike for solo riding. Thankfully I'm am also interested in the sidecar rigs too; the extra stability and cargo capacity are big pluses for me!

Thanks again for the welcomes!
Ain't nothin' here...yet

rivers

Post by rivers » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:30 pm

Dante41 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:26 am
I got off my butt and learned to ride specifically because of the classic BMW airhead twins, and the Ural has really ignited my interest because they're essentially modern builds of the old BMW bikes.
Wrong... A Ural is NOT a modern version of an old BMW. It's a more modern version of an old Ural. Metallurgy, build quality etc of a Ural isn't remotely comparable to a BMW. If airhead BMW solos excite you, buy a /2,/5, /7 or later R series. Yes much more money than a Ural but you'll likely be much happier though poorer long term. Now if you want a sidecar outfit go Ural and deal with it's short comings. Point being a Ural is not a poor mans BMW.
Also don't think a cheap solo entry is buying a sidecar built Ural and just removing the tub. The Ural LL forks are NOT the same as the ones on early BMW's. BMW forks are adjustable for use with or w/o a sidecar. Ural LL forks are not adjustable and are seriously scary "twitchy" in curves. So at least plan on also retro swapping to tele forks for solo use. I like Ural outfits for my use as an all around transpo/utility rig and recommend them but for use as a solo bike a Ural would be near the bottom of my want list. Decide what you really want solo or Sidecar, then decide where/how to spend your money.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Dante41

Post by Dante41 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:45 am

rivers wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:30 pm
Dante41 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:26 am
I got off my butt and learned to ride specifically because of the classic BMW airhead twins, and the Ural has really ignited my interest because they're essentially modern builds of the old BMW bikes.
Wrong... A Ural is NOT a modern version of an old BMW. It's a more modern version of an old Ural. Metallurgy, build quality etc of a Ural isn't remotely comparable to a BMW. If airhead BMW solos excite you, buy a /2,/5, /7 or later R series. Yes much more money than a Ural but you'll likely be much happier though poorer long term. Now if you want a sidecar outfit go Ural and deal with it's short comings. Point being a Ural is not a poor mans BMW.
Also don't think a cheap solo entry is buying a sidecar built Ural and just removing the tub. The Ural LL forks are NOT the same as the ones on early BMW's. BMW forks are adjustable for use with or w/o a sidecar. Ural LL forks are not adjustable and are seriously scary "twitchy" in curves. So at least plan on also retro swapping to tele forks for solo use. I like Ural outfits for my use as an all around transpo/utility rig and recommend them but for use as a solo bike a Ural would be near the bottom of my want list. Decide what you really want solo or Sidecar, then decide where/how to spend your money.
I don't mean modern in the sense of it's updated in any real major way, I mean modern in the sense that it's new production of the same ancient design. I know it's not really a poor man's BMW either; they cost roughly the same as a R60/2 in rideable condition.

All that said, however, Ural sidecar rigs do interest me. I like the stability they give, and the thought of taking them on backroads expeditions sounds really fun. The cargo capacity is also a major bonus that regular bikes don't have access to either.
Ain't nothin' here...yet

zsieffert
Party Member
Party Member

Post by zsieffert » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:19 am

If you’re that interested in these weird bikes, then that ‘13 T in north Georgia is worth a serious look before it’s gone. I actually can’t believe that it’s still up for sale. For a 6 year old rig that seems to be in great shape, well broken in, and with 20Km on the odo anything that was wrong with it has more than likely been fixed, the price (IMO) is SPOT ON. Offer cash on hand and you may even get it for less.
'07 black Patrol "Zevon"

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:21 pm

Yeah, I probably will wind up getting a /2 somewhere along the line instead of a Solo. It would probably cost roughly the same
I know it's not really a poor man's BMW either; they cost roughly the same as a R60/2 in rideable condition.
I think you need to do more research ... you're in for a surprise; $10K ^ is the norm.

Non-running /2 models; about half that, i.e.

/2 models are getting harder, and harder to find; they're a popular bike to convert to /5 engine (not a simple conversion). /5 models are easier to locate but they're not as robust as the /2 and not really suitable for sidecar tugs (although sub-frames are available).
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:09 pm

Lee Pape wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:49 am
I’m guessing that you must be from Texas. Are you thinking of having a bike shipped to you or going to get it yourself? A fly and ride is not a good option for a lot of the country right now unless you are willing to deal with the cold and possible snow.
I was not suggesting now :roll:

Probably -40 in Canada :|

Actually I looked it up and its quite balmy on the Alcan. -4 F in Watson lake.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:16 pm

Thank you RC, but I think that one's a little too expensive for me at this juncture, especially considering the distance. I would like to ride the Dalton Highway some time in the future, though.
You want to go to Prudhoe bay?
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta