Winter Salted Roads

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Mckaylodge

Winter Salted Roads

Post by Mckaylodge » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:51 pm

I’m uncertain how well protected the Ural steel and construction is against winter salted roads. I’m hesitant to take my new 1918 Retro out now that my area roads have been heavily salted. There is no warm water car w@$# near me where I can rinse off.

Can anyone report either salt corrosion issues or else year-after-year of corrosion-free riding winter salted roads, wet or dry? One FB commenter stated his Ural was “destroyed” by road salts.

I replied to a Ural site FB post identifying a leading salts rinse aid (Chlor*Rid - that’s how it’s spelled) and my company’s years of real time exposure testing of corrosion inhibitor coatings (brush applied). The leader in protection remains Ship-2-Shore available from British Columbia with Fluid Film following in second place and easier to obtain in the U.S. I keep a small tub of Ship-2-Shore with brush in the shop and apply it to my vintage Indians here and there which I do winter ride. But those are kind of oily anyhow compared with the clean, dry, new, expensive Retro.

Thanks.
2018 Ural Retro M70 - My first "modern" bike!
Also riding:
1928 Indian 101 Scout
1939 Indian Chief "Police"
1941 Indian Scout (stroked)
1946 Indian Chief (stroked)
1947 Indian Chief
1948 EL Panhead
bobsindians.blogspot.com
New Russia Township
Outside of Oberlin, Ohio

lendrinkard
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Winter Salted Roads

Post by lendrinkard » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:20 pm

Other than paint, Urals have no rust protection. :(

I sprayed mine with mat polyurethane and coated the bolts with boat varnish.
2012 Gear up
130/40 jet, 3 shims, no mid-pipe, drilled slider, 2013 Branch pipes, all LED lights

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:15 pm

Soak it in ACF50.

Then don't go out! :D

I'll go out if it's dry, or rain has w@$#ed it off the roads, but don't want to if it's been gritted.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:29 pm

lendrinkard wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:20 pm
Other than paint, Urals have no rust protection. :(
The paint on mine just hid the rust while it did it's dirty deed. But what's the point of a Ural if you can't take it out in the winter? It'll rust away, I'll buy another one.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now an 87 K75s, DB Haanjo gravel bike, and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

DrFaulken

Post by DrFaulken » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:25 pm

I have a *ton* of rust on my 2018 from riding last year ; almost every part of the bike has rust on it to some degree at this point. Everything from the exhaust to the trim fasteners, all 3 fenders, etc.

This bike is not meant to be ridden on salted roads at all, but that's one of the main reasons I bought it, soooo here we are.

I applied ACF50 on my bike in late fall. I think it *helps* to apply it, depending on how much you ride. The thing I did not consider was how to reapply it as the season wore on. I feel like if one had access to a heated garage for w@$#ing and reapplication it would help.

For reference, I rode at least once a week, every week, the entire road salt season in Minnesota (November - April).
America By Sidecar -- follow us! Instagram || YouTube || Facebook || Blog

2018 Ural GearUp Sahara

Site supporter: 2018, 2019

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:38 pm

My 2011's been thru a few Michigan winters with nothing more that the occasional spot of rust due to dings. I did strip and repaint the trunk (both inside and out) as for whatever reason, the original finish was falling right off the metal. Surprisingly, no rust!

** I used black "gravel guard" textured paint for the repair. Stuff's pretty much indestructible and gives a nice textured finish. Looks like factory rust proofing on the underside ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

Claus

Post by Claus » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:09 am

My wife´s Ural has been to many winter rallyes all over Europe. I treat it with fluid film A that I spray onto everything (fuel tank taken off) and I mix clear body w@* with fluid film and brush it inside the fenders.
Fluid film doesn´t stay on for a long time, so I redo the treatment twice or so during winter.
This doesn´t stop rust completely but after removing the fluid film in spring, the damage is like I can live with it. The rig is now 18 years old and still there.
My own Ural has not been protected at all over all the yaers, resulting in the need to change all metal sheet parts twice. This was not worth a thought at the end of the 90ies because the German market was flooded with cheap rigs from Russia and the Baltic States. Now things have become quite expensive so I think about spraying it with fluid film as well. (as I have the third body set in use and want to keep it)
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:36 am

No salt for mine. As someone on this forum once said Russian sheet metal is yak cheese.

Bikes are away for the winter and will stay off the roads until spring rains w@$# away the salt. Yard riding is still done.

Hal
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:46 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:15 pm
Soak it in ACF50.

Now there is a plan that makes sense :)

-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

Bullethead

Post by Bullethead » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:02 pm

We live just a few miles north of the Retsof salt mine. So....its being so readily available, around here they spread salt before, during and for several days after any significant snow/ice event. That and our world-class load of winter precipitation makes for one hell of a hostile environment for anything metal and mobile. Still, if I carefully pick my shots, I can get out for a ride. That said, the scooters and the XS have never shown an major rust issues. However, I am most definitely leery about cruising the Ural. I’ve heard the stories. Last year we did a few days throughout the winter, but I think we’ll be keeping “The Black Pearl” away from any potential salt white w@$#.
Way Out Western NY
2018 Gear Up; The Black Pearl
1977 Yamaha XS650D
2002 Honda Metropolitan II
2012 Genuine Stella 4T
2012 Vespa LX 150

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:06 pm

Happytrails wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:46 pm
Mr Wazzock wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:15 pm
Soak it in ACF50.

Now there is a plan that makes sense :)

That guy HAS to be a Ural owner. :boogie:

I don't ride in the winters. But, I did a thorough inspection of my 2000 Tourist when I got it about 8 years ago. The places where rust reared its ugly head were at the spot welded seams along the bottom sides of the hack, and where every penetrations went thru the floor. The tubs are painted after they are assembled from various sheetmetal stampings. This means that every lap type seam is unpainted at the mating surfaces. Salt water from road spray or even powdered salt on the surface that then dissolves in rain water will get sucked into those seams and have its way with the base metal while you are totally unaware of what is going on. I'm sure that you know all about this based upon your background. We'd traded emails over on the Virtual Indian Group.

I took the tub off, and chipped and flaked off all the loose paint. I wire brushed any serious rust and then went over all the rust with a rust converter. Once that was done, I sealed all those lapped seams with automotive urethane seam sealer and then painted the areas with black Rustoleum. My bike is black. Did the same, short of using the sealant, on any other areas where the plaint was loose and/or rust had begun.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

xpatriot
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by xpatriot » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:03 pm

I have a 2001 right now that I won't take on salted roads (actually here they use Calcium Chloride which will eat through concrete).

When I had my former Ural, the first thing I did was go over every seem I could find with another layer of paint (bike was white, so pretty easy). I then sprayed the heck out of it with Boshield.

It didn't help....it still rusted.
2001 Patrol with ‘03 Wolf motor “The Beast of the East”