2013 patrol newb question (low torque?)

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Geno89074
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: 2013 patrol newb question (low torque?)

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:28 am

if you can get it running and warmed up see what a gas tester will reveal.
I know my carbed bikes really like between 5-6% co after being ridden hard then brought into the shop to idle.
Especially important with the ducati 2valve monster, carbs get synched and then adjusted for co %
if the co is out the carbs are placed slightly out of synch in order to balance the mixture correctly and get both cylinders balanced correctly
this is what i use works great but a little fiddly to set up correctly
https://www.gunsonshop.com/contents/en- ... ester.html
2014 Ural Patrol

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:40 am

I have one carbed bike in particular that runs Great in the summer at my usual riding elevation (2200-3800 ft above sea level) in the really hot days of summer (oil cooled bike)
In the winter the same bike starts to lean sneeze between 3k-6k rpms, pilot and WOT circuits are fine so if I don't shim up the needles in the winter it stutters like crazy in colder (sub 50 degree F) weather.
I believe this is because with the performance mods I have done the carbs are very sensitive to the colder air being denser and supplying more oxygen so the weather conditions/temps actually lean out the A/F ratio enough to have an effect on the jetting when on the needles between 3k-6k

Since I donot have specific info for carbed urals I can't say if this would be the case but have found this with plenty of 2 cylinder bikes with carbs.
The gas tester is a great tool to find out what the mixture is actually doing with each cylinder before rejetting the carbs...too rich = smaller jets or lower/fatter taper needle (less gas permitted through emulsion tubes)
Have found it pretty important to actually go out and ride the bike hard for at least 10minutes before trying to establish the co%
2014 Ural Patrol

Syonyk
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Syonyk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:09 pm

Bendog02760 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:04 pm
Some good advice here!! My 2012, obviously carbs is definitely slow to get moving too. If your coming from a bike with decent performance it can seem alarmingly slow. There are days I come off one of my HD and hop on the Ural and think dam this thing is a tank.
On the flip side, it will make bikes you previously thought were gutless wonders feel like rockets! I used to ride Buells (sold them since I wasn't riding them), but I kept the Blast around because it's just a fun little bike. A 500cc thumper, light, fun, new rider friendly, etc. After spending a while on the Urals, it feels like a rocket!

OP: Definitely put the stock jets back in and see how it runs on those (be sure you get them in the right spots). They might be just about right for where you are, and if not, you'll have a baseline to work from. While you're in there, it's worth checking the head bolt torque and setting your valves - if they're too far off, they can cause all sorts of weird issues that act like a bad carb, but are just funky valve timing.

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Syonyk wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:09 pm

On the flip side, it will make bikes you previously thought were gutless wonders feel like rockets! I used to ride Buells (sold them since I wasn't riding them), but I kept the Blast around because it's just a fun little bike. A 500cc thumper, light, fun, new rider friendly, etc. After spending a while on the Urals, it feels like a rocket
I have a 2004 Blast for my daughter-she really enjoys it!!
Got rid of the wonky autochoke and put a manual choke cable system on it with some carb internals from cv performance
starts right up now every time compared to 10-20 minutes of swearing at the auto choke with the silicone w@* pellet that wouldn't cooperate
2014 Ural Patrol

RC20

Post by RC20 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:07 pm

snowymonkey wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:30 pm
Just gonna throw this out there. Not trying to be insulting.... honestly.

Is the parking brake off?

I ask because I don’t know of another bike that has one, so it would be easy to overlook to the uninitiated.
Well the parking break stops working fast (needs a LOT of adjusting ) and the smell is kind of telling!
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:17 pm

The parking brake on a 13 is very different from on the fuli rigs (unless I’m very wrong ..... in which case I’m sure someone here will chime in and chastise me). It’s down under your right foot instead of on the handle bars. Just pointing it out as an option. I know I’ve left mine on accidentally before and the first thing I notice is having to rev more to get going. Worth noting that mine only kinda works, because of some changes I made, so I have to park in gear.
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:53 pm

snowymonkey wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:17 pm
The parking brake on a 13 is very different from on the fuli rigs (unless I’m very wrong ..... in which case I’m sure someone here will chime in and chastise me). It’s down under your right foot instead of on the handle bars. Just pointing it out as an option. I know I’ve left mine on accidentally before and the first thing I notice is having to rev more to get going. Worth noting that mine only kinda works, because of some changes I made, so I have to park in gear.
I’m kinda the same with my rear/parking brake. I just keep the hub warm to the touch for tightness ref. On a slope the parking brake won’t always hold. To make your life easier, I believe BMW sells a wingnut for the brake adjustment so you’re not having to get a 12mm wrench and make multiple small turns.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:53 pm

Mine are pretty easy to adjust without a wrench. I just use one hand to push the lever forward to release tension on the adjuster. Then I use the other hand to adjust.
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

Syonyk
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Syonyk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:44 pm

Geno89074 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:59 pm
I have a 2004 Blast for my daughter-she really enjoys it!!
Got rid of the wonky autochoke and put a manual choke cable system on it with some carb internals from cv performance
starts right up now every time compared to 10-20 minutes of swearing at the auto choke with the silicone w@* pellet that wouldn't cooperate
I've never had a complaint with the auto-choke system. It's a carb'd bike that runs like an EFI bike, far as I'm concerned. It's weird on very rare occasions (mostly involving sitting long enough that the carb cools down but the engine hasn't), but... overall? It hasn't bothered me enough to rework.

Now, the carb shaking loose. That's a separate issue, and the blasted thing clearly hates having a carb present. I've remounted that thing so many times. I've got a SuperBoot for it, and the carb is currently supported by a couple springs as well.

That I removed the airbox and a bunch of other stuff might not have helped this. It's got a K&N cone filter, a custom intake with a splitter, a Jardine exhaust, most of the plastics missing...

snowymonkey wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:53 pm
Mine are pretty easy to adjust without a wrench. I just use one hand to push the lever forward to release tension on the adjuster. Then I use the other hand to adjust.
I do much the same. Just shove the lever forward, spin it until it doesn't spin easily, and you're good.

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:05 pm

Very nice setup on the blast
Have the super boot need to still install the springs
Have the Buell pro intake w/ k-n so very similar
They are really great little bikes
Problem is the jardine exhaust is so loud I would like to find a dB killer for the tail pipe outlet...
2014 Ural Patrol

Syonyk
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Syonyk » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:50 pm

I've got the quiet core insert. It helps quite a bit.

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:59 pm

Nice I would really like to look into that...Do I have to pull the exhaust off the bike to install??
It is like Real loud for a residential neighborhood
That's the way the PO had it set up
I will go down and take a photo to make sure it is the same exhaust your blast has
2014 Ural Patrol

Syonyk
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Syonyk » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:40 pm

No, it just taps into the opening and has a setscrew to hold it in place.

I agree that it's very loud without the insert. It's still got a solid thump to it with the insert, but it's an awful lot quieter and at least marginally acceptable for residential areas.