Newbie Restoring 60's or 70's model Ural

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
tim191k

Newbie Restoring 60's or 70's model Ural

Post by tim191k » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:24 am

I am really interested in restoring an older Ural. I am here in Russia and there are lots of old ones on OLX. What model (60's or 70's) would you all recommend? I am looking for reliability primarily. The "Russian Garage" has tons of new parts. Do the Ural motors interchange though the years.

I was a professional flat track racer and mechanic in the 70's.

Thanks for any help.

Tim

Claus
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Newbie Restoring 60's or 70's model Ural

Post by Claus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:36 am

Don´t go for the year. Buy a complete rig that runs very well and has been in one hand for many years. Buy as original as possible. They are rare meanwhile but there are some good old Urals left in Russia. 60´s or 70´s have 6V generators that make problems sometimes. Most of conversions to 12 V by welding on the engine housing cause more problems than a 6V generator. As I wrote:Buy as original as possible.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 659 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

tim191k

Re: Newbie Restoring 60's or 70's model Ural

Post by tim191k » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks very much for quick reply. What kind of problem is six volt. The Russian Garage has the parts to build a whole engine. I was think of building a new modern engine and restoring an original rolling chassis. You are right about availability. There are tons of them here in Donetsk. That's why I am more concerned with the year. Actually as old as possible really. And upgrade it internally to modern. Personal bike, not show bike. I am an American and I hope to tour Russia with my girlfriend. So a reliable highway bike. I guess there are upgrades or suggestions for reliability.

When I lived in the United States, really the only Russian word I knew was 'Ural'. lol I am a big bike lover and when I saw the prices here for whole bikes and parts I was shocked So I definitely want to do this. Really planning a frame up build. So I am looking for a frame as a basis. Handling, wieght, and differences. Want a sidecar too.

Thanks a lot for listening to me ramble. I am very excited about this plan.