First Ural & side car rig.

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Robert Whitten
Comrade
Comrade

First Ural & side car rig.

Post by Robert Whitten » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:08 pm

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Robert Whitten from TN. Retired from a nuke plant as a Mechanical Instructor. Haven't been without a motorcycle since 12 year old. Will be 66 2nd of November. I presently have 17 motorcycles counting the 2004 Ural Troyka I just bought. It has 6700 something on the clock. 10 BMW's, 3 Harleys, a Honda, a Kawasaki & a Suzuki. All are older. Newest I have is 2004 Beemer not counting the Ural. I have a fairly large shop (40x60) fully stocked with tools, welders, bike lift & such. I do all my own repairs & servicing.

As a self proclaimed research freak, I'm looking forward to learning about the Ural & enjoying rambling around on it. Thanks for having me.
KINDLE_CAMERA_1570097949000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
04 Troika,
10 BMW's
3 Harleys
1 Honda
1 Kawasaki
1 Suzuki

SidecarDan
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: First Ural & side car rig.

Post by SidecarDan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:06 am

Welcome, once you find out how much fun a Ural is you may want to thin the herd from lack of use as they will only collect dust.
Dan
2012 Forest Fog Gear-Up
128/42 jets
7/64ths drilled slides
2013 branch pipes
Yamaha petcock

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by harryball » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:00 am

Welcome! Where bouts in TN? We ride through there ever so often. May have to stop by and see your motorcycle museum. :D
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:12 am

Greetings! :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Robert Whitten
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Robert Whitten » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:30 am

Harryball, I'm just above Florence AL in the edge of TN. Out in the country.
04 Troika,
10 BMW's
3 Harleys
1 Honda
1 Kawasaki
1 Suzuki

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by harryball » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:58 am

You're not far from Natchez Trace then. We rode by this past July/August on our way back from St Paul MN. Beautiful country. Sounds like you are volunteering to host a Natchez Trace ride! (You gotta watch us Ural owners, we can be a pushy bunch). :P
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

DrFaulken

Post by DrFaulken » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:50 am

Welcome!
America By Sidecar -- follow us! Instagram || YouTube || Facebook || Blog

2018 Ural GearUp Sahara

Site supporter: 2018, 2019

Robert Whitten
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Robert Whitten » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:07 pm

I'd be game for that. I'm 8 mile from the Natchez Trace. I also have plenty camping areas. I'll look @ something in the spring. I know the Trace very well as I've ran it from end to end numerous times. Wife & I had cancer @ the same time & was making a trip almost every week up the Trace to Vandy for a very long time. We didn't know cancer was catching until we both had it together. :-) She lost a Tata & I lost my bladder. All is good now. I often go down the trace for rides. Went to a BMW Swamp Scooter rally for years in Louisiana.
04 Troika,
10 BMW's
3 Harleys
1 Honda
1 Kawasaki
1 Suzuki

Marine Corps Codu

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:29 pm

Welcome to the insanity, Robert! It sounds like you have quite a collection! I reckon you will be able to help some of us in the future with figuring out how to do some of the elusive things we discover on our contraptions!
Again, welcome and glad you and your bride both beat cancer.
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1947 Cushman Motor Scooter
1958 Cushman Motor Scooter
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ100
1960 Honda 55 (2 of them)
2002 Honda Gold Wing
2006 Ural Patrol
2005 BMW GS1200
2018 Ural Gear Up

Robert Whitten
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Robert Whitten » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:19 pm

Thanks for all the welcomes & kind words. Keith, looks like you have quite a collection also. A few of mine are in various states of repair as I also collect antique tractors, refurbish old gas lanterns & stoves. 2 CJ Jeeps, several 4 wheelers, a Kawasaki mule & other junk. A fella can get overloaded quick. Got behind while battling the cancer for 6 year but slowly gaining ground on them. Being a Machinist by original trade, I've also got a mill & lathe in my shop to make an occasional part.

When I pass on, I want to be behind so I always have something to do. Body going to scrap but trying to keep the brain from following suit. :-)
04 Troika,
10 BMW's
3 Harleys
1 Honda
1 Kawasaki
1 Suzuki

Marine Corps Codu

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:35 pm

When I pass on, I want to be behind so I always have something to do. Body going to scrap but trying to keep the brain from following suit. :-)
/quote]

Having a positive attitude like you certainly helps when battling for one's life. As they say "down under" GOOD ON YOU!

And having a LOT of "stuff" to do keeps one from allowing the 'stinkin' thinkin' from creeping in.
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1947 Cushman Motor Scooter
1958 Cushman Motor Scooter
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ100
1960 Honda 55 (2 of them)
2002 Honda Gold Wing
2006 Ural Patrol
2005 BMW GS1200
2018 Ural Gear Up

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:51 pm

Man, I envy you the collection and the shop. sigh (this is my lean to to protect mine) . Beautiful Ural you got there.
PA160267.JPG
My advice is short rides on the Ural until you learn the side car ops. Not because of strain but the need to assimilate how they work.

I just hung up work at age 67, got a Ural, tried to kill myself 3 times fairly seriously on the way back to AK (would not have missed it for the world, had a grand time)

I had a widely varied career which included operating just about every type of equipment on the planet (I never got to run a drag line of any type)

Nothing is like a side car. Motorcycle experience is good for the heads up pay 100% attention to whats going on but the handling is just a different universe. Not vicious or unmanageable but different.

Slow speeds and really needing to pull the bars is still one lingering that I have one corner that is challenging me so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Robert Whitten
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Robert Whitten » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:19 pm

Thank you RC20. I appreciate all the information. Brought it home Tuesdays evening late. I've rode about 75 mile on it so far. Rained all day Friday & Saturday so didn't get to ride those days. I'm familiar with driving instead of riding a bike as I've got a custom BMW trike I had built some years ago. The pulling right & left on up & down shifts will take some getting familiar with. I'm planning on going to a parking lot to practice flying the chair for the right turns. In the mean time I'm using a case of water to help with counter balancing.

Robert from TN
04 Troika,
10 BMW's
3 Harleys
1 Honda
1 Kawasaki
1 Suzuki

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:19 pm

Well done. 75 miles is a great start. Sounds like you have a good handle on things. I quit work (they offered no retirement!) and plan on having as much enjoyment out of it as I can until I am forced to hang it up.

My take is the right turn problem is fixable/dealable while the rest of the handling never changes.

All I read focused more on the right turn hazard and ignored the rest of it so I was not well prepared for that part.

So I focus on that other handling for those not fully committed yet (grin) . I have yet to have a right turn rise up that I did not deliberately invoke (some weight and some empty care) but I sure have had my share of the others.

The long lever movement of the side car wheel is another one. I had to yank my leg back when I pulled off and it went up and I thought I was going over (and there goes a leg if it does so a bit of bent machinery is vastly better than a wiped out leg)

I have driven wide rigs so I thought I had a good take on the side car tire location wise, First thing out of the dealer I ran it up the first part of a concrete barricade. Fortunately my reflexes are good and those things are sloped a bit at the bottom and I got right off it. I did not have quite enough mental where it was at out there.

Leaving driveways I had it too far, nasty thump as it came down off the curb. While I can see the side car nose out of the corner of my eye, the tire is another foot or so past that. I have that down pretty good now and have not had any issues in a while.

If straining your brain is good for you I certainly picked the right ride. Probably better than learning to play the Accordion my wife chose.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:59 pm

Welcome, Mr. Whitten.

I may solicit your advice, if or when I'm ever fortunate enough to ride any portion of the Natchez Trace. Being active on ADV Rider, it's a known popular destination even within the dual sport community (my first love, per the Suzuki in my sig line.)

Shiny sides up, Sir.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)