New to Urals

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
mquinn6

New to Urals

Post by mquinn6 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:53 am

Most of my friends believe I am nuts even looking at a Ural. I know they are not the most dependable/reliable/well built bike on the market. I currently drive a 96 BMW R1100RS and it has been flawless (now for 150,000 miles that I put on it).

I am pretty decent with a wrench - and am getting ready to deep dive into this site to figure out which ones to REALLY stay away from - as well as what to do to make them more reliable. I do not intend to cross country tour with it - but do want to have something that I can enjoy.

Looking forward to learning - then helping others later. Thanks for hosting this site!

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: New to Urals

Post by chaos2 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:07 am

Generally the newer the better, but every one seems to have it's own quirks. You sound about where I was 7 years ago when I bought mine, coming from a dead reliable BMW and friends thinking I was nuts. Loved every minute of owning it and never looked back, but I did keep the beemer for highways and fetching parts.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now an 87 K75s, DB Haanjo gravel bike, and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by stagewex » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:21 am

Start here (below link) and then ask questions later.

http://www.crawfordsales.info/?page_id=54

BMW is a very easy transition to it's Step-Cousin Ural.
My 2007 Patrol was and is more reliable that the r1100rt that I used to own BTW.

Pick your year, model and then the way it had been maintained carefully. Ya know, like you would for a BMW or for that matter any motorcycle or car.

Also, add you location in your signature. There may be a forum member with a rig right by you, ya never know.
Happy Hunting
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250
2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:30 am

Sounds like you’re going into this with your eyes open... which is a very good thing...

There are several members who have done a “cross country” tour on their Urals... myself included... we purchased our Arctic in Bellingham, WA and set off for our home in a Denver suburb... two weeks and 3,500k later we pulled into our driveway... not even a hiccup from our Ural...it was one of the most memorable and enjoyable motorcycle rides I’ve done...

12 years and 85k later and the engine still fires off at the touch on the electric foot... any worn or broken bits (VERY few) have been replaced in my garage with little drama... and the cost of replacement parts has been less than one service appointment for my K75S at the local BMW dealer...

The ONE THING I took away from research prior to buying our rig is: “dealer setup is paramount”... getting things right from the get-go is important...

I’ve used my rig for commuting mostly but have trailered it behind our motor home to enjoy as our vacation “toad”...

One last word of caution: these things aren’t for introverts... everybody’s gonna want to talk to you whenever you stop for more than eight seconds... (I’ve had people jump out of their cars at red lights to snap a quick photo)... 8)
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:47 am

Welcome to the forum.
mquinn6 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:53 am
Most of my friends believe I am nuts [for] even looking at a Ural.
To the extent that my friends have explicitly commented on my purchase and ownership of a 2018 Gear Up, they've expressed admiration and support. Most of them don't ride, though, so perhaps their perceptions are limited to the fun of riding in a sidecar.

One pre-purchase task that I set for myself is to read the Owner's Manual of the machine that I'm interested in owning. I do this because I like to get a bead on what the recurring maintenance requirements are, and to what extent (via the text & photos in the manual) the factory believes the owner is capable of performing. IMZ-Ural wins the prize, both in terms of ease of accessing their documentation, and the sheer scope of content in the Owner's Manuals.

Give a thought to scrolling through one; it may be time well-spent for a fellow wrench turner like yourself.

https://www.imz-ural.com/owners-manuals
https://www.imz-ural.com/2019-brochures

Best of luck to you.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:55 pm

not the most dependable/reliable/well built bike on the market
LOL. I think mine is. I've had worse! :lol:

2016 EFI model.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:11 pm

Welcome. Hey I am over in Pinehurst NC. have owned a ural since 06 and it is the best purchase I ever made. have I had my share of problems..............sure. However, with the help of friends and my own meager mechanical skills I have overcome them all. It is pretty simple. if you are in the neighborhood, swing on by and you can get up close and personal.

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:30 pm

Ural's charm is they are not rice burners. They are fussy and take some up keep but I find that more relaxing than a bike you can ride hard and put up wet.
2011 Patrol Higgs Bison Super Collider formally known as the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

RC20

Post by RC20 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:27 pm

You have a coin flip decision but if you take your time and buy a well cared for machine that has a good history then your odds are good (you can tell looking at a machine and talking to the owner).

That said the handling is totally different than anything out there and is a major challenge. Pretty much your heads up staying alive (and some gear) is what you bring to herding the Ural.

Read the threads on handling. While the right turn gets major attention (and it should) the sneaky stuff can get you like the sudden left move when the throttles is turned all the way down or the move to the right when its opened up.

Its really good to break in with short local trips and let it sink in, repeat. While I had a grand time on my pickup trip (Portland) it was where I i went and what I saw and was on a cycle.

I am learning (or assimilating better) more on handling with my short local trips than I did on the long runs. Oddly, while I did not go as fast as in the past cycles, I put a couple of 12 hour days in the saddle and lived (a bit painful the last 4 hours each day in the butt)

Note one of my rides was my wifes R80GS when she gave it up and I came to love that 180 degree opposed engine.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

El queso
Party Member
Party Member

Post by El queso » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:15 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I went down the Ural rabbit hole a couple years ago and ended up purchasing a used 2013 Patrol T, which has been largely left stock and is trouble free. My take is that any regularly riden and well maintained bike manufactured in 2007 or later is going to be a relatively safe bet, and every year they have made improvements to quality and reliability (which doesn't equate to higher performance). The older bikes have their charms and their admirers.

The Ural community is quirky (aren't all motorcycle communities?) but generally pretty friendly and helpful, which is good because things like repair manuals are vague, outdated or non-existent. Parts support is limited, but there are a number or really good vendors who provide old-fashioned service.

The bike itself is a ton of fun - just go into it knowing it's not a modern high-performance vehicle.
2013 Patrol T & 2 dogs

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:45 pm

mquinn6 wrote:
Most of my friends believe I am nuts even looking at a Ural.
Was at an event over the summer and had someone come up to me and say "really like your bike, but I'd never buy one!" I guess I understand why he said that. Urals didn't used to have such a great reputation for being reliable, but they've come a long ways.

Lots of good advice here to give you an idea of what a Ural is nowadays. :)

Last edited by Happytrails on Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

El queso
Party Member
Party Member

Post by El queso » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:44 pm

mquinn6 wrote:
Most of my friends believe I am nuts even looking at a Ural.
Don't listen to the voices.

2013 Patrol T & 2 dogs

CamaroEric
Party Member
Party Member

Post by CamaroEric » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:51 am

Get one.
The joy of riding is sky high. Er... 'driving'.
Every day is an adventure.

Are you looking for a carb model or FI?
2008 Gear-Up
2012 NC700X
1962 F-100 Flareside 292 4-spd

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:20 am

Image this

Wish I'd done it sooner. My saddle time has doubled since getting it. Other bike(s) got left to go on the battery charger once a month. I even want to go out in winter. :D

All above good comments and advice. If not driven an outfit before, it's an Everest steep learning curve. All your experience on 2 wheels is worth diddly-squat. Worse, it's a hindrance. Took me 4 months to start feeling safe on it and 2 years to begin to feel properly confident. Lots of and frequent practice hours is the key.

+1 for local trips – I used to do hour long or so ride arounds, fortunately I have access to a lot of small country roads right on my doorstep that I could practice on without too much aggro from other road users.
Mike H

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:26 am

Footnote: most of my friends think it's brilliant when face to face with it and are genuinely surprised by the standard equipment and general build quality. I've even been told it suits me! "That is definitely you, that is."

:D
Mike H