Difficulty shifting into neutral/reverse

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Difficulty shifting into neutral/reverse

Post by chaos2 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:38 pm

sKiZo wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:12 am

PS - I hear tell there's an extra neutral or two lurking between gears. Any truth to that? Can't say I've experienced that myself.
Once your shift forks get worn or bent your transmission will go into "auto false neutral finder mode" and jump out of gear into a random neutral when it is least convenient for you. :lol:
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now an 87 K75s, DB Haanjo gravel bike, and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Lofty » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:15 pm

Years ago, I owned a 1983 Toyota Corolla with a manual transmission. The car was gifted to me. 'Twas an easy choice for the owner since it hadn't been well taken care of for most of its life. Much of my automotive maintenance & repair apprenticeship was served with that car, all in the service of simply keeping it roadworthy.

I daresay I performed a few miracles in my apartment parking lot with nothing more than a ChiCom tool kit, a Haynes manual and my own will to get things done.

Some lessons were easy, others...well, I was fortunate to dodge a bullet or three.

The transmission eventually refused to stay in 1st gear. I would have to hold the lever in place when in first, otherwise, it would jump/slip into Neutral. I made do until the car was traded in when buying a truck. I accepted the $400.00 trade-in valuation and didn't look back.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:08 pm

Been wanting to do a custom design tank shift knob for a winter project and think I've now settled on a design ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:49 pm

Lol. I too fall victim to the false neutral between 2nd and 3rd occasionally. Usually when I get in a hurry and don’t press as firmly as usual. I can feel it when it happens (before letting the clutch go). I usually just go up to 4th and downshift back to 3rd (without releasing the clutch).
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:18 pm

Only real problem I've had with the tank shifter is occasionally hitting the kill switch when returning my hand to the grip. dOH!

My aim's improved since, and I'll just add that to my list of oddities when it comes to driving one of these things.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.